Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:27:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jagdpanzer Beutepanzer SU-75/L70 (r)  (Read 2649 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Jagdpanzer Beutepanzer SU-75/L70 (r)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
Unimaginative? What? What a load...

Tank's fine. Painting and conversion seem perfectly decent to me.

As has been said, the Germans would use damn near anything they could and a captured SU being pressed into service would have hardly been a stretch considering heavy German use of casemate tanks and experience with other Russian tanks on the T-34 platform.

Lord protect us from idiot purists...  ::)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 11:08:52 PM »

Quite so, its a damn fine piece of work and the nay-sayers can poke it up their collective tight bottom's :o

Keep up the good work, and don't give a damn what others say

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 07:47:03 AM »
I love that!. I have little knowledge of ww2 vehicles but calling you unimaginative for something that may never have been a beautepanzer seems contradictory to me. Nevertheless it looks great and if I gamed in ww2 or had a display case I'd happily show that piece off.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »
The SU-122 on T-34 chassis was used by the Germans:

Then there was the Furher Befehl that ordered as many anti-tank weapons should be self propelled as possible.  So a captured Su-122 with damaged gun married to a damaged Panther with incact gun by an enterprising Field or base workshop. 

There are not many records of SU-122 being used by the Germans and even fewer photos.  But it has to be remembered that many German records were lost particularly in the East.  As my History professor often said - "Always remember that absence of evidence is never evidence of absence". 

So carry on making interesting and imaginative vehicles.  I do though not nearly as well made as yours:
Completely fictional SdKfz 234/6 APC (made from 2 very badly damaged Airfix models)

Another, an equally fictional SdKfz 234/7 8cm Mortar carrier

And I have a kit ready to become the SdKfz 234/5 Flak

If anyone has any spare Airfix 234's lying about in almost any condition I'll be interested in them to create even more fictional variants!  - Pionier, Ambulance, Command, more (different) APC types.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
Totally agree. If those interested in the subject (as I am), then the beutepanzer.ru website is well worth a visit.

For the SU-122 there are the following pages:
http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/su/color/SU-spg/su-t34based.htm
http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/su/su-122/su-122.htm
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 11:13:05 AM »

Aren't we going as bit to the other extreme? I think the problem here were not the purists (call me idiot purist, but I will never game with that thing or allow an opponent to get it on the table), but people gratuitously attacking James' work and defining it 'unimaginative' (okay consider he imagined the whole thing... ).
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »
Or allow an opponent to get it on the table
Don't worry. That's one of the biggest reasons I game alone with toy tanks and avoid the Bolt Action community as much as humanly possible  lol

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
Well I add to add the disclaimer to the table sentence 'except by agreement on both sides and in a plausible scenario' . The original version was too much... fanatical...  lol

I also do not play Bolt Action (the community seems polluted, even in Italy from what I have been told).

My comments on allowing opponents... well it is a lovely fictional vehicle you have created yourself, but if we are playing a pick up game... let's say Battlegroup or CoC and you put it on the table... well we can end in countelss debates. On the other way if you have crafted a awesome scenario (or we have done it together) and the vehicles as a role and a meaning in the scenario... it is different. But the fact we are using fictional stuff has to be agree beforehand (to avoid lot of discussion... done it with my cousin years ago for fun... turned out it was less fun that both of us expected... not sure if it was the fictionalized stuff spoiling the atmosphere, or the fact we were using fictionalized stuff to get unduly edge over each other...).

But I think one of the issue run deeper, I feel awkward at 'bastardizing' historical vehicles (but not at the actual historical bastardizations... Kommando Becker anyone?).  I also have issues at the idea 'use a spare barrel' it has to be balanced, the trunions had to fit, the sights aligned, blah, blah, blah...

Instead one thing that always enthused me are the 'potential buys', vehicles or ships that could have been fielded  by an operator (because they were bought but not delivered, contract not finalized, discussed and then moved on...). The Classical example is the plausible idea of Polish S-35 (what a nasty surprise for Fitz Panzer Is from another thread), continued Sino-German cooperation past 1938 (and no Soviet mass arms sale to the GMD).

Or Republic of China Ansaldo Heavy Cruisers... (what a Chinese  8" armed gun cruiser would have done in Shanghai in 1937?).

But certainly I think your talent is wasted in imaginative vehicles...   :D