Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question : peninsula war contra guerrilla uniforms?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Question : peninsula war contra guerrilla uniforms?
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »
I want to add some Spanish contra guerrilla to my French force for sharps practice but can't find out much information regarding uniforms etc. Does anyone know if the contra guerrilla wore uniforms, and if so what did they look like?
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Question : peninsula war contra guerrilla uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »
I think all sorts of troops were used for anti-guerilla operations by the French. Infantry, dismounted dragoons, whatever was to hand. I don't think there was some sort of anti-guerilla division, so there is no specific uniform.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
Just as Steve says , French Line Dragoons were widely used to counter the Guerilla bands . It was said, after the war , that the Dragoons were the only branch of the French Army to leave the Peninsula War with their reputation enhanced .

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
The only dedicated contra-guerilla units in the French army that I'm aware of fought in Mexico during Maximilian's reign, 1862+.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:05:50 PM »
Were the gendarmes not usd for anti-guerrilla duty?

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
Do you mean the "pro Joseph" Spanish who fought along side the French (or captured guerrillas who given the choice of execution or fighting with the French chose the latter)?

They may not have had much of a uniform but some from the Catalonia region (I hope these links will work)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a9/ac/50/a9ac50b2f9327ebc0c472b7e3368a044.jpg

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/326370304221932081/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/437341813795428059/

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:06:58 PM »
I assume you are looking for information on Spanish counter-guerrilla units, then.

If that is the case, which theater of war do you want re-create? There were different types -at least, theoretically, because in practice many of them only existed on paper- depending on the region.

In theory, the first line of defence and police against partisans -brigands, in French and Spanish Bonapartist parlance- were the Guardias Civicas (Civic Guards). They were modelled on the pattern of the French Gardes Nationales. According the bill to form the Guardias Cívicas uniforms were supposed to have blue or brown coats, white or lead grey trousers, white cuffs and collars and white buttons. However, most probably never got to be uniformed, as later was ordered that officers should wear a red sash to distinguish the parties of "civicos" from common "brigands". They became infamous for their lack of organization and for turning back on the French units they were supposed to support and fighting together with the guerrillas. I read a letter from a partisan officer that informed general Mahy that he got most of the muskets, powder and balls for his band from "civicos" deserters.

Madrid Civic Guard was slightly better organized and at least 100 men got uniforms (blue coat with white chest, white collar and cuffs, red turnbacks, blue trousers and black bicorne with red cockade; buttons in white)

Andalousian Civic Guards, created in 1810, were more regularly uniformed and organized, at least at first. Their uniforms were navy blue or medium brown coats, red collar and cuffs, white trousers, buttons in white and black half-boots ("botín"). Mounted "civicos" had light blue dolman with white braids and light blue trousers. They were more efficient than in any other part of Spain, but in the end most of them depended on the support of imperial troops to fight the partisans.

There were literally dozens of security forces, some relatively well organized and uniformed, most of them just ephimeral small bands that ceased to exist almost as fast as they were raised. For instance, the Gendarmería Real de Madrid never had more than 42 men and officers and rarely left the city; the one in Sevilla was slightly stronger, with 102 men, and more efficient too. They were mounted units. Uniform (both had the same, possibly) was navy coat, with red turnbacks, cuffs and collar, black bicorne with red-yellow-red cockade, white (silver for officers) tassels fixed on the left shoulder strap, white belts, straw yellow (almost buff, I would say) trousers and high black cavalry boots. They were equiped with heavy cavalry sabers, two pistols and one carbine; horses blankets were navy edged in white and with JN cypher -also in white- in the corner.

If you read Spanish I would recommend you the book from Luis Sorando Muzas El ejército español de José Napoleón (1808-1813) Madrid; Desperta Ferro Ediciones, 2018.

https://www.amazon.es/ej%C3%A9rcito-espa%C3%B1ol-Napole%C3%B3n-Historia-Espa%C3%B1a/dp/8494649914/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547672753&sr=8-1&keywords=Luis+Sorando+Muzas

It has a lot of information.

Anyway, if you are looking for something more specific, ask and I'll try to find the information for you.

Best!

PS: I wrote my PhD on partisan war in Napoleonic Spain, so I might be somewhat pedantic!  lol

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:09:22 PM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
Try to find jose maria bueno illustrations on google.
Some posted here are from him.
The best source on spanish uniform plates with lots of books edited.