Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686505
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building Vents tutorial?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Building Vents tutorial?
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to scratch build vents? I want to construct futuristic hive-ish buildings and I can't seem to locate a simple, effective way to make some small vents.

Baring a tutorial, any recommended sources for purchasing a decent amount of sci-fi vents that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Building Vents tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »
I don't know if it's of much help, but I'm still doing the following:

In the distant past, I tried my hand at model railroads. Even then I was more into the scenery and modeling part than the technical bit, so even though there was no room in the house for a permanent layout, I did occasionally buy some small buildings. mostly Alpine cottages etc. The brand was Pola I believe, and the scale was HO.

One of these was never built and the parts ended up in my pile of random bits. And this small cottage happened to have a lot of windows with exterior shutters, which turned out to be perfect as small vents, considering they were louvered.

I've used them on vehicles, mecha, buildings and more, and they are just excellent. My original stock is becoming low, so I've switched to using oyumaru to make a simple press mould from them and making greenstuff copies whenever I need more. (The original plastic was a bright green to begin with, so even unpainted, they appear original lol )

I suppose you could do the same; I'm sure there are more to be found in other scales as well.

On the other hand, I've also used Gunpla/mecha/Gundam sprues with circular turbine/fan bits in combination with some tubing to create airconditioning parts.

Then there is the use of screen/mesh as a grille, together with some plasticard to create something that looks like a vent, or making louvered bits with simple strips of plasticard, with some sort of frame/border around it.

And all of the above can then be moulded and cast in either greenstuff, resin or even plaster if you need a lot of them... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »
Depends what kind of look you’re going for? I used Green Stuff to this airplane style turbine..

...or this, for a Sci Fi bar...

......or I used a flattened piece of GS and rolled my sculpting tool(which has a cool pattern on the grip) across it. Once it dried I cut it square to fit in front of this truck....

The other thing, as Daothar says, is plastic card cut and glued in slats.

This last one was corrugated card, which once cut and bordered with thicker card looked half decent....

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
Wow, Andy; that truck is awesome! 8)

Did you ever finish it? Regardless, that's some grade A plasticardjitsu!

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
I used scrapbook window things. Cut off the wings, glue in some screen, and done. I didn't even paint them, but I wanted the steel grey look anyway.
I glued mine to a hardboard piece since I needed to be able to move them around for a sci-fi corridor system.
I used the larger ones in this photo.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:16:35 PM by DS615 »
- Scott

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 02:25:53 AM »
For SciFi small soffit vents are excellent choices. Although this one is 4" in diameter I believe you can get 2" ones.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 10:38:29 AM »
Wow, Andy; that truck is awesome! 8)

Did you ever finish it? Regardless, that's some grade A plasticardjitsu!

Its still languishing in a box somewhere. I was always planning to see if I can cast it so I could've made loads of trucks for my 2000ad project, then I found the cheap Poundland toys.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
For smaller vents I have used either cut zip ties or N scale railroad plastic fencing.  Both are easily cut and can be added into vent frames.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
Another option for louvered vents is molded styrene clapboard from Evergreen, Plastruct, etc.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll try making some and then use bluestuff to replicate them.