Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Announcing the 2019 Build Something Competition, Theme and Rules  (Read 15626 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Build Something Competition 2019, a.k.a. 'The Potato Cup'. *)

The theme for the BSC2019 is:

VEGETATION

GENERAL RULES

A child board has been set up in the Workbench section and all build threads must be started in this. A dedicated Gallery has been set up just for hosting contest images so please post your photos here:

Gallery for BS2019

You can then add them to your build thread - any questions regarding this just let me know.

The official start date is 01:00 GMT Thursday 3rd January and all applicants must notify their intent to take part on the registration thread by January 20th, 2019. They will then be listed in the registration post. The list of entrants will be in alphabetical order (no favoritism). Please let me know if your username is wrong.

YOU CAN START YOUR BUILD THREAD IN THIS SUB-FORUM DIRECTLY.

Please name your thread according to this pattern:

BSC2019 <member name> <build title>  - for example, 'BSC2019 Hammers Disco floor', where Hammers would be the user's forum name and 'Disco floor' would be the object being built.

If you change your mind,  if Real Life intrudes or if you realize after some contemplation the theme is not to your taste - just let me know and I shall remove your name.

One entry per member (no joint contributions).

Finished entries must be submitted no later than midnight Sun 10th March and the voting will start shortly after. That should allow for plenty of time to build something.

The build threads of the entrants should include as many progress shots as possible, including sketches, sources of inspiration etc. NO PHOTOS OF THE FINISHED ENTRY SHOULD BE POSTED ON THE THREAD - painting in progress is not allowed, only primed entries are permissible on the build threads - if you are unsure then please ask. I would however turn a blind eye to small details which have to be finished before assembly (for example a pilot and controls in an enclosed cockpit).

Final entries must consist of either one photo OR a photo-montage of the finished piece. No photo manipulation will be allowed apart from cropping, white balance and contrast within reason. Again, if you are unsure then please ask. You may include one separate figure in the final entry photo to indicate the relative size of the entry.

Photo size should be 800x800 pixels and sent as a jpeg to 'bsc2019@tsome.com'

Depending on the number of entries, voting will take place in one or more group, and then, again depending of the number of entries, the top one or two entries of each group will advance to a final vote.

A NOTE ON BIAS AND CONDUCT

I (Hammers) will, most likely be entering a build myself. I've done so in the past and I can pretty much prove the rules were not bent in my favour. I did not win, see! . :D

While everyone is allowed, as per usual, to comment in progress threads, please keep things  encouraging and constructive.

Although winners will be voted by the population of the LAF, if there is any sense of foul play the judges’ decision is final, although we would hope that it won't be necessary given the friendly nature of the LAF.

THEME RULES

The entry must include something that ties in with the theme of 'Vegetation'.

Vegetation should be interpreted as including all sorts of organic plant growth, be it trees, hedges, grass and flowers. Different sorts of fungi and corrals will be accepted as well, but please keep things like the Crystal Forests of planet Splork for another competition.

The challenge of this competition is to see the participants excel in representing organic plant detail in game table size. You may enhance your constructions with non-vegetation items. Things like tree huts or bird's nests are allowed and encouraged, but keep in mind that the vegetation itself is the challenge. Sentient vegetation, like triffids, Flora colossi, ents and dryads are allowed as long as aspects of their plantlike nature are dominant traits.

Although we have in the past seen some quite remarkable entries you should not think of this as a diorama contest! The entries  should be practical gaming board props or gaming pieces. So rid yourselves of thoughts of fancy walnut veneer bases or artful backdrops.

Remember that the competition is run within the confines of the Workbench board: you have to build something. What singles out the Build Something Contest is the construction of something new. The vast majority of the piece should be scratch built, and only 0-25% can be commercially bought items or figures. The rest must be handmade. If you have any questions either ask them here, to the above buildsomething email or via pm, but please label your email/ pm Build Something 2018.

The entries should be based for placement on a game board. You may enter up to three individual bases. There is no limit to base size, nor the shape of the base.

There is no minimum or maximum limit of figures on the entry as long as they are an integral part of the entry.

Any period or setting is allowed as long as it fits with the theme including sci-fi, historical, pulp, fantasy etc.

Just like last year, any amount of 3D printing is allowed but we  ask you to be especially diligent in including images from design steps (3D design files) and of part printouts in the your progress thread.

Conversion of commercially-bought items is allowed also e.g. as long as it is a major 'refactoring'. Another example could be a plastic aeroplane kit: adding a couple of extra parts to the kit would not be sufficient to qualify, but having some of the parts from a sprue on an entirely new build would be fine. Again, if in doubt, please ask.

It's not possible to cover all the eventualities, so please use your common sense and play fair.  :D

Good luck, and happy building to all - and don't forget to REGISTER YOUR INTENT and START A THREAD.

Post any rules queries and comments as replies.

