Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:22:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689532
  • Total Topics: 118284
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What would Glen Cooks "the black company" look like on the table?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline shakespear

• Assistant
    • Chance of Gaming Podcast
What type of units?

What about modeling them? How would they look?

I thinking about doing a KoW army on them
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:23:12 AM by shakespear »
http://chanceofgaming.com/
Chance of Gaming Podcast

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: What would Glen Cooks "the black company" look like of the table?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 12:22:07 AM »
Brilliant idea. Arguably, the Kingdoms of Men list in KoW has a unit - "The Captain" - which is heavily rumoured to be based off the titular Captain from the first Black Company trilogy.

I took some inspiration from the Company for my own Black Order (the name was accidental, I swear!) but I've yet to see anyone do a proper full-on Company list. That said, I would imagine the Company would work FAR better as an allied contingent in another list - perhaps a Kingdoms of Men list with Varangur allies (with the Company as Varangur Bloodsworn to show their heavy-infantry roots Croaker describes?)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: What would Glen Cooks "the black company" look like on the table?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »
There are lists for five Black Company armies in the Hordes of the Things rulebook. The Black Company itself just features as a blades element in the Plain of Fear army led by the White Rose (a cleric general in the list). There's also a list for the Army of the Lady (magicians and flyers with conventional troop types otherwise), the Army of the Limper (magician general with a behemoth and a dragon option), the Shadowmasters' Armies (magicians, hordes and riders) and the Taglian Army (hero general, magicians, blades, shooters and riders). They have various options ranging from behemoths (elephants) to a forvalaka (sneaker).

I've only read the first book in the series, so can't really comment on their accuracy, but they're nicely varied army lists in their own right.

Offline shakespear

• Assistant
    • Chance of Gaming Podcast
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:28:29 PM »
There are lists for five Black Company armies in the Hordes of the Things rulebook. The Black Company itself just features as a blades element in the Plain of Fear army led by the White Rose (a cleric general in the list). There's also a list for the Army of the Lady (magicians and flyers with conventional troop types otherwise), the Army of the Limper (magician general with a behemoth and a dragon option), the Shadowmasters' Armies (magicians, hordes and riders) and the Taglian Army (hero general, magicians, blades, shooters and riders). They have various options ranging from behemoths (elephants) to a forvalaka (sneaker).

I've only read the first book in the series, so can't really comment on their accuracy, but they're nicely varied army lists in their own right.

Reminds me, where can I get a copy of the HoT rulebook?

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »
I always imagined them looking very 16th century. They mention morion style helmets, etc.

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
Love this thread. No real thoughts except I vaguely remember a White Dwarf from the early aughts that had an army with flying carpets; I wonder if that article could be refound? Also I *may* have tried to re-create Croaker in D&D 5e 9 (human bard with the soldier background and the healer feat)...unfortunately the system, even with the 'healer' feat prefers high magic clerics to low-magic medics. Ahh, well.