Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Department: Noir Investigative Skirmish  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Ludanto

• Bookworm
The Department: Noir Investigative Skirmish
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:25:52 AM »
I've been wanting to try "The Department" for quite a while now, and I'm glad I did. Noir Investigative Skirmish! Check it out!

https://redplayerone.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-department-of-fabricant-management.html

Offline Hoser

• Assistant
Re: The Department: Noir Investigative Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 04:29:47 AM »
Nice replay! It inspired me enough to buy the rules.

Offline Ludanto

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 05:34:15 AM »
Cool!  They actually play better than I expected.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:44:57 AM »
Is this related to another game? "Gangs of Hefei"... or something else... Rezolution maybe? I feel like I read about the Department before.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
Ghosts of Hefei is a gang war type game set in the same universe as The Department:
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/ghosts-of-hefei.html

It was kickstarted a few years back but not to resounding success, and I don't think there's been any development since. Never actually got to try either of these games (tho I have some (ca. 28mm) minis from GoH KS somewhere) but I don't think they are related to Rezolution.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
Ghosts of Hefei is a gang war type game set in the same universe as The Department:
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/ghosts-of-hefei.html

It was kickstarted a few years back but not to resounding success, and I don't think there's been any development since. Never actually got to try either of these games (tho I have some (ca. 28mm) minis from GoH KS somewhere) but I don't think they are related to Rezolution.

Aberrant Games' Rezolution is unconnected to Ghosts and the Department, but it does have some thematic similarities.  Cyberpunk setting with something of a Blade Runner feel, android/robot/drone units in some forces, generally kind of dark tone.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:24:30 AM »
Great looking terrain and table.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 04:49:15 AM »
Thanks gents, sounds interesting. I have the Hefei game... also, I have not played it yet.

Cyber/Dystopian Future has been on the backburner for a long time. I need to get back into it :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
@Ludanto: awesome to see this game in action. Love the game report. Hope you'll do more soon!

Rezolution is more similar to games like Warmachine in scope while Gangs of Hefei is more like Necromunda. Resolution uses several squads and solos while Gangs of Hefei uses a small group of individuals. So quite different in the way they play.
We played Rezolution in the past and it had potential, but not everything worked out well. For instance, it uses alternate activation with a roll-off for initiative (like VOID also did). This could lead to turns where the winner of the roll-off would basically win the game. The mechanics themselves work well and the fluff is cool too. It's more than Cyberpunk, also a lot of Biopunk and psionic powers involved too.
Gangs of Hefei is more Cyberpunk and the book is quite nice. Never played it though. I do wonder if it actually is fun, while reading it didn't grab me and sometimes gave me the idea that it was more suited to one-off games.
The Department is still high on my list to play! I have the city, I have cops...but I need looooooooots of civilians! Maybe this year...?
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”