Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (AP 2019) Completing/Progressing on Various Projects  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
(AP 2019) Completing/Progressing on Various Projects
« on: January 15, 2019, 06:43:20 PM »
I'm such a lazy git I need so.e sort of focus to be productive. Having been a long time lurker/reader of this forum, when I saw the post on a casual challenge for the year I finally registered and joined in.

For 2019 my goals are to paint 3 units a month for a variety of scales and systems.  Along with minis I plan to build at least on terrain piece per month, mostly in 28mm for Bolt Action.  In 2018 I set a 2 units, one terrain piece goal, and nearly completed it. It really helped to have an idea of what to do when sitting in front of my lead mountain.

For a bit of background, I've been playing board games most of my life, including attempts at Victory in the Pacific by age 10. I discovered tabletop gaming around 1996 with WFB. Preinternet, I had no idea what was out there. Now i can spend 5 minutes here and see 5 things in "need" plus 2 genres that look really cool. Squirrel!

And that is my dilemma. I have minis in 2 scales and in at least 10 genres/theatres. While I probably have 1,000+ painted minis (need to count) I know I have 1,700+ unpainted. And growing. 2018 saw a bit more added than painted. Better than 2017 that was mostly new, and very little painted.

Which brings me back to goals. 3 units a month. A unit might be four 28mm Dark Age minis for a Hearth Guard unit for Saga. Or even four 15mm minis for a stand in Triumph. As long as a complete unit is painted, I'm counting it. My immediate plans are two Saga units and one WFB unit per month. Once the two Saga armies are done, it might be three WFB units, as I have 5 armies in progress and a couple dozen units to do to complete them. I have plenty of options though, and it will probably be a mix of h istoricals, fantasy and even pulp figs each month.

January's goal: A unit of Dryads, and two units of Hearth Guard, one Viking, one Anglo-Saxon. I have 9 terrain pieces in progress, and plan to finish at least on a month as well.

Having set this goal even before I saw the 2019 challenge thread, the Dryads are done, as is the stable from Charlie Foxtrot Models.

Ill post pics once the months challenge is complete. Thanks for looking, and for this great forum of incredible modelers and painters.  I came here from TMP and love the casual, welcoming vibe here.

BG out

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: (AP 2019) Completing/Progressing on Various Projects
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 02:08:38 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it all get done.
Good luck!
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:37:23 AM »
BG I like your goal. Will follow your progress.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 10:25:28 AM »
Same - trying is better than not trying. I also believe the ability to switch between scales/genres will make you more productive overall.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:10:30 AM »
it is good to have goals that motivate.   Good luck.  :)
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:35:02 AM »
After a quick search on posting images (you suck photobucket) I am going to try the Imagur route. Here are the completed models for January.

Wood Elf Dryads -unit of 12

SAGA Vikings and Anglo-Saxon -2 4 man Hearth Guard units

Essex Ancient Germans for Triumph! -2 Warrior units

Charlie Foxtrot Models Stable and Red Lion Inn converted to L'Oie Grise, a French pub

A Warlord 28mm US armored car. It is one hull but is magnetized to swap between M8 and M20.

January was fairly productive for me,

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:26:31 AM »
January was very productive. I tend to wind up with about that for the year lately.  Had hopes for my vacation this month but painted nothing. Keep up the good work!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
Bang on! Nice output.

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »
Thanks von Lucky!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
 Well done. What's the plan for February?

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
I quite like the inn :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 06:35:21 PM »
Vodkafan- I have 8 Viking and 8 Anglo-Saxon warriors for SAGA primed and ready. I have 10 Wood Elf war dancers that will definitely be done. Beyond that, i have some dark Age civilians and some FIW armed civilians cleaned and ready. Ill be painting another CFM building for the terrain piece, and probably starting a Stonehenge-ish terrain piece as well. I am hoping to keep the momentum going.  :D

Thanks Marianas. I like it too.  lol  All the Charlie Foxtrot buildings are great.

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 01:55:10 AM »
First 2 units from February's goals: Anglo-Saxon and Viking warriors for Saga.

More to come.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:37 PM »
Nice output so far! I had been intending on doing something similar myself, but unfortunately my painting time is a bit reduced at the moment.

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
@ cahrn That is a bummer. Hope you find more time to paint soon! Thanks for the kind comment.

The last of my planned units for February. 10 Wood Elf War Dancers

I have 6 FIW armed civilians from Galloping Major to paint this month, hopefully, and a CFM mdf store to finish. Its built and has shingle applied, i just need to finish painting it.

For March, my three units are x15 Wood Elf Eternal Guard with command models (i am also painting the Wood Elves for the Heresy-Online Army painting comp), and the war lords and bannermen for my Saga Vikings and Anglo-Saxons. When the war lords are done i will have two 4 point armies and i can finally play Saga!