Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689495
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Askari - several years in the making  (Read 26178 times)

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
Re: Askari - several years in the making
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »
Nice Warbases Russian buildings, for the wooden walls, then the roof covered in the kids chicken sub, corigated cardboard, to give the corigated iron effect.

Flatpack

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 07:10:07 PM »
Welcome to the madness! I think you'll have a lot of fun gaming this region/era.  Your set up looks great!

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 09:01:45 PM »
Many thanks Chris
Looking forward to it.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 10:00:41 AM »
So, we actually played a game with the figures yesterday morning.

We were able the field about 10 German units, plus 5 MGs, and 2 artillery pieces.
The British could field about 5 infantry units, a couple of Lewis gunners, 1 MG, 2 mortars, and a Rolls Royce armoured car.

Rules used were TMWWBK.

The idea was the the Brits had to hold, the tea and goods warehouse on the right hand side of the table, but also had to venture forth to try to take the railway station in the town at the top of the table.

The Germans were also given the same objectives.

Little did we know at the start of the game, what a major part all the “wild animals” would play, as they gracefully roamed around the battlefield (and I don’t want any clever button counters telling me that they would have run away at the sound of the first gun shot, as I know that BUT that would have made for a boring game, and we don’t like boring games do we?)

So here’s the initial set up.
Germans on the left, Brits on the right.

Here you can see the Brits holding the warehouse.

And again, British initial deployment.

German initial deployment was immediately effected by roaming elephants.

The elephants really hampered the Germans deployment, as it looked like the German officer in charge of the railway section (JC), was playing chess with the elephants, moving one way and then the other.

The German Askari further down the line, started to advance on the Brits, in an out flanking manoeuvre, only for zebras to appear. More like battle of the bar codes.

The British mortar teams then opened up on the Germans, so the Germans attacked them with Germanic zebras.

By the way, all the animals were on the table at the start of the game, but Pete came up with a cunning plan, that allowed us to activate them, as and when, but then we threw direction dice and a D6, to see which way they moved.

To counter the British mortars, the Germans opened up with their artillery.

Those piggin’ Elephants were still playing havoc in the town.

The British fired up their armoured car and advanced beyond the tea warehouse.

Then the British started to advance towards the railway station. I think they were hoping the elephants would wipe out the Germans, so they could save wasting bullets on the enemy.

It was all stating to heat up, so the beer was broken out.

German sea battalion advances on the warehouse, trying to avoid the giraffes.

TECHNICAL POINT, TECHNICAL POINT.
From an issue raised in an earlier reply post........Elephant grass, that actually is as tall as an elephant ! I thank you...lol

Brits still advancing on the railway station, but James blue shirt Brits are extremely reluctant to come out and play

British armoured car holds off the Germans at the warehouse.
The orange marker was used to show that a crew member had been killed.

German troops, still pushing thro the jungle, to outflank the Brits.

German troops driving off the British approaching troops at the railway station and successfully holding the centre of the battlefield.

Onwards Askari, onwards.....but it’s a jungle out there.

So to the dying embers of the game.
The British armoured car saves the day for them at the warehouse, fighting off several German units.

The Germans still held the railway station, and the Brits still held the warehouse, so we called it a draw.

We had a great game and many laughs were had.

Not bad for a Saturday morning, BATTLES, BEER, BUTTIES AND BANTER, what more could you ask for in a hobby.

Thanks to all involved.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 10:03:49 AM »
Where is the prone/lying Elephant from?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
Superb ! Very well done  :-*

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »
I believe the prone/lying down elephant, was an ornament from a charity shop, that was repainted ?
Pete, tell us all about it ?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 10:18:14 AM »
Thank you.

