Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clear bases, yes or no?  (Read 18583 times)

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
Re: Clear bases, yes or no?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Pcs-1x2-Rectangle-Stickers-Cabochon-Embellishments/dp/B01FDGUPGO/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1548178190&sr=1-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=epoxy+stickers&dpPl=1&dpID=41vX2UgKKoL&ref=plSrch

There are Cavalry bases available even.

I think clear bases might be good for Naval Games as well as Skirmish games. Skirmish Games that are SciFi based seem like the best use of clear basing  for games that involve figures.

I think there needs to be some experimenting done with anti-glare coatings maybe Testors Dull Coat [?] to fight the glare problem.

There is a game called Havoc? or something where there are color coded teams of operatives: Red, Blue, Green, etc.  I am thinking tinted, translucent bases, in the various colors might be a nifty solution.

I once improvised some Skirmish bases for Warhammer Fanstasy (Oldhammer at this point) by using kidney shaped pieces of plastic cut from non-glare, polypropylene, sheet protectors. I was able to slide 10-12 skirmishers around quickly just like tray riding troops.
Pendrake

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 07:44:27 PM »
I have been impressed with a number of examples of clear bases, however for me they would probably be beyond my skill level.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 08:50:16 PM »
Don't do it  :o

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 03:53:57 AM »
As a rule, not.

But then I got a ton of cheap clix for superhero games, there's no way I'm painting them (the vast majority anyway) and the bases are crap (unless you're using the original rules I suppose).  The addition of clear 1.5mm bases makes them looks miles better IMHO, plus makes the figures more usable.

So in a special instance I can be persuaded :)

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
I'm clear basing my Shadows of Brimstone models due to the multitudes of boards they go on. Epoxy doesn't mist the base (and it's taken me a while to find that out), so that's currently the mounting source of choice.

Wouldn't base 'army' models on clear bases, but unbased board game models or unbased skirmish models (I'm too much of a coward to try cutting models off bases at present) might go on these - I like to see the 'ground on which they walk if able, especially if using mats/boards for various settings

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
Here are some Star Wars Legion figures.

The bases are 25mm diameter and 2mm thick. The brass pin is 1.2mm. I drilled an exactly 1.2mm hole in the base and the leg. No glue involved. I will matt varnish the edge to reduce the shine.

I did try some with superglue and no pin. These were very delicate if dropped or banged and broke frequently. After repair, you can see the glue splodges and that looks untidy.
Also - drill by hand using a pin chuck and not a Dremmel. Slow and accurate is the way to go, especially on the figure

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:41:12 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »
For those that have used them.  Have the bases scratched at all on the bottom.  I have not made the jump as I am worried about the acrylic scratching on other surfaces and ending up cloudy.  I am not planning to make the jump for all of my tabletop minis but I have been thinking of hosting a one shot game and was thinking about it for that. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 10:33:58 PM »
I use them on my Arena of Death Dark Eldar Gladiator game, everything else gets the usual treatment- slottas or washers.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »
The great debate  lol I use them all the time & have been for a couple of years now tbh as it does away with the whole wrong base in the wrong setting & I've noticed more & more people also using them.

At the end of the day I think its up to each player to base his models how he see's fit but there's one thing I'd like to point out & its this, putting models on clear bases has nothing to do with laziness as some people seem to think.

So to answer your question, base them whatever way you like as your the one who paid for them, painted them & will be using them :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
Absolutely; there seems to be quite a bit of conservatism in our niche workd when it comes to basing.

In some cases, people put as much work into their bases as into the miniatures that go on top of them; it's become a part of the hobby, as opposed to the afterthought it was back in the day.

Remember; bases were only ever invented to keep a miniature standing up. After all, the best result would always be unbased miniatures that somehow (miraculously) remain upright, no matter where you put them.

Basing was never an issue back when miniatures still had integrated bases; they did not have an actual role in gameplay. These days, different types of miniatures are often required to be put on a certain size (and type) of base, and people seem to have taken that as unmutable fact.

So bases have become an integral part of certain game systems, and 25mm round bases are almost an industry standard nowadays.

Not to mention the 30mm 'display' bases with the lip, as introduced by Privateer press when they first published Warmachine; all the more invitation to really go to town on the scenic aspect of the base, and this is encouraged everywhere.

So naturally, people become defensive when this part of the hobby is 'denied' to them. Bases seem as integral to our miniatures as integral bases were back when!

I remember the sh*tstorm I triggered when I proposed cross-shaped bases for miniatures used for gaming inside of buildings; the same diameter as our beloved 25mm slotta base (or washer), but with more room to maneuver a mini into corners, behind doors etc.

All matter of arguments against the idea were thrown up, but to my mind, none of those had any rational basis behind them. Of course the fact that the bases were also made from clear acrylic (thank you Sally4th for volunteering to make them :) ) did not help winning people over either. It was clear though that you should not touch people's beloved bases. I suppose they're almost a cultural thing now...

But as stated in a previous post; it all comes down to personal preference, and in the end they're your miniatures and you can base them any way you like.

To me, clear bases certainly have their place, but by and large, I still tend to base the vast majority of my miniatures regardless, because apparently I'm a bit of a grognard myself after all... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »
@Daeothar,

I fully agree with you.

I actually have about 4,000 figures on conventional bases.

My huge medieval Agincourt & Burgundian Wars armies are on mud and grass because that is where they fought.
Afrika Korps and 8th Army are on sand for the same reason.

I will have about 70 on transparent bases.

5 are U-Boat Crew because grassy bases look stupid on a U-Boat and vice versa.

65 will be Star Wars Legion, so that I can use the same expensive set of figures for Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, Jedda and Scarif.

Transparent bases have a place.

Regards
Mick

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 01:47:05 AM »
Cross shaped bases?  Now that is an interesting idea indeed.  I use US pennies for all the minis that I can, even many 28mm will fit just fine.  I do like the idea of the smallest possible base that will do its job.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 02:01:34 AM »
I definitely think they have their place. As I mentioned I think they work well for furniture.
But for exterior games textured bases are much more to my taste.
Mark.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 07:28:17 AM »
I am back and forth on this as i am back and forth on basing vehicles. :-)

Grimm

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
Probably not.  Even when done well ie totally matt they have a sci-fi feel to them and my sci-fi are always likely to be found in grey interior terrain so get painted accordingly. 

There is a problem with figures that have to be used over different terrains - for more urban types I stick with the plain grey base and for more rural types I keep to an earthy brown with no/minimal vegetation.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)