Forum > Age of Myths, Gods and Empires

roman auxiliary sheilds

(1/2) > >>

skip:
Hi, i have bought victrix auxiliary romans and wanted to make them into skirmishers with javelins, was wondering what sheilds to use, the oval sheilds supplied or round sheilds like the republican Romans

thanks

Brian

Arrigo:
There were no skirmishers per se in the period like the velites, apart from tribal troops, certainly we do not have record of regular cohorts. Thus they would have been simply issued from the the cohort to operate in front of the battle line. Thus use the oval shields.

skip:

--- Quote from: Arrigo on January 12, 2019, 09:24:22 PM ---There were no skirmishers per se in the period like the velites, apart from tribal troops, certainly we do not have record of regular cohorts. Thus they would have been simply issued from the the cohort to operate in front of the battle line. Thus use the oval shields.

--- End quote ---
ok thanks Arrigo, makes sense

Brian

Johnp4000:
Hi Brian,

I think you will find it is a feature of most rules that Auxiliary s can skirmish, for some reason current figure ranges only have the armoured variety rather than some helmeted unarmoured types to use as skirmishers. I doubt in reality that the Roman auxiliaries would be as uniform as displayed in most current ranges . I suppose a quick conversion would be to use Auxilia heads with some tribal troop types?

skip:

--- Quote from: Johnp4000 on January 13, 2019, 03:04:48 PM ---Hi Brian,

I think you will find it is a feature of most rules that Auxiliary s can skirmish, for some reason current figure ranges only have the armoured variety rather than some helmeted unarmoured types to use as skirmishers. I doubt in reality that the Roman auxiliaries would be as uniform as displayed in most current ranges . I suppose a quick conversion would be to use Auxilia heads with some tribal troop types?

--- End quote ---
yes thats a possibility, the victrix Auxilia are only created as heavy spearmen but i was using javelin arms from the republican boxes with these troops plus wolf hides that they provide

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version