Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clear bases, yes or no?  (Read 18585 times)

Offline digid

• Bookworm
Re: Clear bases, yes or no?
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2019, 03:29:50 PM »
I have been using clear bases on my pulp stuff for awhile now, and have been very happy with them. I use the Litco 1.5mm bases. The key to the glare problem is to file the edge to remove the shinny irregular surface. This leaves the edge with a slight frost and it just disappears when on the board.  I prep my figures by removing the bases with flush cut nippers and file flat. Add a brass pin in 1 foot about 1 inch long. This gets stuck in wine cork for painting. To mount just trim brass tp length and insert in hole drilled in base. I use gorilla ca to mount. This sounds long but is a quick process.

For figures not on clear bases I just use bases with tile grout texture painted earth with sand dry brush. Nothing else no flock etc. to me this is a good compromise to the terrain/building issue. The only figures what get flock are things that are outside only like my ACW and ancients.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2020, 06:35:00 AM »
I tried clear bases for my Sci-fi minis since they were going to be used on so many different types of terrain. I started with 3mm bases from Greenstuff world. I was not pleased with the result. I then tried 1.5mm Litko bases and was much happier with the result.  Of course my European source dried up and getting them from the States can be spendy so I have been looking for other sources. Currently I am waiting for some 1.5mm bases to arrive from Australia.

It can be really fiddly putting minis on clear bases but it does take less time than a well done natural terrain base like I do for my medieval fantasy minis. As others on this thread have stated, I am also not a fan of over the top iconic natural terrain bases. Epic hero poses on imposing rocky heights for example or an elf in a tree.... the same way I do not like a bloody corpse following a character around on its base.... just seem out of place too often.

But when you look at say going indoors, underground or aboard ship... then clear bases seem appealing. That said, when I look at the minis for some reason the clear bases just look less jarring on the more modern minis. I can not figure out why.

I suppose it may be the same thing where my mind seems ok with flat cardboard terrain for sci-fi but not medieval fantasy.

Edit: Conveniently the bases arrived from Australia today. 25mm and 40mm... they look great. I found them thanks to advice from another lead adventure member. You can find them on the Australian EBay.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:53:20 PM by Rick W. »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2020, 06:55:59 AM »
I like them as my forces are generally multi purpose - WW2 Soviets and Commandos, Pulp gangs etc. 

Just an idea for those using them - if you paint the edge a neutral colour (grey, brown, etc) the edge becomes much less obvious also if you put a dot of sepia ink at the interface where the feet are any clouding from the glue will vanish ;)

My next force is Canadians in Dieppe, they will be getting shingle bases as it's linked to their back story, otherwise they'd be getting clear too!

I use 1mm acrylic DIY laser cut but I do like the super think bases.... might have to give them a go instead!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2020, 07:22:37 AM »
I have used them on the crew for a ship which I have. I want them to fit into the model but also be used in the longboats I have and on land too.

I think they look fine.

I won't used this method for my normal troops, but for these guys it works.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »
I'm always torn with clear bases - For the most part i build warbands as thematic little projects and the bases are part of the overall narrative of the minis - my sunhold minis are on overgrown tiles, my retro orks are on oxide industrial bases etc....

But more and more i'm thinking of switching to super thin clear bases or even the old gorkamorka style micro bases so that i can build more engaging terrain that isn't so blatantly built to accommodate a 45mm disk.