Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rangers of Shadowdeep - questions from playthrough  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Valvorik

• Student
Rangers of Shadowdeep - questions from playthrough
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:48:22 PM »
Played first scenario and had fun.

Ranger is Spade, no tracker or spellcaster, a solid fighter with strong perception and skills.  Aided by his warhound Baer, two soldiers assigned to him - Otto the Knight and Cable the Archer, an Arcanist named Abelard who thinks something is going on and is tagging along, and Nix the Rogue, a parolee assigned to him.

Questions embedded in report

Turn One - Zombie destroyed, Abelard finds clue (what sorts of wounds etc.), more zombies appear
Turn Two - Two zombies and a spider destroyed BUT a spider engages Nix who foolishly provokes combat and (natural 20) is slain.  (Event) Cable the Archer (coincidentally closest) is overcome by terror (no action next turn)
Turn Three - Two (wounded) zombies slain and a spider and zombie that move to attack the terrified Cable are both slain in his frenzied response (Question One - not activated doesn’t mean he can’t defend in combat, right)?
Spade takes 3 damage (he rolled with punch to reduce)
Terror again strikes but Cable masters (Question Two - all red cards mean an effect can happen twice, because there are two suits of red cards so there are two aces etc, right)?

Turn Four - All creatures in sight slain, Spade and Cable start moving to another building with clue.
Baer crashes through a hut door and Abelard finds treasure within. A building collapses (luckily no one in or near)
Turn Five - Abelard finds a survivor hiding at edge of village but Spade finds a zombie in a house.  A zombie appears outside the house (beside one of the two remaining clues).
Turn Six - Spade attacks zombie but takes 1 damage and Cable takes 5 but when the zombie counters kills it.
Two giant rats appear
Turn Seven - Spade is badly injured by the zombie (down to 7) but Cable kills it and they leave the building.
Otto finds some herbs. Disease – if Nix survives the spider may have infected him!
Turn Eight - Fall back, unable to reach that last clue.

Question Three - at end didn't get last clue as two creatures were next to it.  I can't see a reference, I know in Frostgrave you can't pick up a treasure if a monster is engaged, can you get a clue if engaged?

Post Game
Nix makes a full recovery and avoids disease, but gains no Progression Point
Abelard, Cable, Otto and Baer all gain a Progression Point.
Killed 2 giant rats, 9 zombies for (11x2) 22 XP, Found 5 clues for 30 XP, Found and rescued one survivor for 15XP , Determined nature of bite marks 6 XP
Total XP 53
The treasure was a Potion of Wraithwalk and the Herbs were Nightnock (evidently someone in village was worried about disease).

Fun with the uncertainty of events and clues and the 'swingy-ness' of the d20, the capped # of terms kept pace up and avoided things lagging.

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
Re: Rangers of Shadowdeep - questions from playthrough
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »
(Question One - not activated doesn’t mean he can’t defend in combat, right)?

yes, whenever a hero ( ranger or companion) is in a fight you roll your two dice, if he wins the fight apply damage as normal

(Question Two - all red cards mean an effect can happen twice, because there are two suits of red cards so there are two aces etc, right)

No, you only use one set of cards...Red Ace simply means whichever suit you choose to use...events only happen once..unless otherwise specified.
there is usually at least one more event than turns to draw events so you wont get them all in any case..adding a whole other suit of cards would
getting somethings even harder.
Check out my adventures in lead and plastic http://plasticlegions.blogspot.com

Offline Valvorik

• Student
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:54:20 AM »
thanks

I forgot to bold Question 3

Question Three - at end didn't get last clue as two creatures were next to it.  I can't see a reference, I know in Frostgrave you can't pick up a treasure if a monster is engaged (with it), can you get a clue if engaged?

It makes sense to me that you can't investigate a clue an evil creature is engaged with.

The 3rd scenario with the gnolls was a massacre for my group.  I didn't put out nearly enough scenery (the post to blog post below using walls instead is much better representation) so botched set up.

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:47:24 AM »
Question Three - at end didn't get last clue as two creatures were next to it.  I can't see a reference, I know in Frostgrave you can't pick up a treasure if a monster is engaged (with it), can you get a clue if engaged?

I dont believe so, this hasnt come in my games but in the scenario special rules  its very clear that "Whenever a hero moves into contact with a clue marker, end its action immediately and roll on the Clue Marker Table below"   I would take as a "NO" if you are combat , I can see where if you won a combat and broke and moved into clue marker with your 1" withdrawal..

The 3rd scenario with the gnolls was a massacre for my group.  I didn't put out nearly enough scenery (the post to blog post below using walls instead is much better representation) so botched set up.

Yes, I can see that being a huge problem, I kept our stealth going and took out 3 of the 4 archers before the alarm was raised ..I still almost lost most of the team but came back with almost everyone badly wounded and won it only losing two..  my report is a couple posts below this one...