Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690699
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Hue 1968 from Gringo40s. New!!  (Read 210214 times)

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Hue 1968 from Gringo40s. New!!
« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Freakyfenton

great picture thanks...been to a couple of
War and peace shows always a blast!

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #346 on: April 29, 2019, 04:55:06 AM »
Great news Ged, will certainly be sending an order in, like the previews I have seen....I shall enjoy getting some buildings done. already have some for the historic part of Hue under construction

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #347 on: April 29, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
Shipka

many thanks as ever! :D
cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2019, 08:37:06 AM »
Hue 68 update...……...first wave of Greeens are with Griffin Moulds JJP
looking forward to them weaving their magic  :D :o 8) :-* ;)

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2019, 08:40:20 AM »
Half way through the book Ged. Quite suspenseful the author portrays with the battle.

Good news on your greens.

Best wishes,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #350 on: May 01, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
Yes, great news looking forward to seeing them

Stephen

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #351 on: May 01, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
thanks Helen and Bergschotten :D

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #352 on: May 01, 2019, 04:01:53 PM »
I too look forward to seeing the figures.
May I ask, what is the lead figure count
of the to be released figures?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline DaveL

• Bookworm
« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »
Hope to see the finished results from the greens asap

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #354 on: May 03, 2019, 05:26:52 AM »
some lovely looking figures in there, looking forward to getting some :-)
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #355 on: May 03, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »
of possible interest.
To get in the zone for the soon to be released Hue 68 range i wondered how
present day MRE meals would compare with the Nam issued items..so i ordered
direct from Texas a box of present day Army (covers civilian and emergency
services)
...they arrived pretty fast ....no C4 provided so you get a flamless ration heater
has to be done outside as oxygen can be displasyed by the heater tab!...so havnt tried that yet,,,beef stew!. contains many of the old favourites..hot sauces.."the spoon"..salt pepper.."candy roll" crackers...exotic dry fruit has been added..crushed red pepper.  pinto beans now instead of Lima beans and ham, plus veggiie stuff.
anyway ,just a minor but fun diversion

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:56:50 PM by gringo »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2019, 11:25:52 AM »
The longest we did in the field was 10 days with an overnight BBQ mid exercise, so MRE's weren't too bad apart from a sameness but trading did occur, The best part was the tube of condensed milk and the chocolate, you could almost exist on that. The bonus was going to 2 Cav with the built in "Jack" ration boxes (and eskies sometimes) which made even a day trip a pleasant diversion. Would hate to have been a grunt with no Jack rations. Our guys made a fortune selling warm beer at night when they harboured with the grunts.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »
Poiter50

interesting stuff...…..wasn't the "pound" cake good as well?
and the peaches bearable...I believe pinto and ham were
the least favourite!

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2019, 12:23:05 PM »
I have no idea how MRE’s taste but I can comment on the Australian 24 hour ration pack from the 1980s which was essentially unchanged from the Vietnam era.*

There were five ‘menus’ and none of them were especially palatable. The only way to make them palatable was to supply your own condiments, anyone with functioning taste buds would carry their own Tabasco or a tabasco or similar bottle filled with Worcestershire sauce.

The worst bits were the tins of ‘Luncheon meat’ which was the greasiest, fattiest shit imaginable. Think the cheapest tin of corned beef imaginable and dial it up to 11. It even came in two ‘variants’. Type I and Type II. The difference? Type I was twice the size. Then there was the Corned Beef which was a variation the above. The beef and veg stew was bland but bearable and early on there were still tins of something called Vienna sausage which was suggestive of the Vienna of The Third Man or possibly the 17th C Turkish siege. That last one was definitely Vietnam era although I can’t recall if it popped up in the 24 hour or the ten man. The ten man did have a genuinely wonderful item a big tin of fruit cake, that actually tasted like fruit cake and was reasonably moist.

I recall something dry and flavourless called Ham and Egg, which had a counterpart in one of the other packs described, prosaically, as Pork and Beans.

The most creative item was almost certainly the dehydrated potato mush. You could add a whole mug of water and boil the fucking stuff for ever and there were always clumps of dried powder to choke on. It had the consistency and flavour of wallpaper paste. It was only years in that I learned the trick to this stuff. Part of the ration was a green tube of ‘butter concentrate’ (a clear breach of the Trade Practices Act if ever there was). This vile tube of cosmoline substitute found it’s purpose if added to the potato powder. Somehow the grease broke down the water resistance of the muck. Didn’t make it taste any better though.

A bloke I knew who worked for Kraft told me that they did a run of the tinned cheese every four or five years. Probably wasted effort as it would outlast creation. If you balled it up, you could use it as squash ball. Tasted like rubber as well.

The tinned fruit, the shortbread and the ‘cereal biscuit’ were the saving graces of the whole thing, they were vaguely recognisable as foodstuffs. Actually the best thing in the whole pack was the can opener or bot spoon. This was a much superior item to its US counterpart. It had a useful spoon in the handle which also gave better purchase for opening tins. In fact, I reckon they are the best tin opener ever devised. I still have a couple in the kitchen drawers which get used regularly.

In the late eighties it all got very ritzy, with tins of ‘lamb and rosemary’, ‘beef tortellini’ etc. Still bland as fuck but better than luncheon meat.

Rarely ate the freeze dried version. They required too much water but I recall them being somewhat more flavoursome than the tinned version.

* There is some evidence and much conjecture that some of these items were Vietnam era stock. The use by dates for these things ran for donkeys years.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:26:09 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo