Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TYW Cavalry Unit  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: TYW Cavalry Unit
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
Hi, not sure re Germany but, if it helps, the latest estimate by academics is that circa 50% of the population in England (note not Wales or Scotland) was literate by the 1630’s (thus explaining the huge political influence of the political pamphlets - mid C17th “fake news” - in the build up to the ECW). My understanding is that parts of HRE were at least as literate as England, if not more so (although my TYW knowledge is still, sadly, too limited to be useful in this regard).

As the TYW progressed the religious make up of the armies becomes, at best, “confused” and one would have found many Lutherans fighting for the Emperor or the League and Catholics in Protestant Armies (eg the Parliamentarian General Sydnam Poyntz fought in both the armies of Saxony and Wallenstein, and the Protestant General Ernst Von Mansfeld was a Catholic so all things are possible!).

In short, as I see it, you are at liberty to do as you want with your amazing figures....... in my opinion.

I am loving following your project! Thank you, so much, for sharing!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:37:59 AM by Sparrow »
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »
Sparrow: very interesting. Thanks very much for this. I like the idea of a political pamphlet (I went to the same school as John Lilburne).

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »
If you went to the same school as “Freeborn John” then it really has to be a pamphlet in homage!

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »
I think you're right. Interestingly, the school song (mercifully, no longer sung), which listed famous old-boys, made no mention of him, presumably because he stood for things which the school didn't approve of.   

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
That is a bloody marvellous looking unit