Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lost Egg's January Challenge...to complete an Elven Erehwon Warband  (Read 9687 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Lost Egg's January Challenge...to complete an Elven Erehwon Warband
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
Even if you don’t reach the goal, you will have accomplished something. Keep up the good work.

Cheers mate :D

Great work, but one thing has been nagging me as I looked at your painted archers and spearmen. Are you really married to the idea of bright white spearshafts and bows? I can almost see it as working for the spearshafts, but the bows in bright white are kind of off-putting to me. Is there a reason you rejected the standard wood color?

Yep the pics have been taken with a flash which may be bleaching them out a touch. I went with the white bows to kinda balance them out against the spearmen. I did try brown spears but they just ended up looking too dark.

Day 23

The 2nd unit of spears are done! Yay...Here's a pic of the warband so far...

This is the half way mark so when I start building my 2nd unit of archers in a mo I will be sneaking just over half way :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »
I was going to do a little update today with a pic of my 2nd archer unit ready for undercoating...then I undercoated them...so they are kinda greyish and dull.

Pic to follow tomorrow :D

I already have some ideas for expanding the warband but will have to wait till the book arrives...and till I finish what I have :D

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 07:18:15 AM »
There's 4 days left, you can do it!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »
Four days is plenty of time!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 09:15:40 AM »
  :o 4 days :o ...you must be kidding...I might just get my archers done in that time. lol

Hopefully my book will turn up today and I can actually write a list for 500pts (a good size intro game apparently) and if I'm lucky I might not need to add much more.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »
Day 27

And look what arrived this afternoon...after I had given up hope foe the day :D

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »
I like the white spears and bows!

Great colour scheme overall.

Out of curiosity, do these plastic elves give you options for more dynamic poses? Each unit seems posed very uniformly - there's certainly nothing wrong with that, and perhaps it suits elves well, I'm just wondering if you can get other spear poses out of the kit.

Offline CommanderBaker

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 06:39:59 PM »
Consider me inspired, I just started a Knightly Order Army for Erehwon. Going to make a post here now. Your elves look great!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 08:06:20 AM »
Thanks guys :D

Now I've got the book I've started playing around with a small intro 500pt list which is pretty tight for Elves. At the moment I am thinking...

• Lord & 2 Bodyguards...108pts
  • 5 Warriors with spears...95pts
  • 5 Archers...105pts

With no upgrades (beyond the free spears) this gives me a total of 498pts. I have tried to stick to what I can build with a single Oathmark box though I could drop a unit and buy upgrades and extra warriors or archers; I could also drop a unit of warriors and convert up a mage but I have seen people saying it's best to not include wizards in 500pt games, presumably as they could be overpowered. I do have ideas for converting cavalry, knights and a mage but we will see as I'd also like to build some Celtos warbands.

I have yet to read the book beyond the intro and the Elf list but it looks nice and is thicker than I expected...you get a lot of bang for your buck. Also, I have heard some complain about the basic layout but personally I prefer the clean look...it certainly makes it easier to read as my dyslexiz can make some books a chore. There is some really nice artwork in there too.

Out of curiosity, do these plastic elves give you options for more dynamic poses? Each unit seems posed very uniformly - there's certainly nothing wrong with that, and perhaps it suits elves well, I'm just wondering if you can get other spear poses out of the kit.

I decided to go with a more regimented look with my elves to give them that disciplined look. For each of the spear units I've used the full set of arms but you can obviously change the angle they are glued on at. They aren't very dynamic options which is a little disappointing but the options are still pretty solid. For the archers there are 3 basic bow poses fired, drawing and holding the bow down. Again pretty solid and I just made sure to go for the regimented disciplined look again, if I make a unit of rangers then I will probably go for a more mixed look.

Consider me inspired, I just started a Knightly Order Army for Erehwon. Going to make a post here now. Your elves look great!

Wow, thanks Commander  8) Make sure you post a link I'd love to check them out...what size warband are you going to make?

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »
Does it cost extra to make your Elves have swords ?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
Nope they come with swords as standard. Spears are free; they are thrown as you close into combat. Long spears cost and they cancel enemy charge bonus I think.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »
Awesome. I want to repurpose my LOTR Last Alliance Elves

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »
Go for it mate...there are no double handed sword options but I'm sure you could come up with something...I imagine some of the entries for another faction have that option so just transplant the rule across.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »
Go for it mate...there are no double handed sword options but I'm sure you could come up with something...I imagine some of the entries for another faction have that option so just transplant the rule across.

I'll just run them a sword/spear/bow elves with Gil Galad or Elrond as a Warlord, probably scrounge up an elven sorceror and the Rivendell Cavalry work nicely.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 06:07:17 PM »
Sounds good mate :D Those elves are lovely minis.

Day 28

Archer unit 2 is getting there...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:46:52 PM by Lost Egg »