Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Agema Miniatures' "Veterans of Hannibal".  (Read 1834 times)

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
Agema Miniatures' "Veterans of Hannibal".
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »
I bought a box of plastic miniatures from Agema, relating to the "Veterans of Hannibal".
It seems to me that the spears that are represented on these miniatures are precisely "spears", therefore not "pikes". The question is:
did Hannibal's Veterans not fight with "phalanx" formation? It was therefore an improper "Phalanx", that is armed with spears like the Greek one instead of pikes like the Macedonian one?

I thank those who want to give me some information about it.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Agema Miniatures' "Veterans of Hannibal".
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 05:35:14 AM »
Hannibal's Veterans, both Peoni & Lybian fought as hoplites not as Phalangites in the Macidonian style.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
You can compare hannibal's veterans with roman triarii.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »
Hannibal's Veterans, both Peoni & Lybian fought as hoplites not as Phalangites in the Macidonian style.

O.K., many thanks.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »
You can compare hannibal's veterans with roman triarii.

O.K., many thanks.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »
From what I understand, it was Xanthippus of Sparta that the Carthaginians hired in the First Punic War to train them in the art of proper Open plain warfare. The Carthaginians often avoided fighting the Romans in the open because  the Roman manipular system was absolutely devastating to them.  He apparently created the basic Carthaginian battle line (with elephants, cavalry, and the Phalanx) and trained a good number of troops in the Greek style of Phalanx warfare.

I'm not sure if the Carthaginians had the Phalanx going for them before this, but its apparent that Xanthippus did a great job in teaching them. But the tactics and phalanx he taught them was the Greek style phalanx ..   A Phalanx, as mentioned, is not about the type of weapon you have, but the formation the troops are in.  Phalanx could be Hoplite, or Pike armed.

Basically, Hannibal's veterans probably ended up looking very much like Triarii as they had plenty of chances to loot the battle fields in Roman territory. They probably entered Italy with gear and the style of Libyan / Greek hoplites and left it looking more like Triarii after discarding worn out gear and picking up Roman equipment.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
From what I understand, it was Xanthippus of Sparta that the Carthaginians hired in the First Punic War to train them in the art of proper Open plain warfare. The Carthaginians often avoided fighting the Romans in the open because  the Roman manipular system was absolutely devastating to them.  He apparently created the basic Carthaginian battle line (with elephants, cavalry, and the Phalanx) and trained a good number of troops in the Greek style of Phalanx warfare.

I'm not sure if the Carthaginians had the Phalanx going for them before this, but its apparent that Xanthippus did a great job in teaching them. But the tactics and phalanx he taught them was the Greek style phalanx ..   A Phalanx, as mentioned, is not about the type of weapon you have, but the formation the troops are in.  Phalanx could be Hoplite, or Pike armed.

Basically, Hannibal's veterans probably ended up looking very much like Triarii as they had plenty of chances to loot the battle fields in Roman territory. They probably entered Italy with gear and the style of Libyan / Greek hoplites and left it looking more like Triarii after discarding worn out gear and picking up Roman equipment.

Many thanks for the long, exhaustive answer. You are really kind.
Please accept our best wishes for a happy new year

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
More recent evidence suggests that it could have been the Carthaginians who introduced the theuros type of shield into Spain. This would mean that by the Second Punic War Hannibals spearman May have looked more similar to Romans than we credit, even before they had huge caches of captured Roman arms to re-equip rgemselves with.