Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lost Egg's January Challenge...to complete an Elven Erehwon Warband  (Read 9594 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Lost Egg's January Challenge...to complete an Elven Erehwon Warband
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
The final day (of Jan) to go...

Day 30

These guys are nearly there...sadly I'm not quite sure I will finish them tonight as I need to paint the bases, varnish them and static grass them but still I think I've done well. If I'd got my copy of WoE earlier I could have actually done the Elf Lord and his 2 bodyguards instead and then I would have done a full 500pt starter warband. Never mind.

I'm not quite sure what I am going to do next...maybe the Lord of maybe the 3rd planned unit of spears...lets just wait and see...
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 03:52:21 PM »
Day 31
...I made it...well sort of :D I somehow managed to stay on target even though I didn't quite reach my frankly unrealistic goal...huzzah!

From my initial goal I have only a single unit of 5 spears to go as well as the Lord & 2 bodyguards. Thats bloody good going for me. Here's a pic of everything I managed to get done in Jan...

So...what's next then? Well as much as I'd like to do the Lord & his crew next I am waiting for something to arrive so its a unit of spears again which I will be starting tomorrow...

...still can't quite believe I've painted this many minis...  o_o

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2019, 11:31:38 AM »
Not a bad pace at all and with a very decent level of painterly skills. I am impressed. Thanks for sharing, and I am looking forward to seeing you complete the whole warband. No pressure  lol
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49:10 PM »
Thanks Little Odo :D Judging by my recent progress it may take some time  lol

Update time...Day 42

As you can see progress has stalled to a crawl, I think I'm suffering a bit of burn out plus I've been ill (and am again) and everyone else in my family has too then on top of that we had the maddness surrounding my sons 7th birthday and have just over a week till my daughters 5th birthday. Still at least things have kept moving.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 08:42:26 PM »
More progress and the unit is finished...only 9 days later...Day 51

It really is starting to look like a good sized force...

To complete my initial plan for 500pts I have just the Lord and his 2 bodyguards to go...almost there...

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 08:42:38 AM »
Very impressive :)

If 500 points of infantry takes 2 months to complete, and infantry usually offers the worst points per model ratio, you should be able to paint several thousand points of Erehwon armies a year at this rate.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
Don't be hard (boiled) in yourself. You did an amazing job! Did you reach your target? Maybe not, but you managed to paint an entire warband of 25 models in a month. That is something to be proud of and happy with!

They look wonderful too! They remind me of my first Wood Elf army, way before plastic boxed sets were a thing, though I never managed to reach 25 models painted haha.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
Very impressive :)

If 500 points of infantry takes 2 months to complete, and infantry usually offers the worst points per model ratio, you should be able to paint several thousand points of Erehwon armies a year at this rate.

Thanks Munindk  8) I don't think I could keep my enthusiasm up for anywhere near a year. :D

Once these Elves are done I have a mind to build some 500pt warbands from the old Celtos ranges as I am a sucker for my ancestral Celtic myths; the minis are mostly very nice though the cricket bat weapons are a bit much, still I think they are the best ones out there. I've been drawn to that range for ages but the Celtos game is effectively dead; they still sell the rulebook but no one seems to play it and Brigade have been playtesting a new version of the rules for years...oddly they seem to want to push the game towards mass battle though I'm not sure how they can hope to compete in that market without plastics. Anyway I am thinking that WoE might be just what Celtos needs as the scale of game Rick intended seems to fit the Celtos range well.

Don't be hard (boiled) in yourself. You did an amazing job! Did you reach your target? Maybe not, but you managed to paint an entire warband of 25 models in a month. That is something to be proud of and happy with!

They look wonderful too! They remind me of my first Wood Elf army, way before plastic boxed sets were a thing, though I never managed to reach 25 models painted haha.

:D Tis all good. If I had my book earlier then I would have made the goal as I built one extra unit of archers that don't make the 500pt line up so could have done the Lord instead. Still I am glad I did it and am almost done. After the Lord I have a plan to convert up a small unit of cavalry to give me a bit of choice.

After building these guys part of me thinks this size of warband is too big :D My planned Celtos warbands come in at just under 20 minis each  8)

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
Really enjoyed this thread, thanks. It's such a good idea to challenge yourself and have sensible targets in painting armies.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 09:54:23 PM »
Thanks Godwin  8) Setting myself a clear challenge and goals has really helped as for the past couple of years I have really suffered with trying to get any project finished. I've not finished yet but I'm almost there...almost there...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
My Elven Lord & his bodyguard are built...

The banner top is from the GB Gothic cavalry sprue and the horn is from the GB Dark Age armoured warrior sprue. The lord is a straight build from the Oathmark elf sprue though I did give him a 32mm base and put part of the integral plastic base away so I could build it up so he's standing on a rock...which is the primary job of any commander in a fantasy game.  ;)

I will start painting these guys tomorrow...almost at 500pts...almost...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2019, 07:42:12 PM »
Every warband needs a leader...some to tell everyone what to do...someone to inspire...someone...to...stand...on...a...rock!

I wanted a fairly low-key Lord but kinda spiced him up a bit with his trumpeter and his standard bearer with unusual (for elves) windsock standard.

So...you know what this means...I have 500pts built FINALLY!!!

I still have one final bonus unit that I'm building (well hopefully I will start them tonight) then that's about it for this force for now. Stay tuned for that final unit though...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:07:20 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »
Impressive looking force :)

It looks like a good core for adding whatever fits into your vision of elves: cavalry, eagles, dragons, chariots and so on :)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2019, 09:10:06 AM »
That was my cunning plan  ;D

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
Congrats on completing your warband. Now to see it in action and find out what your "cunning plan" brings forth.