Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: China Station -- Pulp Alley  (Read 5700 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: China Station -- Pulp Alley
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 01:44:10 AM »
BTW, I was sniffing around Bob's site and I can't find any background to the China Station setting. Did he have a blog or some such where he published his material or was it just a range of figures he produced?

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 04:21:45 AM »
Codsticker, have you ever played in one of Bob Murch's games? ...perhaps at a local convention in Vancouver, BC?  I notice you are in his area.

I played in one of his China Station games using Rugged Adventures in Olympia, Washington a few years ago. Don't remember the setting being very detailed in terms of the explanation for what we were doing. But Bob's terrain was fantastic, and his figure painting is really excellent.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »
warrenpeace is spot on about Bob's game.
I was lucky to play in a game at Enfilade in 2009.
Excellent terrain and figures.
Lots of fun had by all.
I know Bob has a Facebook page.
I don't do F-book so can't tell you what is on it.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 07:27:04 AM »
No, never had a chance to play in one of his games. I went to the Vancouver convention for the first time last year and he wasn't there. Maybe this year... :)

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 07:39:08 AM »
Given that I’ve just put in an order today for some appropriately “China Station” themed miniatures from both Pulp Figures and Copplestone, it looks I’ll definitely be picking up this series after all, regardless of my earlier comments.

Just as well my birthday is coming up next month - I can put all the purchases down to that (“Just give me money everyone, then I can get what I really want...).  :D
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 01:34:20 PM »
I've never had the pleasure of playing in one of Mr Murch's games (you lucky devils), but I've spent a good deal of time looking at photos of them. I remember quite a few seem to features the players wearing silly headgear, which is certainly a good sign.

Not to deflect this from Pulp Alley, but what did you think of the Rugged Adventure rules? I remember they used to be available on his website but not sure I ever took a look at them...

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 02:11:42 AM »
7 packs of Chinese, OLD sculpts but NEW molds(!!!), are now available again @ Pulp Figures!!!

Rugged Adventures seemed a bit vague and unfocused, per the copy I downloaded years ago. The game Bob ran was the same. A lot of us milling about with some objectives, some fighting, and some creative moves. But overall not the tight thoroughly playtested experience that is Pulp Alley. (Back then .45 Adventures was the most popular set of Pulp rules here on LAF.)

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 08:24:09 AM »
I agree to warrenpeace, Rugged Adventures has some good ideas, but all in all it does not run so smooth compared to PA. I played A LOT of skirmish rules in my hobby experience and for me PA just is it. Well balanced, versatile, fast and fun, endless options for leagues and scenarios.

nandrin

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
Yes, doesn't surprise me, really. Pulp Alley is a tough one to beat in this category!  :)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
Here at Sally 4th, we are very much looking forward to playing China Station scenarios, through out the year.

We have the first set of China Station cards available for pre order in our Pulp Alley Section: http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Pulp-Alley-Gaming-Accessories

We also have the Pulp Figures China Station range in stock http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Pulp-Figures/Pulp-Figures-China-Station

We also stock the complete range of Copplestone and Artizan Pulp miniatures including 'Back of Beyond' that has many miniatures suitable for this sort of campaign. http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Copplestone-Castings/Back-of-Beyond

Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
THANKS so much for all the encouraging comments. There's a very selfish reason why we try so hard to make sure Pulp Alley is fun to play. It is because we actually play Pulp Alley.   ;)  :D

If you subscribed to the CHINA STATION SUPER COMBO, then your Scenario Packs for episode #1 and #2 will be delivered together. Also, you can download the files for Episode #1 now, but we'll email Episode #2 directly to you in February.

HAVE FUN

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
This is Bob Murch's China Station set up. Yes, we all wore funny hats depending on the faction we played in the game. That is some of the best terrain I've ever seen in a miniatures game. There was a Chinese junk, an American gunboat, and I can't remember what else on the water. The buildings and rocks and trees were fabulous. The streets in the town were hand painted by Bob! He's not just a great sculptor and figure painter. His terrain is world class (this image from his own Pulp Figures website):

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »
FYI -- If you subscribed to the China Station Super Combo for 2019 then your January package will include Scenario Pack #01 and Scenario Pack #02 -- just because we happened to have both ready to ship at the same time.

Note, the file for Episode #02 will be sent in February.

Dave

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »
So can I just confirm something before I buy?

I buy the China Station Scenario Collection pdf from your site Dave? I then receive monthly downloads of each scenario.

I'm in the UK, so it would be best to buy the cards associated with each scenario from Chris at Sally 4th?

This all looks great, I just wanted to check before I buy.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 11:01:07 AM »
We (Sally 4th) have all the cards for Scenarios of the month so that gamers in the UK and Europe can get hold off them without incurring customs problems or Transatlantic postage.

We don't sell the PDF downloads, you get those from Dave at Pulp Alley as they are digital products so can be emailed to the furthest corners of the globe at the click of a mouse button.