Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686583
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clear bases, yes or no?  (Read 18579 times)

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Re: Clear bases, yes or no?
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
Well I originally bought a 3/4" punch but as these miniatures are bit heroically scaled quite a few of them didn't actually fit, so in the end I went with consistency rather than going for a good fit on each model. I might rebase some back to the smaller size as in retrospect base radius doesn't make much difference with the rules I'm using.

For me the thing I especially like is how their feet are actually on the ground rather than on some sort of platform!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2019, 07:08:24 PM »
Sally 4th had some clear sabot bases on display at Partizan.
The nice lady said they had priced them up for a customer, but he
had thought them too expensive. She did say they would put a notice
onto LAF about the possible price, to see if any of us might be interested.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »
Sorry but clear bases are an abomination before for. Likewise teddy bear fur....

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »
A resounding "heck yea"

I think they look great.  Overly done scenic bases are my pet peeve (hate 'em!), and silly snow covered based look awful on a jungle world, and vice versa.  I am a big fan of "less is more" here, and do my bases very simply.  For boardgames, I try to rebase nearly everything on clear acrylic disks because it looks so much better.  For tabletop wargames, I will often give in and just do normal bases, but I typically do a simple dirt base, maybe with a little grass or something. 

But I use clear disks wherever I can.  You can even use super-thin bases, if that's your thing (take a one-inch punch to a blister pack, for example, and use the resulting super thin disks.  Perfect!)  In general, they look so much nicer.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
Here are the OSHIRO ones. We’ve also got some suitable for both Test of Honour and Mortal Gods rules sets.

https://oshiromodels.wixsite.com/oshiromodelswebshop/gamingaid
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »
I have ordered some, but not yet arrived, so can't yet comment on their wonderfulness (or not).

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »
There's these from ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fluid3dworkshop/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

But

when you cut them from the surround they come with you get four marks which are as annoying as ****!
I use mine for testing.
They are covered in a plastic protective coat.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:40:32 PM by redzed »
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2019, 01:47:08 PM »
If I was starting now, I’d definitely go with clear bases - they look so much better. I’ve never been a fan of the "diorama" base for gaming figures - all that scenery being dragged round from one inappropriate terrain type to another.

My annual gaming chums Mad Lord Snapcase and Vagabond, both of this parish, use the punch-out, thin type and they are splendid. I’m not so fond of the acrylic ones - the edges spoil the "look, no base!" effect but those thin ones.....excellent.

If only I hadn’t got thousands of figures on standard bases.......

Doug

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
I have ordered some, but not yet arrived, so can't yet comment on their wonderfulness (or not).

You should get them tomorrow.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2019, 04:02:15 PM »
Here's my big problem with clear bases - how am I supposed to use magnet based storage now?  How do you clear base people store your figures?  I'd like to try it, at least for skirmishy type figures, but that's my big hangup currently.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2019, 04:06:07 PM »
Generally speaking, not a fan.

I have seen some (like this thread) which are well done, but the vast majority I've seen in person are incredibly distracting - namely due to the glare.  I've found a lot of photos supporting the practice to be carefully chosen/selected to not show the glare.  The thicker normal Litko ones are very obviously present in most gaming pictures, etc.

Do I think they can be done right?  Sure.  However I'd normally just prefer an inoffensive standard green/beige base.  I have some clear-based minis of my own (namely tentacles from a sea-monster), and I'm  not likely to do more in the future.  More often than not the glare from any lighting is just too distracting for me. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
I have seen some (like this thread) which are well done, but the vast majority I've seen in person are incredibly distracting - namely due to the glare.  I've found a lot of photos supporting the practice to be carefully chosen/selected to not show the glare.  The thicker normal Litko ones are very obviously present in most gaming pictures, etc.

I'm trying them out for one project, and like them in this particular application.  Gearing up for Maximillian 1934 and won't be needing lots of foot figures; plus some of the vehicles will need to go on bases, I may base all of them.  I certainly couldn't imagine using them for other projects with lots more foot figures that would need cutting away from cast-on bases.  There are also many projects where I use basing details to help distinguish different units.

But for specific application, I like how they are working.  Having followed the thread here for some time, I'm punching out my own from the Ultra-Pro top-loaders.  I'm using Fiskars lever punches, and expect these will hold up well over use.  I really like the thinness of these, I really like how it keeps the height of the figures in better proportion to the height of vehicles, doorways, etc.  I would not use thick acrylics, for me the bulky translucent base would not compare well to flocked/detailed bases.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »
Oshiro. The bases did arrive the next day.
I am very pleased with them' though it will be a while
before I get figures based ready for them.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2019, 08:21:14 PM »
What is the general opinion of the group on using clear bases for minis as opposed to traditional ones?
Me: Hah, what heresy! Clearly they look like shy... - glances at latest examples, results in an instant come-to-Jesus moment.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2019, 12:13:56 AM »
Oshiro. The bases did arrive the next day.
I am very pleased with them' though it will be a while
before I get figures based ready for them.

Brill, thanks for letting me know  :)