Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:26:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689786
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arabs, Turks and all that.....  (Read 1438 times)

Offline nickthegreek

• Bookworm
Arabs, Turks and all that.....
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »
Greetings,
I have been accumulating a reasonable amount of Middle Eastern types from Artizan, Black Tree and very soon I’ll take possession of some Footsore Caliphates.
I’m very keen to maximize their usage across multiple centuries and conflicts such as Iberia, Sicily, Crusades, Middle East l, steppes and to represent Seljuk, Timurids, Persians, Arabs etc.....
This is where I need your help is there any do and dont’s with the colours I should use?
In particular these palettes colorful & or patterned, black and white/tan?

Suggestions very welcomed.

Offline frenchfever

• Scientist
Re: Arabs, Turks and all that.....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »
i found some sketches on Google for uniform colors but seriously i prefer to create my own

i used  first layer black and then brush white/tan

but you can also start with citadel bone or light tan and use inks

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:51:18 PM »
I put together a Taifa kingdoms army using a variety of different manufacturers including  some converted WGF Persians. The Andalusian Muslims seemed to prefer quite colorful clothing though I reserved this for the royalty and painted the common soldiers and militia in subdued colors with a lot of white. My impression of the Turks is that initially their dress was more earth tones for the most part, however exposure to the Arabs and Persians expanded their wardrobe and colors. I found the Osprey books really helpful such as Armies of the Caliphates and Armies of the Muslim Conquest.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
Greetings,
I have been accumulating a reasonable amount of Middle Eastern types from Artizan, Black Tree and very soon I’ll take possession of some Footsore Caliphates.
I’m very keen to maximize their usage across multiple centuries and conflicts such as Iberia, Sicily, Crusades, Middle East l, steppes and to represent Seljuk, Timurids, Persians, Arabs etc.....
This is where I need your help is there any do and dont’s with the colours I should use?
In particular these palettes colorful & or patterned, black and white/tan?

Suggestions very welcomed.

Sounds like Footsore / War Banner are about to create a Crusades range and the sculptor is rumoured to be Paul Hicks. So the "best is yet to come" perhaps.

Seems a shame to paint your Islamics in dull, drab colours. Embroidery and bright colours seem appropriate, at least for the nobility and cavalry from my reading of Osprey books.