Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685047
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 740
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nappie Noobie- Blucher- Along the Danube  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Nappie Noobie- Blucher- Along the Danube
« on: January 14, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
I have been wanting to play a game of Blucher for about two years. I know almost nothing about the Napoleonic Wars and have never really wargamed them before. In truth, it was a bit intimidating with all the foreign unit names, various army structures, and do not even get me started on the uniforms. However, the idea of the “Big Battles” (along with the big hats) was appealing to me.

When I first saw and heard about Blucher, it seemed like a good fit for a newbie to Nappies like me. Most of the square, line, column, stuff was abstracted due to the game scale. Uniforms and army structure were as well. In addition, it was designed to be playable with cards so I did not need to start a big new collection of models. Two years later, I finally got up the scratch to pick it up and the 100 Days supplement.

I gave the basic rules a quick read through and found them easy enough to understand. From there, I went to the Honour Website and downloaded Along the Danube the introductory game. This gives you a basic table lay out, some army cards, and a scenario to get you started. Since my usual wargaming buddy and myself knew almost nothing about the period and the warfare of the time this seemed like a pretty good place to start. Plus, the rules themselves encouraged starting here before moving on. Who was I to argue?

Normally at this point, I lay out the scenario and the forces, but you can find all of that on Sm Mustafa's website at Along the Danube so I am going to skip it this time. Plus, I don't want to embarrass myself too badly by completely screwing up the terminology.

As the attacker, I was the French with 3 infantry corps and a reserve cavalry corp. By opponent was the Austrian defenders with 2 Infantry Corps and a mixed reserve corp including Guards, artillery, and cavalry units.

As the French, I had to get hold of two objectives on the Austrian side, or cause them to break by routing 8 units. The Austrians had to stop me and could defeat me by routing 8 units as well.

You can read the final results and my impressions of the rules here: https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2019/01/battle-report-blucher-along-danube.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Nappie Noobie- Blucher- Along the Danube
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing your game and thoughts on Blücher!

My own dive into the period happened very similarly. Had one game of the very same scenario as you have so far and that's that thus far. I have painted an army though! :D

Really enjoyed the rules since, as you pointed out, you don't have to faff about with formations and so on. Proper large scale battle game.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:24:57 PM »
A very close game!

A minor point on nomenclature: The Austrians were the only major combatant of the wars who didn't have guard units in the field. The Reserve corps was their version of of it, with the grenadier companies from the line regiments supported by the cuirassier (armored) heavy cavalry and lots of artillery. But technically they weren't guards, though they were the elite of the Austrian army.

French, British, Prussians and Russians all had guards.

Please post more about your next game(s).
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »
Another point to consider with regard to the basics of terminology is that 'corps' is singular as well as plural.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »
Nice write up.  One thing stood out was the range of artillery - 8 times base width.  If you take a unit to be a Brigade with say room to deploy two battalions in line then that puts the artillery range at something close to 5000 yards!  Did I read that right?  Seems crazy.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »
My math says 3200 yards, still some fine and fancy shooting. Still, if the game works and feels Napoleonic, go for it.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:05:09 PM »
Two battalions is about 240 yards, 8 times that is 1920 yards - a perfectly reasonable artillery range.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:15:39 AM »
Looks like my math is somewhat off.  Problem with using Austrian Battalions as your yardstick.  3000 yards still looks very long for artillery to fire effectively. 

For 240 yards for two battalions in line that would give you only 400 men in your battalion.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 12:30:57 PM »
All power to your elbow, but have you some shots of the miniatures in play. Your blog suggests you haven't used any - LAF?.