Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:04:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My first figures for Lunar  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Ben Cato

• Schoolboy
Re: My first figures for Lunar
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2024, 08:29:56 AM »
For those interested in how weapons operate in a vacuum there is the de-classified report - "Meanderings of a weapon oriented mind when applied in a vacuum such as on the moon." first published in 1965. I found it very interesting.

https://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p4013coll11/id/2010/

from the Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library

Author    [Directorate of R & D, Future Weapons Office, U.S. Army Weapons Command]
Abstract   The purpose of this brochure is to stimulate the thinking of weapon people all the way from those who are responsible for the establishment of requirements, through those who are responsible for funding, to the weapon designer himself. Although the primary purpose of man in space (on the moon or other planets) will not be to fight, he requires the capability to defend himself if necessary. There may be other countries desirous of preventing U.S. access to the moon and other planets. If space is truly for peace, we must be strong there just as we are on earth. Because of the entirely new and different environment and conditions facing man in space, we cannot wait until the eleventh hour to "crash" a weapon program through with any hope of success, for we may even now be standing on the edge of the battleground of Armageddon. To quote our President before he ascended to the Presidency, "Space is infinite. Man's knowledge of space is finite. The sum of our understanding is not yet sufficient for us to comprehend how vast the dimensions of our ignorance."

Publisher   Rock Island, Illinois : Headquarters, U.S. Army Weapons Command,
Date, Original   1965

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2024, 11:08:16 AM »
...What were the pistols used in Ad Astra when Brad was zooming over the luna surface?

That reminded me that that movie was still on my 'to watch' list, so I sat through it last night. A pretty compelling movie all in all with some pretty nifty visuals and effects (but also some glaringly badly researched bits). The lunar race was really cool and because of your post, I was especially focussed on looking at the hand guns. They looked like a scifi version of a British Welrod silenced pistol.

But that's basically a tube with a pistol grip underneath as well, so that's probably where I got that idea from. In reality though, I figure it's a custom design made especially for the film.

It fires something that flashes blue, which suggest something like a plasma weapon or perhaps a gauss gun, firing ballistic ammo. It was never explained in-movie.

I do believe the crew of the interplanetary ship he leaves the Moon with, eventually wield them as well. Inside a ship in deep space, so the projected energy might well be sufficiently low to prevent hull breaches...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2024, 09:21:45 AM »
They look great  :)

What were the pistols used in Ad Astra when Brad was zooming over the luna surface?

Here is an image of one of the prop guns, it seems they were made for the film out of a bit of pipe with a grip and trigger guard added. My first thought was a Welrod too!

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/ad-astra-space-pistol-prop-gun.305871/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:26:57 AM by Oldgamer »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2024, 09:36:12 AM »
Intriguing - I feel myself drawn towards a new project
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2024, 09:38:33 AM »
It fires something that flashes blue, which suggest something like a plasma weapon or perhaps a gauss gun, firing ballistic ammo. It was never explained in-movie.

I do believe the crew of the interplanetary ship he leaves the Moon with, eventually wield them as well. Inside a ship in deep space, so the projected energy might well be sufficiently low to prevent hull breaches...

Just enough to kill or incapacitate but not damage anything else  >:D lol

Here is an image of one of the prop guns, it seems they were made for the film out of a bit of pipe with a grip and trigger guard added. My first thought was a Welrod too!

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/ad-astra-space-pistol-prop-gun.305871/

That's cool, thank you  :)

Intriguing - I feel myself drawn towards a new project

I have lunar boards (Limehouse)...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:48:00 AM by OSHIROmodels »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/