Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic Frostgrave Wizards  (Read 14729 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Plastic Frostgrave Wizards
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »
The fun part though, if you left any Soldier or Cultist bodies unassembled, you could easily use those bodies too for an additional wizard or apprentice. I've already seen some people use them for a wizard and they look fantastic!

Such as

From Soldiers II.

From the Barbarians.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »
Kev Dallimore had a play around making a Wizard and Apprentice from the Frostgrave Soldiers box back in the day. We never painted them!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 10:14:01 PM »
The one on the right looks like Filch from the Harry Potter films
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 01:36:56 AM »
They did a whole contest for these when Ghost Archipelago first came out:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/triple_sprue_challenge_results/

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
I was so inspired by that, that I have put a cultist Wizard together.

This one is built using the Cultist sprue for the body and head, and the arms (and boat hook/two handed weapon) from the Ghost Archipelago Sailors. The Cultists sprue also provided the accessories. The boat hook has two pieces from the knife and fetish component, the knife is attached to the figures front behind the staff. There will be a bit of Greenstuff work to secure it.

This one and the barbarian wizard use the same mail order company for their staff.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
Kev Dallimore had a play around making a Wizard and Apprentice from the Frostgrave Soldiers box back in the day. We never painted them!

Very nice. I will need to look at the staff from the original soldiers' sprue again.

Did he cut the shafts and fletchings from the quiver to make a scroll case on the apprentice?

Any "official" hints on the original reason for this thread?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:52:17 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »
Yes, that is how the scroll case was made. The staff is two axe shafts. The doobre on top of the staff is the only non-Soldier frame addition. I can't remember what Kev said that was.

Official announcement is that there isn't an official announcement yet. But between us, the plastic frame that has 4 wizard bodies and LOADS of arms, heads, accessories on is finished. We're planning to put two in a box. Hoping for a February release.

And before anyone asks, they are all males. The good news is we're planning the female wizards next. We don't believe in mixed frames. I'll be brutally honest, aesthetically we don't believe sticking a womans head on a man's body makes a female figure.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
Sounds awesome and a great idea. I might have to pick up a set to kit bash with some Oathmark elves for Erehwon.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:15:44 AM by Lost Egg »
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »
Yes, that is how the scroll case was made. The staff is two axe shafts. The doobre on top of the staff is the only non-Soldier frame addition. I can't remember what Kev said that was.

Official announcement is that there isn't an official announcement yet. But between us, the plastic frame that has 4 wizard bodies and LOADS of arms, heads, accessories on is finished. We're planning to put two in a box. Hoping for a February release.

And before anyone asks, they are all males. The good news is we're planning the female wizards next. We don't believe in mixed frames. I'll be brutally honest, aesthetically we don't believe sticking a womans head on a man's body makes a female figure.

If it is a February release, will it be a Nickstarter to coincide with the Wizard's Conclave book?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »
I don't think so. We may just release the wizards and the book.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »

Excellent. Good aesthetic point.

So there will be eight bodies in the box?

If it is a February release, will it be a Nickstarter to coincide with the Wizard's Conclave book?
I don't think so. We may just release the wizards and the book.
Will it be a February release?

Whenever the release, I look forward to seeing them.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 04:20:12 PM »
It'll be two frames, each with 4 bodies on and LOADS of stuff.

I think late Feb.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »
Was more thinking the 4 (as it turns out) bodies could be 2 male/2 female, but that would only limit options (e.g. 4 heads each fitting those 2 bodies, rather than having 8 heads fitting 4 bodies). No complaints at all about the appearance of a second set! Very happy with North Star's plastic output and choice of subjects.
~Ad finem temporum~