Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zulus to the .........Everywhere!  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
Zulus to the .........Everywhere!
« on: January 10, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »
15mm Colonial Wargame Zulu vs British, using Principles of War Rules.

Zulu Forces- 4 Brigades, All good Commanders - use  D Ave for initiative.

British Forces - 2 poor Commanders (D4) and 2 Average Commanders (D6)
4 small Brigades but a lot of firepower.

Although the Colonial should not use movement bases against Irregular Armies (they are assumed to be out scouted), We gave it a go.

Zulu Hidden movement bases. Good Generals get 3 extra movement bases as dummies), The Colonial got 1 extra as having a Poor General

Turn 2
As the units are spotted, they are placed on the table

Zulu movement base at edge of brush (Bottom of picture)

Turn 3 British are still failing spotting roles and now getting nervous. Also Zulus should have goneto Specsavers!

Turn 4 - Zulu placed out their right horn!

And blocked the Colonial Right Coloumn with a hidden movement base.

Turn 6 - British move up to force a reaction

And they got one! Zulu left horn, charging the British while the NNC (Natal Native Contingent) looks on!

Turn 7 - Mounted infantry about to be hit by two Zulu units!

British Artillery and Rockets fire and both miss!

We resumed the game the next week

Turn 9 - The Colonial started to get their act together and pour fire into the Zulu Right Horn. The Mounted infantry at the bottom of the picture were forced to Retire Shaken from turn 8

I decided to pop out another hidden unit to give the British cause for concern and so as not to allow the Colonials to concentrate on one Brigade.

Turn 10 - Another Zulu Brigade broke cover and advanced on the Colonials. The Lancers caused a few casualties but the Zulus Morale held.

The Zulu Right Horn had taken many casualties and had lost one unit but the British had a some poor firing and the Zulu thought that it was now their time.

The Left Horn saw  success against the British Infantry and would now (Hopefully) sweep down the hill and clear the rest away

Turn 11 - Fresh Zulu units joined the fray.

The Zulu Right Horn were starting to lose units and were becoming very weak.

We left it there as the Colonials would not be able to reach their objective,the Kraal. A Zulu victory was only a few turns away

The rules cause a lot of tension due to the hidden movement. Dave had not played the rules for about 12 years and it was only my second game in as many years.But still a good set of Colonial rules when played properly, from game/ scenery set up to deployment and objectives which force opponents towards their goal and not just Laager up and blow the natives away.
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: Zulus to the .........Everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:54 AM »
A very interesting and well illustrated write up , I enjoyed reading it . Pr. Of War seem to be an excellent set of rules , I haven’t tried them , we use TMWWBKings for our Colonial games. I was interested to see the movement and Force markers which you’d made , I,m a big fan of such aids .

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Zulus to the .........Everywhere!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »
Impressive! Lots and lots of Zulus...