Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Numidian Armies- What Do We Know?  (Read 2651 times)

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Numidian Armies- What Do We Know?
« on: January 17, 2019, 02:45:36 AM »
So, I have been doing some work on Carthage and the area surrounding their empire. 

It is clear from what we know of the Punic Wars that the Numidians were a military might of their own, but it is not clear to me what a Numidian Army would look like.  Is there any sources I can turn to that are around the either pre-Punic Wars, during the Punic Wars, but pre- Jugarthine Wars to look for reference? 

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline williamb

• Librarian
Re: Numidian Armies- What Do We Know?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 08:30:40 PM »
"Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars" by Duncan Head.   Numidian army lists for rules like "Field of Glory", DBM, or DBMM.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:41:50 PM by williamb »

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:47:18 AM »
"Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars" by Duncan Head.   Numidian army lists for rules like "Field of Glory", DBM, or DBMM.

Not that I can be any real help here either, but I'd hardly call either of those reliable sources. Head is outdated, and WRG lists are often quite arbitrary. I would treat both with a pinch of salt.

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 05:29:43 PM »
Here are some ancient sources, possibly not all. May be of help
http://www.attalus.org/names/n/numidia.html

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »
Head's book does date back a ways.   As I understand it the new reprint doesn't add much to the original.   However, I haven't seen anything published since then that has additional information.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:43:38 PM »
Not that I can be any real help here either, but I'd hardly call either of those reliable sources. Head is outdated, and WRG lists are often quite arbitrary. I would treat both with a pinch of salt.

That's a bit unkind; they are still the best researched set of lists and background available in a single accessible source. 'Arbitrary' is necessary because you can't actually have a wargames list that says: Troop Type X, yeah, we have no idea..'  so in some cases, inferences have to be drawn from later evidence or in parallel development. Most of the DBMM v2 lists would be latest thinking (although I still disagree with Phil's personal conclusions on the Sasanian Persian list), and there were a number of noted contributors to WRG, such as Duncan Head, Nigel Tallis, Karl Heinz Ranitsch, and many others.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Duncan Head

• Student
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »
Head is outdated...

My wife is inclined to agree.

But seriously, on some subjects there has indeed been a lot of new work since AMPW, some of which I acknowledged in the preface to the 2016 edition; but I'm not aware of much new on the Numidians, except for a recent article in Ancient Warfare XII-3, by ... errr ... Duncan Head.

Outdated by myself, yes, I can live with that.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 07:31:28 AM »
touché!  lol

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:44:54 AM »

But seriously, on some subjects there has indeed been a lot of new work since AMPW, some of which I acknowledged in the preface to the 2016 edition; but I'm not aware of much new on the Numidians, except for a recent article in Ancient Warfare XII-3, by ... errr ... Duncan Head.

Hahaha.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »
best bit of gentleman-ship ever heard on a internet forum!  It made a my day, usually internet ruins it!
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »

Everyone go home.
Duncan Head has won the internet for today.

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 03:32:41 PM »

Thanks, I will look into it. 

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 08:48:45 PM »
Thanks, I will look into it.

Yep I was (like Duncan) disappointed that AMPW wasn't updated for the 2016 edition, but frankly, the amount of work required given contributors other commitments would have meant that it would have been the 2025 edition..  if then.

In most respects the DBMM lists are more up to date, with many having had quite substantial revision for the latest version. With Duncan's input!