Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686583
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BoB Chinese armour/vehicles  (Read 3589 times)

Offline dualer

• Bookworm
BoB Chinese armour/vehicles
« on: January 06, 2019, 04:06:17 PM »
I am putting together a Chinese army using Copplestone Castings excellent range and planning to use Chain of Command rules.  I'd like to field the odd vehicle and was wondering what I could use, a good source of reference, a book recommendation,. Any advice would be most welcome. Anything up to and including the Sino-Japanese war, as one potential opponent has Japanese.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: BoB Chinese armour/vehicles
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
So far I've gone with FT17s (although I beleive the canon version would be more accurate) - these are definitely verified:

and a Schneider based on anectdotal evidence:

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
A good source for the later period is Kangzan... need to climb and get the my copy but (edit no need to climb...) off my mind (and slanted toward the end of the era):

France:

FT17 had been sold/supplied to China so they are in.

Renault  ZB; some with 37mm gun, other with MG, basically an hybrid between the renault AMR and the R-35, only built for china. Partly ordered by provincial government, partly by the central government. Used in Burma.

British origin:

Carden Loyd MK VI MG carriers

Vickers Amphibious

Vickers 6ton were possibly bought by some warlords and certainly bought by the GMD government. There pictures of them in action Shanghai and some were captured by the Japanese. They were the single turret version with the 3pdr.

Carriers: supplied to Chinese formations in India, used by them during the offensive into Burma.

Italy:
around 100  Italian CV33 were bought. Some sources says even CV35, not so sure myself. Basic MG armed version. Used until 1942

Soviet Origin:

T-26: more than 100 possibly 200 supplied after the start of the second Sino-Japanese war. Used in combat until the end. Some dpleoyed to Burma in 1942, Chinese sources are positive that they got used in combat, then moved back to Yunnan. For long movement they used tank transporters. There is a lot of debates between western and Chinese sources on their combat use.

BA-3, BA-6 maybe BA-10: mentioned in some sources, there are floating pictures on the net, but as Ness and Shih say no confirmed written order.

BT-5 mentioned, but is very speculative.

Germany:

PzI- and Sdkfz 221/222 (plus guns, and even Henschel tractors for the 150mm howitzers). The PzI had plenty of issues, but the 222 were in use until the end of the war.

US origin

Mainly M3A3, M4A4 (taken from British stocks in India) and Scout Car White M2. Converted US commercial trucks with armoured body. The latter used both by Warlords and the GMD. Of particular interest are GMC chassis fitted with Vickers Crossley armoured bodies (making them externally similar).

Hope this is of help!

Best,
Arrigo

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
Brilliant Keith  ;)
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline dualer

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:37:28 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, much appreciated. The interwar period I find endlessly fascinating.

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:45 PM »
don't forget the notorious Sutton Skunk!  http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/China/Sutton_Skunk.php

Company Bhttp://www.companyb.biz/  makes one in 1/56, also available from Brigade Games http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Sutton-Skunk-Holt-Armored-Tractor-156th_p_1863.html

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:49:06 PM by Will Bailie »

Offline tom q vaxy

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
A good source for the later period is Kangzan... need to climb and get the my copy ..

is this a manufacturer or reference book? thanks

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:18 AM »
Personally I'd go a slightly different root.
Look at technicals as they are the easiest thing scratch build. Plus they're often short lived and specific to small actions, replacement vehicles often changed the physical look but not the firepower or fuction.
In short as long as its a period vehicle you can added a weapon system and no one can tell you your wrong.
Alternatively go with armoured cars . I'd go with an Austin or Rolls. Painted green (that way you can re use them for multiple periods and fronts)
  .Both are all over the region until the 1930's.and Probably longer than recorded.
Take a look at the Monoglian infantry thread its got a couple of technicals from the 20's
There's also a warlord who imported an armoured luxury Cadillac with a Browning machine gun in the passenger seat.
Here's a couple pictures of a couple of mine.
(Added a pic from the Mongolian thread as well.)
Mark.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 02:40:19 AM »
So, at the end of the day, unless you wish to perfectly represent a very, very specific warlord's forces, even the more rigid purists could really use whatever they like, so long as it fit the time period and wasn't cutting-edge technology unlikely to be exported.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 05:00:40 AM »
Wow!  Remarkable painting!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
is this a manufacturer or reference book? thanks

Book, by Leland Ness and Binh Shi, published by Helion.

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 05:24:20 AM »
Thanks for all the inspiration shown.