Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686611
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clear bases, yes or no?  (Read 18581 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Clear bases, yes or no?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
I suppose it's really just a personal choice. I find integral bases fine for this, these are integral bases. I just cut the base away with two different types of cutter and then file the underside of the feet.

What about mounted figures? Most horses have very thin legs, usually with one of more off the ground and I don't see how you will get a stable bond if you cut the base away.
Also, many historical games have the figures on multi-bases, which a certain amount of thickness for stability; I don't think thin clear bases will work too well if you have multiple 28mm figures on them.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2019, 10:20:17 AM »
Horses for courses I suppose...

I don't think transparent bases can be easily pulled off in mass battle games, more so with cavalry in the mix. Rather, it's a good alternative to integral- and slotta bases for skirmish games, especially when games involve entering buildings etc. for other types of games, I'd rather go with textures bases still.

But the posted pictures of transparent bases in action, especially Mad Lord Snapcase's, clearly (sic) show that in such situations, thin, clear bases are very nice indeed. So much so, that I've now ordered a 1 inch hole punch... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 02:36:40 PM »
Clearly (pun totally intended  lol) I should have posted some images with my link to my tutorial on the clear bases above - some questions raised in replies after my initial post are all addressed in the tutorial. There are even some tips for those that are having a bit of frosting happening around the feet of their figures and how to improve that :)

But here's a few photos -

As you can see, horses on a clear thin base is no issue whatsoever - many more mounted photos in the tutorial. Even Zorro's horse Tornado who only has two feet attached to the base!

I think the other quick thing to mention is the 1 inch base - this photo shows the difference between the 3/4 inch base, on the right, and the 1 inch base. I've gone exclusively to the 3/4 (20mm) inch base and I think it works much better visually. Not every figure will work on the smaller base though as my photo illustrates, but I guarantee you that you will be surprised at how many do  :)

Forgot to put in a photo of multiple figures on a single base - works a treat for zombie hordes  :D

As with everything in this hobby, do what is right for you - for me and skirmish games, it's all clear bases now!

Cheers!
Ivor
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:10:58 PM by ivor13 »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
I've used the somewhat thicker clear bases on one of my projects and I do like how it looks, though I was pinning them and that was hard work. The thinner ones seem a lot better. What glue works best on those?

Unrelated question, who makes that building in the last picture with Zorro and Sgt. Garcia? :)

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »
When I first started using clear bases I was using the Likto 1.5mm thick bases and like you was pinning all my figures to the bases, and it was incredibly hard work.

I had always used Gorilla super glue but once I went to the thin bases I tried Loctite's professional super glue - I had a 50% off coupon so I decided to try out the most expensive super glue the store had which was the Loctite professional. I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes and can't recommend it enough!! It's been an absolute game changer for the clear bases. I get zero "frosting" on the bases and the bond is incredibly tight - I've yet to have a figure come off of a base, even on something like the can can dancer's below

The building that Zorro and Sgt. Garcia are fighting on are from Crescent Root  :D

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2019, 05:49:47 PM »
The great debate  lol I wrote up a clear bases tutorial about a month or so ago here if anyone is interested - https://saturdaymornings13.blogspot.com/2019/02/clear-bases-tutorial-ver-20.html

Thanks to you I just ordered those card loaders, punch tools and loctite glue.  lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial.
Too much hassle to redo existing projects, but I have a couple
new projects (figures ordered) & will give it a try.

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2019, 10:07:38 PM »
Much appreciated guys! Hopefully you can get something useful out of the tutorial  :)

Please post up some photos or links to blogs, I'd love to see how you are making out with the bases!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2019, 02:19:14 PM »
Saw, frames, 20mm hole punch & a glue ordered.
A friend should have, yesterday, picked up my next project &
I hope to try out a few clear bases after Easter.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2019, 10:10:38 AM »
Here are some Star Wars Legion figures on 25mm diameter x 2mm thick acrylic bases.

Han Solo (left) has no paint on the base edges.
The three Rebel Crew with light blue sleeves have base edges painted with Matt Medium.
The two Pathfinders have Matt Varnish round the edge of the base.

The photo does not do this justice but I think Matt Medium tones down the shine quite well

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:14:54 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2019, 07:51:23 PM »
Oshiro, any update on the transparent sabot bases?

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2019, 08:50:33 PM »
Using clear bases seems like a great idea, provided that one has the time and the patience.

One question, though: as clear bases are lighter and maybe smoother than metal washers, etc., have you found at all that they may be less stable or more slippery, especially on slopes?

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 02:53:27 AM »
From my experience so far I have had no problems with figures sliding or having difficulty staying in place.

Even something like this, where Indy is on a pretty small ledge wasn't an issue.

I will say that the only terrain that I personally haven't tried these thin bases on is the teddy bear fur mats that are popular right now. I think that this will be their biggest challenge - as even traditional types of bases don't always keep the models straight and upright.

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
Well I had a go using ivor13's tutorial the same materials and have to say the results were much better than I expected, I haven't made my mind up if I prefer it over "normal" bases but I'm heading in that direction.

One thing I noticed is that the plastic from the card holders, although perfect in thickness and stiffness has a very slight blue tint. It's not too noticeable, but would definitely be better if it wasn't there. Anyone know of alternative sources? I find the plastic from clamshell packs for figures isn't quite as stiff as the stuff the cards are made out of

Have fun
Finn

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2019, 02:33:02 AM »
Those look fantastic FinnN!
It looks like you went with the 1 inch base, I would definitely try the 3/4 inch if you can, I think you'll be even happier with the results  :D
I have yet to find anything that beats the card holders in regards to the plastic - if you do come across something please let me know!