Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:10:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Best way to portray early 16th century pikemen?

Standing, pike upright, butt on ground
24 (40%)
Marching, pike over shoulder, point angled about 45 degrees backward
3 (5%)
Advancing, pike butt in one hand, pike almost straight up
9 (15%)
Advancing, pike held in both hands, slightly forward
21 (35%)
Push of pikes (pikes out)
3 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 05:54:28 PM

Author Topic: Best way to portray early 16th century pikemen?  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
Best way to portray early 16th century pikemen?
« on: January 25, 2019, 05:54:28 PM »
Curious about which of the various pike holding positions gamers prefer when building units for the Italian Wars/Early 16th century.  This is for 15mm if it matters, but I reckon it doesn't.  Pikes would be separate in all cases.
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Best way to portray early 16th century pikemen?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 05:58:11 PM »
Personally, with pikemen I've always favoured having the front rank with pikes levelled, then the next couple of ranks with them held diagonally up, then the next rank held vertically, so there's a hedgehog effect. But this is a bit of a hassle and probably tricky to move them about on the table if the pikes are sticking out at the front.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »
That's what I mean by Pikes Out by the way -- push of pike.

I think gamers don't like that too much because it's very impractical to line up units in base contact.  But I'm listening .....

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:28:41 AM »
I am with Cubs on this one, front ranks level, then angle changing progressively towards upright going back through the Block.

As in the pic below of one of my blocks I extend the base at the front to protect the figures and the fingers of the players (they are steel with a pointy end), gaming wise never had a problem, simply agree with your opponent where measurement is taken from either front of the actual base or where the front of the base would be without the extention, which is easy enough to mark. If the other player argues about the depth of the unit I would normally go and find someone else to game with !

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"

Offline Andreas Johansson

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:32:35 AM »
I like the pikes somewhat forward option, it's reasonably practical for gaming and imparts an impression of forward momentum.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
I play FoG:R at 15mm, using almost entirely 2nd Generation Minifigs.  I'm with the majority (pike upright, butt on ground), for two reasons.  First, because all my 15mm pikeys have had their (soft) metal spaghetti replaced with brass pikes, with leaf-shaped tips which really hurt if you try and pick them up other than by the bases. 

And second, because I'm a sadistic bastard.....

I did forget once and ended up with two bases, each of four pikemen, embedded into the ball of my thumb.  Just lucky they weren't later Renaissance-era pikes, as I double rank them on the bases for better visual impact.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »
Almost all of mine are Pikes at 45.  The reasons are two-fold.  One, for ease of play, two, because that’s how Old Glory did it and they were cheaper. 

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
Advancing, pikes lowered at 45 degrees, with additional packs for front rank levelled pikes.

I personally can't stand the 'standing to attention' poses.... because once they are contacting the enemy in game it just looks daft!  Though for the same reason I don't like wild, action-packed combat poses...., because they look daft in any other situation....
I like a compromise for all units -advancing close to the enemy poses, so they look good in all stages of the game.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 02:53:19 AM »
Interestingly though, most of the models in your unit are in other poses I suggested!!!

I am with Cubs on this one, front ranks level, then angle changing progressively towards upright going back through the Block.

As in the pic below of one of my blocks I extend the base at the front to protect the figures and the fingers of the players (they are steel with a pointy end), gaming wise never had a problem, simply agree with your opponent where measurement is taken from either front of the actual base or where the front of the base would be without the extention, which is easy enough to mark. If the other player argues about the depth of the unit I would normally go and find someone else to game with !

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline jaytee

• Assistant
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
All of them!
HISTORICAL WARGAMER BLOG: https://miniaturewar.games

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:17:29 PM »
Interestingly though, most of the models in your unit are in other poses I suggested!!!

Not sure what you mean ? The poll doesn't have an all of the above option, it reads, to me like a, "which of the following is the best". I was saying I like multiple poses to produce the unit shown.

Regards Ken

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
I’d agree with ‘all of them’ - I’d like my units to be the way Yarkshire Gamer has them and you’d need all the poses suggested. I like the way it displays how a pike block worked and suggests the momentum/size that made it so effective.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »
Like so....

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
I like the standing pike option most,
It's the easiest to use and to move around in the table
and it has that kriegsspiel / toy soldier look which I prefer
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 06:09:50 PM »
I’d agree with ‘all of them’ - I’d like my units to be the way Yarkshire Gamer has them and you’d need all the poses suggested. I like the way it displays how a pike block worked and suggests the momentum/size that made it so effective.

Which is fine until you get someone like the tw*t who re-designed the 15mm Minifigs range back in the mid 1980s and made the unarmoured (ie rear ranks) pikemen at "charge your pike" and the armoured (ie front ranks) pikemen at order arms.  And not just for one nationality, but for two - Landsknechts and English!