Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vickers Lights  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Vickers Lights
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:10:24 AM »

The latest model off my 3d printer is this Vickers Light Tank Mk.VI AA, mounting 4 7.92mm BESA machine-guns on a high-angle anti-aircraft mounting. Its necessity was made plain by events in France in 1940, and it made its first appearance in action in the Western desert in 1941.

It needs some more markings, but exactly what I'm not yet sure. I've seen photographs of Mk.VI tanks with large cartouches on their turret rear, containing the vehicle name. However, I don't think the AA versions carried those sorts of markings, and I'll probably just end up giving it some very generic tactical signs.

The model is based on one by m_bergman or TigerAce1945 on Thingiverse. I've fiddled with it a bit, adding the gunner and replacing the guns so that they'll print reliably, and I added track pins as well to break up the smoothness of the edges of the tracks.

The latest addition to my growing 15mm 1940 BEF force are two troops of Vickers Mk.VIb light tanks, useless though they may be.

And thanks to the magic of printing-a-second-set-of-turrets, it's also two troops of Vickers Mk.VIc light tanks. Or one troop of each. Or any combination thereof.

F Tank (far left) has been given slightly different markings to all the rest, because I accidentally got its turret magnets' polarity reversed compared with all the others, so unlike all the others, its turrets aren't interchangeable between all the other hulls.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Vickers Lights
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:51:28 AM »
Nice - and clever use of the decal to mark out "leftie". lol
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
Nice.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »
Nice - and clever use of the decal to mark out "leftie". lol

Decal? We don' need no steenkin' decals! :)

I very seldom use decals at all; I'm pretty terrible at manipulating them, so it's usually just less trouble to paint the markings on.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:56:10 AM »
I do like a Vickers Light, my BEF and Western Desert Force have many. If your opponent has a lot of Panzer I, II and Cv33, they do OK.

In many cases I also paint the markings on.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »