Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:50:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685090
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's 'Painting ACW Rebs' article.  (Read 1649 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Nick's 'Painting ACW Rebs' article.
« on: January 16, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
Elsewhere on this forum there's a 16 page thread about my new obsession with the ACW: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111577.0

It's all about me painting a Confederate army. What I didn't really go into was how I painted them. I chose a technique that gave me results I was happy with, but I could actually finish an army before the enthusiasm faded away and I was left with one unit of 17 figures. (like that ever happened  lol).

So this PDF is about how I painted the Rebs, choosing to do Cobb's Legion, hope it's of interest to you.
http://nstarmagazine.com/PDFS/Painting%20Cobb%E2%80%99s%20Legion.pdf

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's 'Painting ACW Rebs' article.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
Very useful. Cheers Nick  :)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »
Appreciate the article very informative and being that Rebels are next on the painting block this is exactly what I needed. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:32:55 AM »
Thanks for the PDF, Nick. I've saved a copy. Might try to improve my technique the next time I put the brush to some 28mm Confederates.

In case you didn't know...the idea of a "Legion" in the black powder era, being a small brigade-sized force combining infantry, cavalry and artillery, was presented to the Enlightenment by Maurice de Saxe in his Reveries on the Art of War. The concept was implemented in the real world by several freikorps commanders in the Seven Years War, and found to be useful in the kleine krieg. In North America, both sides in the AWI raised Legion-style units, again for irregular service. Anthony Wayne's 1794-6 Legion of the United States, the army that won Little Turtle's War, was such a unit on the scale of a strong brigade.

It is possible that the concept of the Legion as an independent all-arms force appealed to certain authoritarian personalities in the Confederacy. It's true that the Hampton and Cobb Legions that joined the Army of Northern Virginia were broken up into their component parts. However, the Legion concept was not entirely dysfunctional in the ACW. Thomas' North Carolina Legion is one such unit that served effectively in irregular warfare in the ACW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas%27_Legion
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 03:00:35 AM »
Brilliant! Very nicely done - great,informative PDF.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Very nice looking paint job.

FYI, while we have the romantic notion of the "Ragged Rebs"(which we do in 15mm(plug)) the butternut uniform was not particluarly common.  Unlike the Union, the Confederate government was not as strong or powerful.  Remember, the main politcal  issue was States Rights, slavery was a sub-set.  So the States retained the authority to supply their own units, and right up until the latter part of 1864, regulation uniforms(in Gray) were provided to the majority of the army.  It wasn't until the Confederacy was so sundered that re-supply became a much bigger issue.
Dave
Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
www.WargamingMiniatures.com

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 12:11:05 AM »
I agree.

It seems though the Maryland Campaign 1862 was a particular low point in terms of Confederate uniform supply. I would not have painted the Rebs as 'raggedy' if I'd chosen Gettysburg as the point in time my figures represented for example.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:17:29 AM »
Thanks for posting this Nic, very helpful!