Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bloody Antietam (The Afternoon Battle) - 10mm Fire & Fury  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Bloody Antietam (The Afternoon Battle) - 10mm Fire & Fury
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:05:27 AM »
The Chrimbo Game this year was a 10mm ACW battle fought with Fire & Fury 2nd Edition: the right flank of Bloody Antietam:
http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/12/29/bloody-antietam-the-afternoon-battle-17th-september-1862/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bloody Antietam (The Afternoon Battle) - 10mm Fire & Fury
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:01:51 PM »
Fantastic table setup! This gaming mat is superb!
Excellent pics!
Must have been a very enjoyable game!
Thank you also for posting the OOBs.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 12:10:59 AM »
Fantastic table setup! This gaming mat is superb!
Excellent pics!
Must have been a very enjoyable game!
Thank you also for posting the OOBs.
Cheers DtD!  The mat is great, but it wasn't cheap (I was feeling flush at the time), as I needed one wider than 4 feet, which tends to be the standard size of a bolt of cloth (I wanted 6x8 feet).  It also tends to be rather slippery and the troops therefore struggle on slopes, which is a little disappointing.

Yes, it turned out to be a great game, though I think the scenario could easily go rapidly pear-shaped for the Rebs if they have bad luck in those initial combats.  The Rebs are VERY weak and could easily turn into road-kill (I've heard from someone else who played the scenario (using 1st Edition) where this did indeed happen)!  However, firepower is markedly more deadly in the 2nd Edition, so I'd suggest that this is now a tougher nut for the Union to crack. 

On this occasion I was umpiring, but I thought at the time that the Union players got a little too distracted by A.P. Hill's approach and needed to think more about Maintenance of the Aim: Once the remainder of IX Corps was released, one of the two divisions should have made a bee-line straight for Sharpsburg - in our game at least one additional brigade could have joined the attack by Welsh & Lovell and an entire division of two brigades could have joined Lovell in the final attack.

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
Grand looking table & Figures!
 :o
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »