Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Still Water Effects For Miniature Basing?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
Still Water Effects For Miniature Basing?
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »
I've been considering doing some "swamp bases" for my miniatures but it's hard to work out what is and isn't a good still water effect.

I've seen really bad reviews about Woodland Scenics and Games Workshop and good reviews about 2-part epoxy resins, but there's not much about Vallejo Still Water. Someone else said that just painting flat and doing a gloss varnish gives a really good effect.

Does anyone have any experience in these and do you have any recommendations in what to pick? Does Vallejo Still Water dry and pull away from the edges like Woodland Scenics and GW?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Still Water Effects For Miniature Basing?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
I've used the Vallejo still water, and I'm not terribly impressed.
It goes on nicely, but then it pretty much all evaporates and leaves a shiny surface, which quickly turns non-shiny.
Frankly I think gloss varnish would work better.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
Yacht varnish is my go to. Several layers to get a feeling of depth will help.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:08:52 PM »
I've used the Vallejo still water, and I'm not terribly impressed.
It goes on nicely, but then it pretty much all evaporates and leaves a shiny surface, which quickly turns non-shiny.
Frankly I think gloss varnish would work better.

Seconded. Used it in varying conditions and invariably it contracts to nothing, cracks, and clouds up. Gloss varnish for basing and actual pouring resin for scenery pieces.

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
Thanks, guys. I thought that'd be the case. Any advice on resins?

EDIT: Has anyone used this? http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=432 Does anyone have any experience in it?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:48:59 PM by MeridarchGekkota »

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 06:59:24 PM »

I use the cheaper of the resins discovered watching this vid: https://youtu.be/Wm9CV-NUaAM

Doesn't smell all that much actually, tints well, and straightforward to work with but it is really for if you intend to do a lot.

There is another Luke APS vid where he uses this binary epoxy stuff from poundland, that might be what you need?

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 07:13:34 PM »
I use clear nail polish Thant I pinch from my wife. For small areas like a base it works great.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 10:05:56 PM »
My go to is Envirotex lite.  Here is a link on the use.
http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#water
It is not overly expensive, settles level with very little meniscus, will cure crystal clear, rock hard and will take inks and arcrylics without ill effect.  I have poured up to 1/2 inch deep in one go and it worked fine in plaster but I would pour thinner on plastics due to the heat resin can generate.  In the US you can find it at the home depot and Ace Hardware so you will not have to internet it if you live there.  It has a fairly good shelf life too.  Note you can get smaller containers than shown in the example.

I have not used the secret weapon stuff so I cannot comment. 

Hope that helps.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 10:13:34 PM »
You can have my bottle of Vallejo still water effects for the postage.  First product from Vallejo to disappoint me!  What's the vernacular?  "Major fail!"

I use paint color variation with a gloss varnish/medium, Klear/Pledge/Future, or Gloss Mod Podge now for a wet effect now.  If you want real depth, use the resins instead.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 10:20:20 PM »
Liquitex String Gel - dries clear but can be tinted with inks.

I put too much ink in these and they ended up darker than I wanted...

Advantages:

- wont run off edge of base while drying
- levels pretty well, but you can make ripples as it cures
- no meniscus against banks/edges
- brush on to get into small nooks and cannies
- water based - easy clean up
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:22:07 PM by pacarat »

Offline industrialtrousers

• Student
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 07:03:31 AM »
I've used cheap epoxy from a syringe from Poundland and its come good. Tints well but make sure you leave it to dry somewhere disagree as its stick until it sets. Also second the nail polish idea as this can be very easy to come by and works well.

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
You can have my bottle of Vallejo still water effects for the postage.  First product from Vallejo to disappoint me!  What's the vernacular?  "Major fail!"

I use paint color variation with a gloss varnish/medium, Klear/Pledge/Future, or Gloss Mod Podge now for a wet effect now.  If you want real depth, use the resins instead.

I'll take you up on that.  :D

PM'd.

I've used cheap epoxy from a syringe from Poundland and its come good. Tints well but make sure you leave it to dry somewhere disagree as its stick until it sets. Also second the nail polish idea as this can be very easy to come by and works well.

I might just buy a cheap epoxy off the internet. My main thing is that I'll need a lot for one or two particular models and very little for the vast majority of the rest.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »
I have said it before but I think Vallejo Still Water and Woodland Scenics Realistic Water are absolutely terrible as water products. They shrink so much that the result is extremely ugly, unless you use superthin layers. And then it's just easier to use resin.
My favorite medium for water on bases is 2 epoxy glue. Easy to tint, dries fast (and rock hard) and looks good.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 04:24:40 PM »
I have said it before but I think Vallejo Still Water and Woodland Scenics Realistic Water are absolutely terrible as water products. They shrink so much that the result is extremely ugly, unless you use superthin layers. And then it's just easier to use resin.
My favorite medium for water on bases is 2 epoxy glue. Easy to tint, dries fast (and rock hard) and looks good.

Do you have any examples of 2-epoxy glue?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 05:28:04 PM »
I’ve used Vallejo Water effects and had generally good results. I think a difference to most of the other posters is that I’ve been using it for 10mm figures, so I am probably using much less at a time.