Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689795
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice on Gaming the Mexican Revolution?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Advice on Gaming the Mexican Revolution?
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
Hi All,

Sakura's recent thread has me thinking about a project that has tempted me for years: the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1920. The trouble is I know very little about the conflict (I'm literally at about the Wikipedia-Search level) and thus would love some thoughts or pointers as I consider whether to do this or not. Right then:

1.) Figures: Haven't seen them in hand yet, but I quite like the look of the 20mm range by Shellhole Scenics; I've always liked 20mm, finding it a nice compromise between 28's and 15's, being easier to paint than the former and more fun to paint than the latter. I'd likely supplement them with figures from Irregular, Jacklex and maybe add a few character types from B&B's Foreign Legion range (they make some nice Gestapo figs that could be used for German agents, as well as some other odds and ends). Anyhow, I think I might have the figures sorted.

2.) Numbers: Force composition is a bit of a poser at this stage. I'm looking to do large skirmishes of about 100 figures for each side, and would almost certainly start with the Revolutionaries and the Americans first - Villa and Pershing and all that. So two questions:

a.) Do you have any ideas on force composition? Using the 100 figure/side as a starting point, I'm thinking perhaps 20 or so cavalry, 2-3 machine guns, an artillery piece or two and the rest infantry for the Americans; and 50/50 cavalry/infantry with a couple machine guns for the Villistas? I have no idea if this is accurate, so please feel free to correct if needed!  :D (Oh, and I'd likely toss in some vehicles! Maybe one for each side?)

b.) In terms of numbers, would people suggest equal forces (ie. 100 vs 100), or should one side outnumber the other? From my admittedly cursory reading it seems that the Villistas got pretty badly thrashed in most encounters, so should they outnumber the Americans but be of lesser quality? Thoughts would be much appreciated here.

3.) Rules: The Sword and the Flame would probably work well, but I'd love to hear any other ideas.

4.) Reading: This should probably have come first, I admit. Any good reads on this conflict, especially focusing on the Pershing expedition? Osprey seems to have two titles, one on the Revolution itself and the other on the American campaign against Villa, so those could be a good start. Any others?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Advice on Gaming the Mexican Revolution?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »
A conflict full of interesting things:-
Armoured cars; wagons; horses & aircraft; dynamite guns; electric fences; Indians with
bows & arrows etc. etc.
May I recommend you visit the United States Library of Congress web site.
They have a fantastic collection of photographs. When I started planning the
Pershing expedition (in 28mm/ skirmish), I wondered if I could use some of
my western gunfight Mexican bandits, or would they be too out of date?
The library's photos included an Indian skirmish line, complete with bows & arrows!
If you change your mind on scale, may I recommend Britannia Miniatures 28mm range
(available from Grubby Tanks).

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »
HasBeen, thanks very much. 28mm is definitely a possibility, and I generally love the look of Britannia figures. Wish there were some photos available. I've also heard some horror stories about the service from Grubby, though, and I'm not sure I want to deal with that.

Did you find a set of rules you liked?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:56:58 PM by Arundel »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:17 PM »
Take a look at free wargame rules.
I know that it does have a couple of rule sets for the Mexican
Revolution.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »
I know Andy (Grubby Tanks) and he is a very nice man. There have been problems
recently (see this forum under 'Redoubt') I believe that buying the Redoubt company
was a much bigger task than he expected. The problems seem to revolve around orders
for Redoubt, not Britannia. If you do go for 28mm look also at the nice 'Pulp' range.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »
Brigade Games  also has some very nice 28s. Federales,  bandit/Villistas and dismounted US cavalry. Oh and a very nice Ford motor car’ :)

Gringo’s 40 also has a 28mm Range. Sorry I can’t offer anyhelp with 20s.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing