Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lost Egg's January Challenge...to complete an Elven Erehwon Warband  (Read 9593 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
For anyone who doesn't know Warlord Games are releasing Erehwon, a Fantasy rulebook using their Order Dice system from Antares and Bolt Action. From hat little has been revealed so far I like the sound of it so I had an idea...

The Plan
The project is simple…to build a starter warband for Erehwon by the end of Jan. The basic idea is to use a single box of Oathmark Elves along with some 25mm round bases…plus some washers. No idea if the game is going to be any good* but £25** is hardly a massive loss if the game doesn’t light my fire.

• Leader & 2 bodyguards
  • 3 units of 5 spears
  • 2 units of 5 archers or slingers

* Well I have some idea as I like the look of the Antares system even if I didn’t actually dive into the game.

** Tell a lie…it was £22.50 as I got me a good deal.

This should give me a solid base to build upon if the game lights my fire. Now, for many building and painting such a small force may not sound like much of a challenge but for me, a slooooow painter, this is quite a big ask that I doubt I can actually pull off...that's not gunna stop me from having a bash though :D

Day 1.
Not much to show yet as I've only just started but here is a shot of what's done so far...

...tell a lie...I have green stuffed the bases with some pebbles and I've cleaned up the spear arms for these guys, still that's not much done so far...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:38:40 AM by Lost Egg »
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Lost Egg's January Challenge...to complete an Elven Erehwon Warband
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »
Good luck. I’m also looking out for Erewon.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:45:44 PM »
Nice little project. I’m planning on tidying up my ancient undead army for Erehwon, as well as seeing how it goes with some other forces I have

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »
Thanks guys :D

Day 2.
Technically its day 3 as I started a day early bit heyho...anyway, the first 5 elves are built...

The mould line were pretty minimal and they were easy to fit together but they do seem a little limited in terms of poses; I will try and play about with poses more with the next unit of spears, though I will build a unit of 5 bows next. The fella with the feather on his helm is the leader; just a simple quick way of highlighting him.

I've since undercoated them and will start painting them tonight.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
Interesting plan. Good luck.

The elves look good.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:12:27 PM »
I'm curious about Erehwon, too. Nothing wrong with a nice simple project either; I find it helps me get more things finished when I don't have to deal with hordes of miniatures all at once. Good luck keeping up the progress!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:41:42 AM »
Cheers. I have been struggling with completing anything at the mo so am trying to stick to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) :D

Day 3.
I managed to start on the chainmail which just needs a final drybrush; sadly my hobby time is very limited and combined with a cold that is currently making my eyes water a good'un progress is slow but I'm hoping to pick up the pace a bit once I've got all me colours sorted and my heads cleared.

No progress tonight with painting as its Date Night but I may well get the chance to jot down some fluff notes as I always like to have some kind of story behind any project.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »
Sorry no fluff update but here is where I'm at after last nights painting...

More painting tonight and maybe I will get a chance to play around with the fluff a bit more...will have to just wait and see :D

Oh yeah, the WoE FB page has posted some info on the Elves...

The elves!

Of course, they are outstanding archers and the quality of their equipment exceeds the norm, but what distinguishes them the most is their incredible arogance that allows them to automatically succeed their first Breaktest.

Elven warriors are clearly fragile, but when equipped with spear, they remain a considerable threat especially supported by archers. Spears can be thrown during the close up of hand to hand combat.

They also have rangers, a mighty cavalry, giant eagles, chariots and two war machines that take advantage of their increased accuracy.

Sounds like spearmen and archers are definitely the way to go.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »
Day 6 Update...

So far these daily updates seem to be keeping me focused, yay!

I'm not sure what symbol I'm going to paint on the shields yet. Looking at the pic I think I might change my plan for the colour of the spear shafts and go for white to help balance the minis out.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:24:58 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
Day 7...

Things are chugging along slowly.

I've got a plan for the shields now...they will have a white diagonal line across them...in the future I might add a transfer or something freehand. I've was a bit unsure of the colour scheme a few days ago but I think its starting to come together now. A full warband of these guys should look pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:25:12 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
Day 8...

...hmm...might have to get my skates on if I want to get an entire warband built in time...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:25:22 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 01:57:25 PM »
Day 9...

...and they are done...well at least for now. I'm pretty pleased with them considering how quickly I have managed to turn them around though I may well choose to revisit them at some point.

No peace for the wicked so I will start building a unit of 5 archers tonight...hopefully I can get them done quicker.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:25:33 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
They certainly turned out alright. The white spear shafts are a definite improvement on the previous colour - makes the figures pop a bit more with the contrast. Will you perhaps do just a little extra shading/highlighting to make them even better?
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
Thanks Little Odo. Yep, the plan is to try and get the whole warband painted up like this then to go back and finish them off. They need some highlights and the green bits of armour kinda float above the rest of the mini so it needs a wash or two to kinda bind it together. Plus I need to do a symbol on the shields. The faces definitely need attention too.

I've cleaned up the bodies of the archers, fixed them to bases, added washers to weigh them down and GS'd the bases with some larger pebbles. Tonight I will try and finish building them if I can and sand the bases ready for undercoating and paint tomorrow...but that's quite a bit for me so will just have to see how it goes.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »
Those elves are pretty good, especially like the helmets. Choice of colours is good but I think an extra highlight on the green would make a lot of difference. But for a quicky to get them on the table they're more than excellent  :).
Leadhead