Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686638
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Do you play L'Art De La Guerre  (Read 2928 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Do you play L'Art De La Guerre
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »
I'm thinking of picking it up for the first time to play this year, just wondered if we had players here on LAF?

Nick

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Do you play L'Art De La Guerre
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 01:07:19 PM »
I play a bit, and I enjoy it. It's better than Field of Glory (which got me into large ancients and medieval gaming) and games aren't too long (or too short!).

Madaxeman plays and posts a lot of related content:
https://www.madaxeman.com/

What army are you thinking of starting out with?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »
Not yet, but I would like to, once I can find the rulebook for a decent price, as the system seems to be more straightforward than DBMM's arcane algorithms...

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »
I'm thinking of picking it up for the first time to play this year, just wondered if we had players here on LAF?

Nick

Play as often as I can! Decent game with enough detail to keep it interesting while but without having to collect massive numbers of figures per army. The only issue I have is that some of the army lists are a bit strange (look like they were cobbled from old WRG ones)

Good circuit of really not competitive players for the 120 point game :-)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »
I've got a few armies from my WAB days I want to use, I'll rebase if needs be.

I've got:
Greek (Normal Hoplite and Spartan)
Carthage
Moors
Early Saxons
Vikings

But I've the start of a Byzantine army that's never marched out, I think that'd be the one I'd do first.

So as you can tell, I want to do it in 28mm rather than get into 15mm.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 06:17:54 PM »
I played a lot of DBM when it first came out, so I'm hoping that'll give me a 'foundation' in understanding the rules. Am I right?

(Just to say, I'm the distributor of the English language version, I've sent thousands of them out of the door at North Star but never stopped to read one. Rubbish innit?) i'm in the office tomorrow and I'm going to get a copy then.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »

I've played a lot.  25mm only here.  I think the games are the same regardless of scale, but I'm not sure.  We play on a 6x4 table.  I like the rules because they are really clean.  There is a bunch of errata that clarifies some things - free to download on the forum.  You should get those.  But really, there isn't anything fiddly in the set.  Rules are easy to remember.  There don't seem to be dominant or dog armies - stuff is all mostly playable.

I think you'll have fun with the set.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
(Just to say, I'm the distributor of the English language version, I've sent thousands of them out of the door at North Star but never stopped to read one. Rubbish innit?) i'm in the office tomorrow and I'm going to get a copy then.

Cool! I'll see what else I can add to my forthcoming order...

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 07:31:38 PM »
Aye, it's a great game Nick. As others have said, there is enough detail to keep it interesting, but it's elegant enough to keep it moving. Similar to DBX in a lot of ways, but much better written.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/search/label/L%27Art%20de%20la%20Guerre%20%28in%206mm%29?m=0

A number of battle reports there from Bronze Age and Hellenistic clashes.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »
We like it here.  Far superior to Sworpoint and To the Strongest. Different kind of game to Hail Ceasar, but better (elites actualy count for something).

We play solely in 25mm, 200 point games on an 8 x 4. Good for multi-player. 100 point games are OK, but would tend to use Basic Impetus for smaller games.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
We like it here.  Far superior to Sworpoint and To the Strongest. Different kind of game to Hail Ceasar, but better (elites actualy count for something).

We play solely in 25mm, 200 point games on an 8 x 4. Good for multi-player. 100 point games are OK, but would tend to use Basic Impetus for smaller games.

I pretty much second everything - except I'm not overly fond of Impetus. For ADG (L'AdlG), 200 point games are perfect. We have found 100 point games drag on a bit because of the limited CP available every turn.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
From the battle reports I have read there seems to be a lot of emphasis on trying to turn flanks, so much so that some of the reports, while interesting, don't seem to read like real ancient battles ( at least as how they are described by historians).

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
I've got a few armies from my WAB days I want to use, I'll rebase if needs be.

I've got:
Greek (Normal Hoplite and Spartan)
Carthage
Moors
Early Saxons
Vikings

But I've the start of a Byzantine army that's never marched out, I think that'd be the one I'd do first.

So as you can tell, I want to do it in 28mm rather than get into 15mm.

25mm has proved to be a real sweet spot for the game in the UK - the balance of table size vs troop density is pretty bang on in 25mm on a 6x4 to give you enough room to maneuver in order to make the game interesting (rather than a wall-to-wall line up and slog-fest), but still keeps enough bases and figures on table that it doesn't end up feeling like a skirmish-level game.

Theres a few folks in Derby who play in competitions, and the Rotherham club has a healthy ADLG community too - thats not too far from Nottingham I guess?
Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
I played it a bit after FOG died off. 
it is a game, not a simulation.  I was turned off by the unlikely abilty to turn to flank or about face and charge half distance into combat.  This maneuver seems impossible for even well drilled napoleonic soldiers so I don't like it in ancients.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.