Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 535
Total: 542

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion question about the placement of the "International Gun"  (Read 1202 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
In my reading about the legation siege during the Boxer Rebellion I have not been able to learn where the "International Gun" was located within the British legation.  If you know, please let me know what was the specific location of the famed "International Gun" ...which wall (north, south, east or west) or gate? 
If it was positioned along a wall, what type of platform did it have to fire over the wall or was if firing through a gap in a wall?
I will appreciate any help you can provide.
Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Boxer Rebellion question about the placement of the "International Gun"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:19:46 AM »
https://www.hpcbristol.net/visual/bl-n033

Best answer I think you're going to get.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »
FifteensAway, thanks.  I've seen the picture before by without the location description.  Are you going to place it in front of the main gate behind a barricade or are you going to place it inside the British legation compound facing the main gate?  Richard
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:54:03 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
https://www.hpcbristol.net/visual/na05-04

This photo clearly shows the gun behind a wall.

Though well to remember I will be running a game 'based' on history and a magazine article but then adapted to a much larger game size in numbers and area so my 'research' points in a different direction than a diorama.

Of course, the first image I linked to in this thread shows what is clearly the British gate in the background so the gun was used outside the gate - or at least photographed there.

As with all things Boxer Rebellion, in my experience, accurate information is hard to come by.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:53:03 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Keith T

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »
I think it was moved around and was not in one fixed position, as the crew appear to be a mix of American and British they may have shared it?
Keith T

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 03:35:22 AM »
Keith, I going to accept the idea that the position of the International Gun is not absolute because in painting the Blue Moon legation compound (it's big) I have discovered that the wall defenses from that compound (as cast by Blue Moon) offer two good option for the gun's placement.  I have now painted the five Blue Moon legation compounds (French, Japanese, Russian, US, and British) and have found in the process of painting each of those I have made discoveries about those structures that I didn't see when I simple looked at them in a more casual review. 
Thanks for taking the time to write and for your thoughts on this question.
Richard

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »
I think it was moved around and was not in one fixed position, as the crew appear to be a mix of American and British they may have shared it?
I totally agree. The Boxers were coming in waves and they probably had no particular entry. Betsie would move to confront respective attacks

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
militates, fortunately when painting the Blue Moon British legation walls I discovered two positions on the wall that seem to have been made for cannon or machine gun placement.  I should have seen them immediately, but there is such a huge amount of detail on the interior walls of each of the Blue Moon legation walls associated with the firing steps that during the quick look I did to inventory them when they arrived I missed some obvious features.  I'm hoping to get/receive a Nordenfelt, one more pack of German Sea Battalian, and a breached legation wall (that I may or may not use) this weekend or early next week.  There were things that Blue Moon didn't include in this range (bridges, Tartar wall sections for example), but those were not hard to find other options for.  All in all, it is a pretty thorough line of figures and terrain.  I feel the same was about their FIW range... among my many 15mm collections painted over the last 40 years, that is probably my personal favorite.