Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:44:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689787
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vauban fortress  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Vauban fortress
« on: January 27, 2019, 08:50:24 PM »
Greetings everyone
A long time have I wanted to build a bastion fortress. The great thing about these guys is, that they span at least 300 hundred years and can be used for multiple periods of wargaming. I have a sizeable collection of 15mm 17th century miniatures and after playing lots of BFAS games they needed new challenges. Making the whole process easier beeing 15mm I jumped in this weekend though only on the drawing board. My initial plans are to make the upper half with two bastions and the gate and possible a ravelin in front. Later I can add the other half if I fell up to it.

I plan to scale up the drawing by three or fore times making the sides of the bastions 15-20 cm. long and the whole thing 75-100 cm wide at the widest place, excluding the moat. I don't know if I am completely happy with the shape of the bastions so they might change in the building process, but the general layout is right.

I will keep posting on this thread when things get underway, hopefully soon.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Re: Vauban fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:03 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this!
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
I am also looking forward to this. I have a Vauban fortress with covered way and glacis, or a part of one. It has two bastions and a ravelin. It was made by a now defunct company so I can't get more pieces. Hmm, have to post photos to my blog first before I can copy them here. That might be a while.

What rules will you use for your sieges? And what are BFAS rules?
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »
I’ll also be watching this one.  Too luck!
Been playing with toy soldiers since the mid 70s.  Not planning to grow up any time soon.

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
Good luck!  Excuse the typo!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »

What rules will you use for your sieges? And what are BFAS rules?

By Fire and Sword

Late 17th century predominantly Eastern Europe. Interesting, very playable, set of rules. Doesn't cover sieges, yet. But they keep adding to the rules and there is a forum which is fairly active
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 03:13:30 AM »
I will enjoy seeing what you come up with.  I cheated and bought the set from Stone Mountain but am adapting some extra pieces to a semi-destroyed fortress.  Perhaps I will 'borrow' some of your ideas.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 06:18:13 AM »
Hi!
I mark this thread to be watching your progress.
Good luck with your project!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
I did this portion of a Vauban fortress in 28mm for a game I ran at the Cold Wars convention a few years back.  It was based loosely on the siege of Jasna Gora monastery in Poland by the Swedes during the Deluge in 1655. 

I just carved up some high density blue foam and lined the top of the walls with Styrofoam craft blocks. I have more pictures on my blog: 

http://bogdanwaz.blogspot.com/2016/08/robbing-madonna-siege-of-czestochowa.html

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
Look at https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=37746.msg446352#msg446352
This is a F&IW, Vauban fortress that was constructed for use in many games over the years.  It is based on four 4x8 foot panels.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Vauban fortress update
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »
Hello again
Nice to have so many people following. It certainly motivates and I can see I am not alone in wanting a bastion fortress. As I said earlier I was not completely satisfied with the bastion and I have been working hard to come up with a ground plan I like. When you go Vauban style you have to do lots of symmetrical drawings. Otherwise, you are doing it wrong! I wanted the bastions to be really big. When you read of 17th-century sieges it often revolves around taking just one or two bastions. They almost function as small fortresses in their own right. So the bastions had to be big. In the foto, you see four bases of infantry and two cannons in one of the bastions. At the moment I don't know if I want to extend the walls further. I wanted to include the whole thing including the moat and ravelin on one board, but I'm having trouble fitting it all in there. If make the moat separately I can make the walls longer. First up though is the bastion. I have cut them out from 4 cm thick polyester plates and glued two together to make an 8 cm tall wall. Tomorrow when they are dry I start work on then.

As for rules. We haven't played that many sieges yet, but like Pike n Shote from Warlord. We mixed rules from some of their different campaign books from both renaissance and ancient. Other than that I don't really know any sieges rules.

Bogdanwaz: really cool looking sieges. I like your trench lines and also the many characterful miniatures.

I will be back soon with proper photos instead of all these drawings.

Cheers
Erik

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
Hi!
You may find something interesting at my postings, here:

A Vauban fort (Part 1) - the Gate
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98636.msg1224671#msg1224671
A Vauban fort (Part 2) - The Grand Bastion
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98652.msg1223330#msg1223330
A Vauban fort (Part 3) - Complete
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98689.msg1226614#msg1226614
A Vauban fort (Part 4) The city in the walls
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=98709.msg1224156#msg1224156

made from cardboard, cork and photoshopped paper for 15mm scale.

Cheers,
Dinos

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
Fabulous, Dinos!

We have a very cold day coming tomorrow. Perhaps I'll take photos of my fort and post them, still not as impressive as yours.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
Here's a picture of my fortress:

It was manufactured by a company that since stopped. The design was briefly carried by another company but they stopped too. More photos here https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 09:18:21 PM »
After a weeks work my bastion fortress is taking shape. The ramparts are done, and I have to start thinking about adding sand and flock. Of course, I also need to build a gatehouse. I am not sure how tall I want it just yet, so I've been butting it off a bit. Even though I must admit that the brick bastions of vtsaogames and dinthedin look outstanding I am going for earthen bastions like the outer works of vtsaogames. I have ordered a ton of flock so until that shows up I just have the gatehouse left. I haven't decided whether or not the ad sand to the ramparts as well as the bastions. All Danish bastions are made completely out of earth including the ramparts. I am just afraid it might cloud out the details.

As you can see from the last picture the bastions are huge compared to the 15 mm. miniatures.

Cheers
Erik