Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heia Safari: Some cool finds!  (Read 3403 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Heia Safari: Some cool finds!
« on: January 14, 2019, 05:27:04 AM »

Just the one photo for now but a bit more write up on my blog: https://tablesofadventure.blogspot.com
Once on the blog, click on the link to the right, African Gallery.

For those who recall, there will be much inspiration from Richard's - War in 15MM - African Gallery, I've even borrowed his word, 'gallery', as a name for my sidebar page about Africa.  Though I've been working on this collection long before he posted his gallery.  He and I were feeding off of each other for ideas, though.  I'm going to try and place this collection at the front of the line this year.  We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:57:13 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
Re: Heia Safari
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:53:14 AM »
Great collection!

I look forward to seeing your progress.
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:56:36 PM »
I'm going to enjoy watching this develop.  I've been away from Africa too long.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 01:38:49 AM »
Well, Richard, if you've been away too long, revisit.  I'm sure we'll all enjoy seeing a brand new Africa gallery with whatever additions you decide to squeeze in.  And not to worry, I'm not abandoning the Boxer rebellion project.  It will move forward as well. 

I do plan to use your idea for caged and captive animals from your Africa gallery.  Loved it.  Wish I could find figures like in your wonderful dining scene.  Hard to find in 15 mm but I'm going to pull out my leisurely ACW figures from Stone Mountain and see if I can't adapt some of those figures - means another order, though.  There may be a few surprises along the way in my own Africa gallery. 

Heia Safari Away!

I'm not too fond of the Heia Safari song itself but I do like certain elements of the score for The Ghost and the Darkness so I'll probably play that in the background when working on this project.  And there's always Hatari and the old version of King Solomon's Mines for animal scenes, especially the latter.  Hmm, which to watch tonight?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:43:11 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:55 AM »
FifteensAway, my involvement in a grand African adventure is past though I may return to the subject in small vignettes.  So I'll be looking to your project for a new big-screen vision.  You mentioned a couple of films.  Let me suggest a movie that I love and influenced my project... Naked Prey.

As to figures that could serve in a 15mm dining scene, I suggest that you have a look at the Prieser Victorians.  They offer some nice seated figures that would look good on a veranda. 

I wish I could take credit for the caged and captive animals, but if memory serves I took that idea from work that was posted by LAF's own Hammers... a truly creative mind.

If you have as much fun designing and working on your Africa as I had doing mine, you are in for a wonderful ride, and I'll be watching.

Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
Still need to photograph them - been too rainy! - but I've completed an additional 24 giraffe so that I now have 36 of them, adults from Irregular and younger ones from both Toob animals and a very old zoo gift shop purchase in the previous century.  They are based with textured bases, in a better color variation than before,  and seal coated.  Alas, the mixed paint colors aren't a precise match so I may need to put them on the table in two separate herds.  Or not.  Depends on how nit picky the observers might be.  However, there are different species with variation in their markings so I can always use that as justification. 

Elephants (39 painted, 21 to paint), rhinos (24), and hippos (24) are all in line to get on the painting table - already primed at the least with some already including a wash.

Just received on Saturday a building from Peter Pig's Vietnam range to use as part of one of my European stations, there will be four stations and four different African villages.  Waiting on some more Blue Moon buildings as well.  That order also includes more figures to round out my collection but not quite complete it. 

I've been scouring about for the right figures to give variation to Tarzan, Jane, and Boy - the first two I've found, Boy has been more of a challenge but I'll figure it out.  Or change it up.  Being flexible helps.  And now I've decided - courtesy of input here on LAF - to add in La, too.  Need to wait a bit, not too long, to place those last few orders.

Edit: Now with a photo here and some more on the blog.

re-edit: NOW there is a photo here.  (Well, maybe there is a photo here.  I think I posted the normal way but now it seems to require a click to see the photo.  Yes or no for you?  Maybe has to do with recent changes to Google's blogs?)

If you can't see the photo here, try the link in my OP here in this thread.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:15:51 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Heia Safari: photo of Harbinger Herd
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 02:19:30 AM »
They look great!

I've used FZ138 African child by Irregular Miniatures as Boy for my Tarzan Project.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Heia Safari: photo of Harbinger Herd
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 05:12:00 AM »

Ooopsies.  Figured out what I did wrong, posted the link as a hyperlink instead of as an image.  Do-oh!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Heia Safari: photo of Harbinger Herd - 36 giraffe now visible here!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »
Excellent!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Heia Safari: Chief Mbonga figure?
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »
I'm on a new quest to find an appropriate (or generally 'close enough' figure) to use for a Chief Mbonga inspired figure for my Slightly Cracked Colonials.  Irregular makes a nice figure (with variations) for the basic tribesmen, FZ 141.  But can anyone point to a better figure for Mbonga?

And, no, I won't be doing my Africans in "white face" even though there is historical precedence.  One, i just don't like the idea and, two, don't think I can pull it off adequately.

So - Mbonga like figure?  Will need to be 18 mm to match with Irregular's figures.  Doesn't have to be an exact match because my 'character' will be an opponent to Tarzan but not specific to Mbonga.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 06:11:31 AM »
Excellent collection sir.  Heko!

I have an amount of Ice age and very few African animals (a couple of elephants, hippos, ostriches and crocs..  :( )
I am in admiration of your work.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
FifteensAway,

I have used the Tribal Chief Warrior from Crom's Anvil for my version of Mbonga, which is loosely based on the recent movie.
https://cromsanvil.co.uk/characters.html

He's a bit of a work in progress at the moment, but when I get back to working on him, I will try to remember to take a photograph.

I'm on a new quest to find an appropriate (or generally 'close enough' figure) to use for a Chief Mbonga inspired figure for my Slightly Cracked Colonials.  Irregular makes a nice figure (with variations) for the basic tribesmen, FZ 141.  But can anyone point to a better figure for Mbonga?

And, no, I won't be doing my Africans in "white face" even though there is historical precedence.  One, i just don't like the idea and, two, don't think I can pull it off adequately.

So - Mbonga like figure?  Will need to be 18 mm to match with Irregular's figures.  Doesn't have to be an exact match because my 'character' will be an opponent to Tarzan but not specific to Mbonga.

Thanks for any help.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 01:07:42 AM »
Placed a substantial order with Crom's Anvil - I'll get myself a nice little seaport as well as some village decorations - and a few tidbits besides.  While I did order some of Crom's figures, I've decided to extract my Mbanga-like figure from Old Glory's Darkest Africa range, Tribe #4; also ordered tribe #6 to be the line troops.  The "excess" from #4 along with some of the Crom figures will be the dread slavers that may show up in some games - to be instantly suppressed by the forces of civilization.  Well, hopefully! 

With a little - or even a lot - of luck, I placed my last batch of miniature related orders today which means, after they've all arrived and been sorted where they belong in the "Mountain Range" awaiting painting, I can focus on that painting - and gaming.  No more worries about what to buy or how much to buy.  Sorry, all you sellers out there, but there must be an end.  And, no, generally, I'm not much distracted by 'shiny bits'. 

My thanks to those who have contributed along the way - to my Heia Safari collection and all the others.

Wait, didn't I make this same claim to completion a month or so ago?  Well, I really mean it this time!  :-I >:D

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Heia Safari: Some cool finds!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »
Crom's Anvil order arrived and better than expected but that's for another time.  Today, it's about this:

That was just one of several items added to the collection.  To see the rest, check out the blog here:

https://tablesofadventure.blogspot.com

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:01:17 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
Re: Heia Safari: Some cool finds!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 11:40:23 PM »
Many thanks for the kind words on your blog.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Praise Be To Apis!