Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690734
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for a Film crew  (Read 2641 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Rules for a Film crew
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »
I have recently painted up a Pulp Figures film crew and it has got me thinking I would like to use them in a game of .45 Adventures.
The problem is that I am not sure on how to fit them into the game. I have seen other people use them in games before. I like the idea of them having to film certain parts of the action but I don’t want them to be just extras. I want the filming to be part of the game.
Does anybody have any suggestions for rules or abilities to allow them to be a part of the game?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Rules for a Film crew
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »
When I did my Kong-style game (not .45 Adventures, though) one team was film-makers (with a bit of security). They had a list of things that would make good footage, and got victory points for each one they shot. Such things as filming the native ritual (low points), getting footage of a giant beast (more points), or of two giant beasts fighting (even more points). I can't remember the full list of things deemed cinematic enough to be points-worthy, but it was quite easy to come up with.

If the camera and film were lost, the only way for them to win was to capture the Kong beast, to take back to civilisation, just like in the movies.

You can see it here:

http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/search/label/VSF%20and%20Pulp

Due to the way blogs work, Episode Two comes before Episode One. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:27:15 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »
Cheers Plynkes
I think it was this battle report from earlier that made me want to buy the film crew in the first place.
But since then the old memory has gone and I forgot where I had seen them.
I will need to think how victory points will fit into .45.
What rules did you use?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »
Rules were homebrew, but borrowing a lot from "In the Heart of Africa" as that's what we happened to be playing a lot at the time.

You needn't count them as actual "Victory Points". In fact we didn't really use victory points, it was only the film-makers that were using a points system, and their player wasn't aware of it while we were playing. He was just told to film stuff he thought would make good cinema. I had the different scenes worth different points and to succeed in their quest the crew had to amass ten points worth of footage, which would be deemed enough for their movie. You could do that or just say they have to film a certain number of scenes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:42:34 PM by Plynkes »

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
Chain reaction 2 had rules for media crews (omitted from the chain reaction 3 update) that allowed the media camera person to get shots by rolling a ranged combat hit. Each successful shot was worth points. The reporter could also get a sound bite from an interview by successfully performing a hand to hand attack. Failure got a "no comment". Points awarded for each sound bite.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »
In .45A you could make it a brains check modified by a camera operation skill. Circumstance bonuses/negatives could apply, such as trying to film a fight scene.

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:11:07 AM »
The Bengal Club is, intermittently, running a Wild West Campaign.
One of the players is actually running a film crew, using these very same figures.  Whilst other, normal, players receive points for shooting people, stealing things, etc.  The Film director gets points for 'capturing the action.'  He also displayed a fine strategic sense of 'spilling the beans' about impending bank robberies so that there would be enough lawmen on site to make for a dramatic shoot-out.
We also ran a very successful one-off scenario using the film crews and 'East Coast Contractors' representing the Patents Trust.  One of the reasons film makers moved from the US East Coast to the West was the fine weather.  The other was that they didn't want to pay the exorbitant patent royalties to the inventors of the various cameras.  Thomas Edison especially had a tendency to hire gangland mobsters to beat up directors and shoot up cameras.
The ITV documentary on Silent Movie Hollywood had a nice interview with director Alan Dwan who recounted a confrontation with East Coast torpedoes that involved much brandishing of six-guns, and a timely intervention by his extras, who were all working cowboys afraid of losing their $5.00 a day job. We made the scenario just a little bit more violent, and it was a whole lot of fun.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
I use the Crew in a few Lost World 45 A. Games .
The object of the crew was to film the blond girl in front of some Actions .
actions means in front of violence,sex (topless natives ),wild desperate actions, Monsters and rituals.

every `´action`` filmed give one point that means filming the blond girl in front of a Raptor (1) attack (1) a  topless native(1) in front of King Kong(1) give you 4 Points.

The problem was to get all that models in the right position and the shot a film .

The team as to get a number of points to win the game .

we use the camera like a shooting weapon and the camera guy has to make a shooting roll to make a good picture.

The rules drive the payers to wild and hartless actions maby feed dio´s with bodyguard sailors and work very well .

hope that help you
Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »
Getting loads of ideas here :o
Thanks guys :D