Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:14:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Few pictures from our recent "Daisho" game  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
Few pictures from our recent "Daisho" game
« on: January 22, 2019, 06:03:42 AM »
We managed to play a game of "Daisho" this weekend to see how it compares with our usual Ronin and En Garde!  rule systems which we are normally playing.
As we had a good amount of Monks and bandits it was an easy choice to play first scenario from rulebook which put these buntai against each other in  Temple robbery scenario.
Both gangs were trying to recover stolen goods which were represented by six markers put not far away from the center of the table.
It was pretty dramatic game with a lot off cliffhangers and heroic or totally crazy moments as our dice for some unspeakable reason have rolled mostly 10 or 1  for a most part of the  game. :)
It was a pretty brutal game with a lot of casualties on both sides but in the end Monks are turned out victorious capturing two of three treasures markers.

Also you can see a few more pictures of the game in my blog here: http://abdulgoldberg.blogspot.com/2019/01/blog-post_22.html

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:26:26 AM by Nimrod »

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
Re: Few pictures from our recent "Daisho" game
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »
Very nice table and setup!

Now that you played both Daisho and Ronin, what´s your opinion? We too played both games in our group and like both, but ended in favour of Daisho, because of the fantasy elements and the "heroic" approach. Gameplay seems to be a bit faster, too.

nandrin

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:41:40 AM »
Fabulous looking game .

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
Very nice table and setup!

Now that you played both Daisho and Ronin, what´s your opinion? We too played both games in our group and like both, but ended in favour of Daisho, because of the fantasy elements and the "heroic" approach. Gameplay seems to be a bit faster, too.

nandrin

Thank you!

Speaking about both of these rules I can't say that I have any strong preferences rules wise for now as both systems IMO have they own pros and cons. I'll try to summarize my impressions about rules here.

I really liked  campaign and mission generating system in Daisho I suppose that we are going to try it in the near future.
Character generator was pretty neat too.
Adding mythical creatures and magic was good idea too, even if we are not going to use them on regular basis a few Oni will most certainly appear at some point in some of our future games.
I don't like how weapons were treated in Daisho at all, as all of them look very samey to me, in game terms there was absolutely no difference between two handed axe and yari for example. In a game which uses only a handful of miniatures like Daisho I was hoping to get more depth from fighting system than that.
All other parts of the game worked fine for me so I can't say much more about these rules.

Speaking about Ronin I must mention that we ended playing "En Garde!" instead of playing with basic Ronin rules, which is basically Ronin 2.0 just not focused on Japan, but free from some minor rules flaws that initial Ronin had.
Converting existing buntai rosters from Ronin to En Garde! was pretty easy thing to do, and most of my impressions about that game will go from playing En Garde!
I like combat system of En Garde/Ronin more than Daisho as all of these abilities like parry, riposte and making choices between defensive and offensive styles of fighting gave me a feeling of actual martial combat like in classic samurai movies even if it takes slightly more time to resolve combats.
Ronin campaign system on the other hand was not really impressive but I suspect that it happened because of usual Osprey book format restraints then anything else.

I need a few more games of Daisho to make my final conclusion about which game I prefer more but for now I'm thinking about using En Garde with mission creation rules from Daisho, but I supose that we are going to discuss such an option with other players from our club.

Fabulous looking game .
Thank you kindly! :)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:00:13 PM »
Great looking table Nimrod! WOW! :o I see you were one of the lucky ones to get that Torii from Escenorama before they pulled it from production. Lucky dog you.

Offline orc

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:28:48 AM »
Superb Game and board  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »
Great looking table Nimrod! WOW! :o I see you were one of the lucky ones to get that Torii from Escenorama before they pulled it from production. Lucky dog you.
Thanks!
IMHO Escenorama's Torii were best on market it is strange that they decided to get rid of it.

Superb Game and board  :-* :-* :-*
Thank you! :)

Offline Euthanasor

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:48:55 AM »
Wonderful table.
Where are your market's goodies from?

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »
Wonderful table.
Where are your market's goodies from?
Thank you!
Market goodies are from Tabletop World and Tiny Furniture companies.
Links to manufacturers sites:
http://tiny-furniture.com/products/category/1482691
https://www.tabletop-world.com/?product_cat=accessories

Offline Euthanasor

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
Thank you.

Euthanasor !

I think the Tiny Products are available in France with DecorsMiniatures !

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 03:02:34 PM »
Wonderful table.
A great set up you have.
Thanks for posting photos.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »
Thanks!
IMHO Escenorama's Torii were best on market it is strange that they decided to get rid of it.

It's screaming to be added to my Fantasy Japan project. Sadly the owner told me it "might" be put back into production because it needed new molds, but that was 3 years ago now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:55:36 PM by Bravo Six »

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 03:31:52 AM »
Stunning miniatures and beautiful terrain.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
Excellent looking game, the lots of small pieces you've added to the scenery make a huge difference to the look.

Thanks for the explanation of you thoughts on the two rule sets, I usually play solo games and bought Ronin but I don't think the combat system works very well solo, or maybe not at all really.