Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:38:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Order of the Ossuary  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
The Order of the Ossuary
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:06 PM »
I've managed to paint the Black Crab Miniatures Kickstarter stuff. They caught my eye immediately and I was eager to spill some paint on them. The minis are absolutely amazing and perfectly casted, so a real pleasure. The art in the KS used deep reds and black; in order to try a different pattern, I went for cold colours:

I envisioned them as some kind of dark monks or the like, so I gave that sense of uniformity to their habits. Thinking of my RT/WH40K setting, I came up with some silly ideas and I'm declaring them as part of the Order of the Ossuary.

The Order has the venerable mission of collecting bones and relics of fallen Imperial heroes, in order to keep and venerate them. The monks themselves are former servicemen who were severely injured but didn't earn martyrdom. Declared no longer fit for active duty, most of them bearing horrendous scars or burns, some of them seek for a life of contemplation and service to the Emperor in other ways.

They are a common view on battlefields once the fight is over, assisting medical services in retrieving bodies with Ministorum priests and clerks who help to record the deeds of Imperial warriors all over the galaxy. They determine who behaved heroically, became martyrs of the Imperial cause and deserve the honour of being preserved.

Once the bodies are properly dealt with, the bones or other suitable items can be used as relics. They go under proper Ministorum consecration rites and then are incorporated to Ecclesiarchy banner poles, shrines all over the Imperium, taken to battle by Imperial Preachers or Adepta Sororitas or whatever other use is considered appropiate. The ossuaries of the Order ar quite well known, and even turn themselves into peregrination sites for the common people who just want to pay their respects for the most humble Guardsmen.

As some of you pointed out during the kickstarter campaign, these minis fit in both in the Dark Millenium...

...or the Old World:

They are fantastic. I understand there are plans for expanding the range, so I'm definitely in whenever that happens.
But oh, man, now I need to build an ossuary for them... ;D

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The Order of the Ossuary
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 12:01:40 AM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 12:35:31 AM »
Most impressive, sir!
 :-* :-*

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:34:07 AM »
Very cool. I like your color scheme and storyline a lot. I'm impressed! The relic aspect of 40K is pretty interesting to me and the Ministorum is my favorite faction.

I thought about backing but the proportions looked a bit off to me- like the legs were too short or the arms too long or something. How does that seem in person?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:36:05 AM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
Those look great - a perfect fit for 40k.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Those are great. The arms look a bit long but it's in line with their creepy, 40K freakish character. Plus your brushwork doth cover a multitude of sins.

And the Ministorum is a faction? A play-able one?

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 11:23:48 PM »
Thank you all! Being just three minis and painting them all the same was the key to do this so quickly.

...the proportions looked a bit off to me- like the legs were too short or the arms too long or something. How does that seem in person?

Well, of course you can see that, particularly the long arms. But That creepy vibe was quite the kind of thing that made me get the minis. They look totally unsettling, and that makes them interesting. You wonder what kind of deformities do those masks hide, why there is almost no exposed skin, that stuff.  :P

Ministorum is a faction? A play-able one?

I'm not really into current 40K, but I think that Witch Hunters is still a playable faction. But I'm more into ad hoc scenarios with whatever I have at hand, and I use Rogue Trader or 2nd Ed, so I cannot be your reference for this :-X

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 03:20:25 AM »
And the Ministorum is a faction? A play-able one?

Sisters of Battle are Ministorum. Some players would run an army (called the "Freakshow" by SoB players ;) )which was composed of Priests, Penitent Engines, Death Cult, and Crusaders. Not sure if that list is common anymore, haven't played 40K in ages.

Back to topic I really dig these creepy guys- I'll have to track down a set.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:25:54 PM by Dr Mathias »

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
Well, of course you can see that, particularly the long arms. But That creepy vibe was quite the kind of thing that made me get the minis. They look totally unsettling, and that makes them interesting. You wonder what kind of deformities do those masks hide, why there is almost no exposed skin, that stuff.  :P

That's what I liked about them as well, the long limbs make them look a bit alien, and since their faces are covered who knows what's beneath it, also the long limbs remind me of the old Rogue Trader navigator

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »
Hey, these look fantastic! (If you don’t realise I’m “Meridian Miniatures”) These are the first set that I’ve seen painted, I love what you e done with them and the story you’ve come up with.  8) 8) 8)

As for the long limbs, that’s just the foibles of being an imperfect sculptor I’m afraid! I agree they do look very uncanny for it though. Will improve the proportions on the next set.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »
Great painting work, sir. The miniatures are very nice, really dark and creepy.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »
I really like those nicely done. Are they available to buy anywhere or where they a kickstarter only thing?

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »
I really like those nicely done. Are they available to buy anywhere or where they a kickstarter only thing?

DM me and I can sort some out for you.  8)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:43 PM »
Thank you very much!

(If you don’t realise I’m “Meridian Miniatures”)

Hi! I gave you full credit on the blogpost :D; sorry, I missed to do so over here and tie both names, my bad. I'm quite honoured that you like them, even in such un-Blanchitsu colours! ;D

Are they available to buy anywhere or where they a kickstarter only thing?

I'll let Andrew answer that, but I've spotted a Terramortis range upcoming on Meridian Miniatures web, so I can only hope these will be available there... alongside more stuff! :P (Well, one can have hopes...)

PS: ooops, he answered while I was typing! :D

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 02:00:59 AM »
As for the long limbs, that’s just the foibles of being an imperfect sculptor I’m afraid! I agree they do look very uncanny for it though. Will improve the proportions on the next set.

I have many of your Meridian miniatures and some other stuff too, you're great. I figured the limbs were a style thing for these specific guys- certainly not a lack of talent or being an 'imperfect sculptor' :)
Looking forward to getting a batch of these now :)