Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:35:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689308
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mongolian infantry c.1920  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mongolian infantry c.1920
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 12:49:04 PM »
Cool, very cool. By the way (not to re-hijack my own thread....) it would not be unusual for cars to have specially strengthened wheels fitted for work in inhospitable terrain.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2019, 02:44:10 PM »
I did wonder about a lewis as you could imagine the magazine being sat on top.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 04:23:45 PM »
Looks like a Lewis gun with an odd frontispiece.

This "Lewis" is simply missing part №2

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
Nope my money was on a Dodge Brothers touring car. They'd been floating around in the area since 1920. In fact several American expeditions used them in Mongolia through the 20's.
I made one for a commission 16 months ago in 1/32.

Mark.

Mark

1/32 - that's the scale I game in - I am intrigued. Could you tel me more please - any photos?
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline Nogbad

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2019, 06:07:40 PM »
Did Ungern-Sternberg actually have any Mongolian infantry? I wouldn't be surprised if all his Mongolians were mounted they're one of the world's great horse-loving warrior cultures. But if he did, would he have had the  wherewithal to kit them out any differently to the mounted ones?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »
He's not wrong you know.  ;)
Just a mk1 with part of the cowel missing. I'm not sure if it's deliberately left off to reduce weight/length or just plain lost. I know I've seen lewis guns in the service of Chinese warlords with the same ' modification ' and also the stock missing/removed. Plus aircraft lewis guns complete with brass hand grip.
Mike
That's odd I was wondering if you were still active on the forum. Last night when I was trying to redeem myself for the sidetracking .
I came across your thread on a lecture on this subject (2016 I think.) Did you attend it ? As I was wondering if you'd any pictures yourself?
As for the one I made no can do . I don't own the IP.
But the fastest way for you to come up with something very similar would be to start with an Airfix Prince Henry and change the radiator .

You can PM me and pick my brain's on a more in-depth build.If your inclined to build one.

Mark.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 12:16:31 AM »
This "Lewis" is simply missing part №2

Oh, it wasn't a modification... they just took off (or lost) the barrel shroud.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
Did Ungern-Sternberg actually have any Mongolian infantry? I wouldn't be surprised if all his Mongolians were mounted they're one of the world's great horse-loving warrior cultures. But if he did, would he have had the  wherewithal to kit them out any differently to the mounted ones?

there are references to Mongolian infantry, but I don't think he would have bothered kitting them out other than in their traditional costume.  It was a short lived, resource-scarce affair after all.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »
Out of curiosity Do you know If the Austin Armoured cars give to Mongolia by the Russians .Where Russian Austin rebuilds or the British Supplied Austins? As they tended to categorise all varriants as just Austin's.

Not quite sure exactly where this picture is but the background does have a nice idea for your table.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 04:00:16 AM »
This is a frame from the Russian feature film "Vepr" ("Wild Boar").

Red Mongols received armored cars from the Red Army. But in what year and how much - I was not interested.

Armored cars and white armored trains got to the Japanese. Some of these armored trains later turned out to be from the Chinese. But on the armored vehicles of the Chinese I know nothing.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 09:47:29 AM »
 lol thank you Michael.
The site wouldn't translate.(As I've mentioned before my Russian is far far worse than your English)
Makes total sense know.( lol couldn't see how it was a boar hunt ) It was the background that caught my eye.
I actually like it even more as a table top feature . Now I can see its a burnt out building with a statue in side. Definitely says BoB to me.
Do you think it's a film worth watching for a sense of colour for the period?
Or is it a little to far away from what's Ignatieff is looking for?

Your photograph is a great example of whats so vague about equipment catalogues for the region.
There's four different mk's / variants . They all just referenced as Austin's.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »
This film is a second-rate mysticism about the transmigration of souls, secret laboratories for these purposes and similar nonsense. There is one episode with Ungern, as the memories of one of the heroes of the Civil War. I saw him for a long time and really do not remember. Now, looking at the photo, I see that the costume designer has familiarized himself with the "Kolchakia" site)))

Episode with the Baron - at the very beginning of the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8VCBCVtF7U&index=1&list=PL9086hEqAZk3fXVTQnB58u5910A1cZ_WP

Among the armored cars - two "Austin", "Fiat - Izhora" and "Armstrong-Whitworth Fiat". The usual set of different types of armored vehicles for almost all sides of the Civil War.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 01:14:05 AM »
 lol
Loosing the plot thinking faster than I type .it appears your English is better than Mine as well.
I know what they all are I've sculpted all of them. (Including the simplex  ;) ).
I ment the Austins there's two different Austins.In the photographs .Plus the Austins rebuilt and reconfigured and  re armoured in Russia.Even though they no longer look like Austin from England.
They all get referenced as Austins.So when I've only got a written reference to an Austin in a Russian source I do wonder which on is being referred to .Admittedly modern works are more specific. Accounts nearer the time are the issue especially when its me translating.

Thankfully I'll take your advice and avoid the film.
Is there anything you could recommend watching which gives a good idea of the colours preferred during the perod as the Mongolian uniforms were quite a surprise when seen in colour.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 04:26:42 AM »
The best source of information on the uniform of anti-Bolshevik formations in Eastern Russia is the Kolchakia site. Guys have been collecting this information for decades, in archives, in memoirs. And make excellent reconstruction.

Here's information on the Asian Cavalry Division Ungern:

http://www.kolchakiya.ru/uniformology/Ungern_div.htm

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 02:38:09 AM »
Thanks so much for that link. What an incredible resource.