Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (AP 2019) For the Caliphate!  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
(AP 2019) For the Caliphate!
« on: January 12, 2019, 03:06:47 PM »
This is my placeholder.

I have a whack of Spectre MENA, and Insurgents that need painting and some Artizan WW1 Arabs for my Back of Beyond Bohkaran fanatical militia.

Spectre:
22 guys with rifles (AKs, M16s etc)
3 guys with RPGs
4 guys with LMGs
Sniper
3 leader type guys
1 guy with a shotgun
1 HMG and crewman

I'd like to add a technical (or two), 2 more heavy weapons and some more boots on the ground.

Artizan:
Arab Irregular Command x1
Arab Irregulars I,II,III x1 ea
Arab Irregulars with Lewis Guns x1
Arab Irregular Cavalry I,II x1 ea
Desert Guides x1

I'd like to add some Sherifan infantry as well.

Brigade Games:
Arabs with Firearms x1

So I have 35 moderns, 1 HMG, 30 WW1 figures and 6 horses, if I add nothing else.

I painted over 100 figures last year so definitely doable. My only problem currents is the next 2 months I'm painting my stairs.  :? o_o :'(
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: (AP 2019) For the Caliphate!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
Small update.

I've divided the Spectre figures into three distinct groupings.

Visible faces, balaclavas, and keffiyahs. I like to batch paint so it's easier to stick to colour palettes this way. AND the visible faced ones could be used as local militia and the balaclavas as well armed criminal elements in other games.

I started with the balaclava clad group. So far their skin, weapons and webbing is done. Just have to decide on pants/shirts and camouflage patterns. I need to remember to use some different skin tones as well to represent foreign fighters from the West or Africa.

And yesterday I impulse bought  o_o 10 Skirmish Sangin insurgents when I was at my not-so-local gaming store. I haven't had the chance to really compare them but they should be ok on the tabletop. Their weapons did seem larger.

My thoughts on painting Spectre Miniatures so far. I'm used to painting Copplestone, Reaper Bones, GW and Frostgrave. I'm not used to painting skinnier no        thinner no less robust non-heroic, maybe figures but the paint does go on pretty easy.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
How is the sculpt and cast quality for the Spectre Miniatures? Just curious as I've been considering getting some for a while, but I've haven't seen or heard too much about them. Looking forward to seeing some completed miniatures.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:48:03 PM »
Sculpt quality is good.  IMHO the sculptor isn't my favourite, and some details are super fine but they take paint well.

Casting quality is good. Minimal flash.

My only complaint would be that as the weapons are very fine, more care needs to be taken in packaging. Maybe some more foam in the blisters.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the information!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:27:09 AM »
Pictures!

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »
Excuse the lighting! But proof that the first 10 are painted. I'm going to switch things up and do the Artizan Designs stuff