Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MDF Sci-Fi Terrain  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
MDF Sci-Fi Terrain
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
I have working on some industrial terrain for Rogue Stars and Kill Team type games and I am finally at the point where it all seems to be coming together.

I still have a few new ideas to finish, but the first game on the board was great fun.

This was Kill Team Starstriders vs Deathwatch with the task of holding objectives.

I need to do some more pictures and try to get the whole table in.
So much to do, so little time...

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: MDF Sci-Fi Terrain
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 10:37:43 AM »
Cool looking terrain, and I like the painting on the Starstriders.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 10
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
That's a great looking layout. I'm guessing you had to paint the terrain, any tips on the method used?

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »
That's a great looking layout. I'm guessing you had to paint the terrain, any tips on the method used?
After much faffing around, trying different techniques, I have settled on doing some bits with ink, using a sharpie and painting some bits.

Some bits had ben sprayed grey, but that takes too long and the weather has to be right, so I don't think I will do that anymore.

The metal is done with a Gun Metal paint straight onto the MDF.

I use a black sharpie to do some of the edges and the ladder rungs.

For most other areas, I am now using ink. The trick is to wipe the MDF first with a warm damp cloth to get rid of any sticky stuff. I then ink the components before building.

Even the railings are done with a black/grey ink and it comes up good after a bit of drybrushing.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »
What I heard was that the MDF tends to 'drink' paint, and several layers with the first couple to seal the wood is not far amiss. Anything like your experience?

I've several kits for projects that are patently waiting me getting off my keister. As if...

Doug

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:10:37 AM »
I use Halfords spray primer for mdf, tends to seal it well enough to splatter paint upon after. Other sprays like GW sprays can take a couple of coats but still faster than hand painting especially if you do it whilst still in sheet form.

That or seal it with MDF sealer, again, whilst still in sheet form. It's not expensive.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »
I too use Halfords spray, thogh I have waited until most of it is assembled.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:12:51 PM »
@Coronasan - thanks for the advice, I would never have guessed an ink base coat, even though I use the same Daler Rowney ink for basing.

The Sharpie idea is great for edging jobs, can't believe I didn't think of that before - I've got a load of mounting board cut out for forest bases and have been putting off painting the edges out of laziness. I'll swipe the brown out of the pack of Sharpies the Mrs bought cheap from the supermarket the other week  ;) , job's a good'un.

Thanks!

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
What I heard was that the MDF tends to 'drink' paint, and several layers with the first couple to seal the wood is not far amiss. Anything like your experience?
It is exactly why I have moved to ink when possible.

I use Halfords spray primer for mdf, tends to seal it well enough to splatter paint upon after. Other sprays like GW sprays can take a couple of coats but still faster than hand painting especially if you do it whilst still in sheet form.
I would not like to think about how many cans of Halfords spray I have been through over the years...

Only a decade or so too late, but I am buying a compressor and an airbrush.