*) The name 'The Potato Cup' comes from an early run of the competition where a number of items where offered to the winner, among them a raw unpeeled potato. The winner picked the potato. Well, we thought it was funny at the time...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:38:57 AM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
Re: Announcing the 2019 Build Something Competition, Theme and Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »
I have been asked to make a clarification:

Flock, static grass, foam, colored sawdust and the like are considered basic raw material in this competition and does not count towards the 'commercial product' quota of 25%. Commercially available bare tree armature products would however as well as plastic plants, aquarium or other.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:53:29 PM by Hammers »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
lol - I spent an hour YouTubing "DIY foliage" and the like and came to the conclusion: "this is going to look crap!".

Thanks Hammers.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:56:51 PM »
 :` you don't happen to have shares in a static grass farm by any chance?

Either way I'm in.(until I'm out).

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »
Hmmm... I did vegetation last year, for my Space Hulk no less. I don't have anything vegetative in the queue but I can probably come up with something...
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:04:48 AM »
I have two three quick questions:
1) where is the registration thread? Is it this, or am I missing the obvious?
2) if most of the surface is flocked, my build will appear almost finished in the construction phase - should I stick to showing the de-flocked version in the build thread?
3) did you really build a disco floor, Hammers?  :D

If this is the reg thread, then I intend to participate with my entry Spongeabobia Quadripantsia, which will be a sponge, succulent or cactus when (if) it's done.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:30:29 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »
I have two three quick questions:
1) where is the registration thread? Is it this, or am I missing the obvious?
2) if most of the surface is flocked, my build will appear almost finished in the construction phase - should I stick to showing the de-flocked version in the build thread?
3) did you really build a disco floor, Hammers?  :D

If this is the reg thread, then I intend to participate with my entry Spongeabobia Quadripantsia, which will be a sponge, succulent or cactus when (if) it's done.

1) I will maintain a list on this thread based on threads started in the BSC2019 board. If you want to pull out you'll have to notify me via PM  and I'll move or delete your thread as you request. I will obviously also strike your name from the thread.
2) The photo of the finished entry should be save for the voting. If the finishing does not involve painting, stop the progress thread at the point where the final dressing of the entry with whatever. I am afraid I cannot be more specific than that.
3) I am thinking about it. I could use it for a zombie game with a cast from Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video. ;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »
1 & 2 - got it.
3) cool, I would like to see that  8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
1 & 2 - got it.
3) cool, I would like to see that  8)

I am of course shittin' you, I have no such plans.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
I am of course shittin' you, I have no such plans.
No way. Now you mentioned it, it has to exist.  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »
This is a reminder to all member that the BSC 2019 is since the Jan 20th not accepting any new entries.

The locked list reads

BSC2019 Hammers Godswood

BSC2019 Marianas Gamer's Pandanus Patch

BSC2019 Beefcake's Secrets of the Dark Underground

BSC2019 Dr. Mathias's Rogue Trader 40K Brainleaf

BSC2019 von Lucky Deep Sleep

BSC2019 Vanvlak Spongeabobia Quadripantsia  New

BSC2019 Braz The Sea of Corruption

BSC2019 Damas' Old statue With Vines *adjusted for sanity*

BSC2019 voltans tree

BSC2019 Snitchythedog Hydroponic Grow

BSC2019 AndyM's Undead Tree(face added 17/1/19)

BSC2019 TaltosVT's AWI Fields

BSC2019 Elk101's Chaos Tree

BSC2019 Gamer mac Endor ground cover

BSC2019 Blackwolf’s Dark Wood on the Moor

BSC2019 ichwillauch Oberon: Star Wars Jungle Planet

BSC2019 Rich H 'Vegetating'

BSC2019 OSHIROmodels Ewok village - Ewok platform - Page 2

BSC2019 Mason's Veggie House thingy...

BSC2019 Sinewgrab Welcome to the Jungle

BSC2019 LordOdos Beanstalk

BSC2019 Tin sheds After Pringles Collide

BSC2019 McMordains Sylvaneth Wyldwood

BSC2019 tonykapolka Phantom Fungus

BSC2019 Blasphemia Blackwood's Walking Tree Monster

BSC2019 Silent Invader - Medieval 3 field crop rotation system

BSC2019 Munindk's Fungus Forest

...which is 26 (a quite satisfying number) of solid Workbench habituées. I am glad we have a decent variety of entries, although Star Wars themed entries seem to be the flavor of this year.

If anyone tries to create a new thread on the board I am afraid I will have to delete. It is obviously permissible, if not encouraged, to pull out of the competition at any point.

Good luck to you all!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:31:47 PM by Hammers »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »
although Star Wars themed entries seem to be the flavor of this year.

There's only three  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 06:14:18 PM »
Did I miss an official registration thread?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »
Did I miss an official registration thread?

No, sorry, that was me fucking things up. I've added your name to the list. Starting a thread before the 20th is the registration.

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 10:31:32 PM »
No, sorry, that was me fucking things up. I've added your name to the list. Starting a thread before the 20th is the registration.

Aha, thanks for not kicking me out ;)
I was pretty sure I forgot to mail in a form  lol