Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Few Pulp Alley Questions  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
Re: A Few Pulp Alley Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
I stand corrected. I think one of the reasons for my confusion is that I didn't consider the use of combat skills actions. I was under the impression that actions were things like resolving or picking up plot points and using special abilities. I think it's due to the fact that is what is covered on the page titled actions. I guess I was "rules lawyering" a bit. Thank You to Dave, Panama, Marine0846, and nandrin, for correcting me and doing so courteously. Also, I'd like to say thank you to Arundel for posting the original question that allowed me to stick my foot in my mouth. Had he not done so, I would continue to play the game incorrectly. We both learned from this thread.

William :)
Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 11:37:48 PM »
Your welcome Gardensnake always happy to help when I can :)
Show me a gamer who never got a rule wrong & I'll show you a gamer who never played a game  lol lol

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 04:47:27 AM »
Thank you all again. Just had a great PA game, feeling much more confident!

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 05:03:02 AM »
That's great.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
I stand corrected. I think one of the reasons for my confusion is that I didn't consider the use of combat skills actions. I was under the impression that actions were things like resolving or picking up plot points and using special abilities. I think it's due to the fact that is what is covered on the page titled actions. I guess I was "rules lawyering" a bit. Thank You to Dave, Panama, Marine0846, and nandrin, for correcting me and doing so courteously. Also, I'd like to say thank you to Arundel for posting the original question that allowed me to stick my foot in my mouth. Had he not done so, I would continue to play the game incorrectly. We both learned from this thread.

William :)

Actually you were correct the first time, combat and actions are two separate things you can only do one or the other after moving (or standing still) May sound like semantics but some abilities (Goon, Beast) prevent actions, but allow combat.  :)
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »
Another:   ;)

Can a figure run his 12" and then brawl an enemy? I assume the answer is no, though the enemy figure would then still be considered engaged.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
Another:   ;)

Can a figure run his 12" and then brawl an enemy? I assume the answer is no, though the enemy figure would then still be considered engaged.

I don't have the rules handy, but I believe that you can, as, for example, running into contact in order to brawl (I forget the PA term) is effectively the only way for armoured characters to run.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »
yup, you can run (rush) up to 12" and initiate brawling, with no penalty.
However if you are more than 3" from the target of the rush, the target can choose to shoot (with +1D for close range), or stand and brawl.

You cannot run and do an action.

FYI
 If you run and shoot you get -1D.

:)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
Ah, I've been doing it wrong then. Thank you!

Just played a slightly tweaked "Bloody Sacrifice" scenario from Perilous Island. Crikey, that Gonga is a brute - even after dropping the Unstoppable ability (which I believe has been eliminated from the game), he still ripped apart the opposing side's sidekick and an ally or two. Glad it was the other fellas! Tremendous fun.

I'm really enjoying the rules (if you couldn't tell  lol ). Still having trouble keeping track of cards that attach to characters - I find in the heat of battle I forget them about 50% of the time - and sometimes wish it was a little easier to disengage, but all else is good; and even with those caveats it is probably a learning curve thing more than anything else.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »

I think this was already answered perfectly, but here's my two-cents anyway....

Yes, you can run and fight. In fact, if you end you move in contact with an enemy this automatically starts a brawl. This is not optional.

Remember, fighting is not an action. For example, you can run and fight. But you cannot run and perform an action.

Because Pulp Alley is much more than a skirmish game, we wanted a specific term for "all the other stuff" characters do - other than fighting. Actions are intended to be those things that might require a bit more time or concentration. Things that you just wouldn't do at a run.

And I still forget to play cards sometimes.  ;)

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
Ah, I've been doing it wrong then. Thank you!

Just played a slightly tweaked "Bloody Sacrifice" scenario from Perilous Island. Crikey, that Gonga is a brute - even after dropping the Unstoppable ability (which I believe has been eliminated from the game), he still ripped apart the opposing side's sidekick and an ally or two. Glad it was the other fellas! Tremendous fun.

I'm really enjoying the rules (if you couldn't tell  lol ). Still having trouble keeping track of cards that attach to characters - I find in the heat of battle I forget them about 50% of the time - and sometimes wish it was a little easier to disengage, but all else is good; and even with those caveats it is probably a learning curve thing more than anything else.

Yeah he did us in too!  lol
Must have eaten the camera man as we only had a couple of photos from the game!
Hiding was the best plan, those other guys in the pictures did not last too long...

Organizing is a challenge, we use card racks to hold our fortune deck cards, and our character records are kept on a white board with magnets, so we can 'attach' via magnet any condition cards or reward cards onto the characters.
It helps but only so far, things can still get confused in the heat of the moment. o_o

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 12:12:52 AM »
Some of my friends who play Wings of War/Glory, prop up their cards using chalkboard erasers, the ones with a set of grooves in them, like this (but without chalk on them):

Also, many here may not realize that there is a Pulp Alley forum with a rules section. Easier to find previous answers by Dave there, as that forum isn't as large as the one here. Check it out:

http://pulpalley.com/index.php
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
Actually you were correct the first time, combat and actions are two separate things you can only do one or the other after moving (or standing still) May sound like semantics but some abilities (Goon, Beast) prevent actions, but allow combat.  :)

Thank You for pointing this out. At least I wasn't a complete idiot :)

William

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 06:35:17 AM »
Yeah he did us in too!  lol
Must have eaten the camera man as we only had a couple of photos from the game!
Hiding was the best plan, those other guys in the pictures did not last too long...

Organizing is a challenge, we use card racks to hold our fortune deck cards, and our character records are kept on a white board with magnets, so we can 'attach' via magnet any condition cards or reward cards onto the characters.
It helps but only so far, things can still get confused in the heat of the moment. o_o

Okay,

I have to know, where is the giant gorilla model from? I've been looking for a good giant gorilla and so far have only found the Reaper one to my liking but that thing is expensive.

William

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
That eraser idea is brilliant! I love it when gamers get creative!  lol