I believe the prone/lying down elephant, was an ornament from a charity shop, that was repainted ?
Pete, tell us all about it ?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
Flatpack is right, the lying down (baby) elephant (& the mother) are an ornament from a charity shop.
Cost was (I think) was about 50p , a repaint & base up & it joined the herd. As has been said,
this 'project' has been brewing for a while. That has allowed a lot of mooching time, not just
shows, but also things like charity shops.
Many thanks to Flatpack (Bob) for his boundles enthusiasm, buildings  bonhomie, beer & butties,
as without them it would have been fun & probably not have happened.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 10:53:33 AM »
Wow it looks fantastic, great photos, will try to be there next time to take personal command of my reluctant Brits.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »
Great looking table and game :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
well worth the wait

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
GREAT looking game, and happy for you all it was a lot of fun.

What rules did you use for the armoured car (I ask as I'm thinking of using TMWWBK for Freikorps battles)?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 01:48:01 PM »
As TMwwbK rules do not have A/cars mortars or wild animals we just made up some simple
rules. They have to be 'simple' as we are all getting on & don't do 'complex' any more.
For those interested here they are:-

Vehicles. Go up, or down, the gears. 1st gear (starting) = 1x D6 inches. 2nd gear = 2x D6 etc.
A one when attempting to start = fail. The inches achieved when moving = maximum, you can do less if you want (throw 14" does not mean you have to do that, but could do say 8")
If you get more 1s than other scores = failure (umpire/ other players decide) e.g. tire blow out,
stalled, out of petrol etc. (if you want you could draw up a chart & dice on it)

Mortars. We gave them two ranges (as per TMwwbK) N.B. they must have a minimum distance.
We had 12" to 24" & long range 24" to 36". If owner managed to fire (our Empress Miniatures
'Oliver & Hardy' mortar kept failing, "That's another fine mess you've gotten me into") he chose an 'aim point' then threw artillery deviation dice (games workshop) the deviation was in CMs if at
short range, inches if long ranges. If still within 2" of (any) target = hits. If within 6" of (any)
target = hits, but counts as another level of cover (as per TMwwbK)

Animals. Each of the five players were given two 'hazard' cards. They could play them at any
time they thought appropriate. This activated an animal threat. The elephants were the most
effective of the British troops! JC, the left wing German commander decided not to fire at them
due to a believe that several tons of beasts 'wandering around' were less of a threat than a
stampeding herd. Any beasts activated were controlled by artillery deviation dice until they
left the area. The elephants did (eventually) wander off table & the lions disappeared further into
the jungle.
It is planned to do a series of event cards to cover what the animals do, such as 'Any unit crossing
a stream has attracted crocodiles' or 'Anyone in a boat has awoken hippos' with covering rules on the cards.
(Hopefully) more pictures of the game. They show how far Flatpack will go for a picture.
The 'Tea warehouse' was a Sarrissa kit Christmas gift from Dicemaster (Garry). It is a Roman
workhouse, but will be used in many different time zones. The Tea signs were cut out (from tea
bags & packs) then attached to the building with spots of Blue Tack.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
"Little did we know at the start of the game, what a major part all the “wild animals” would play, as they gracefully roamed around the battlefield (and I don’t want any clever button counters telling me that they would have run away at the sound of the first gun shot, as I know that BUT that would have made for a boring game, and we don’t like boring games do we?)"

No, we most certainly don't - like boring games, that is.  And how can any game not be enhanced by animals roaming amount causing mayhem, especially in Africa?!  Alas, I didn't see the crocs, hippos, or ostrich make an appearance (as mentioned early in this thread to be lurking about). 

Of course, there is a class of player who takes critterly mayhem amiss in a good game.  Such sad souls weren't in line the day senses of humor were handed out methinks. 

Looks like a really fun game.  Hope to see more.  And keep those critters busy, please!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:59:19 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
(and I don’t want any clever button counters telling me that they would have run away at the sound of the first gun shot, as I know that BUT that would have made for a boring game, and we don’t like boring games do we?)"

Where to run to when there's popguns going off all around?
In my 'umble opinion a charging effelump would be a handful going in any direction!!!

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"