Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vauban fortress  (Read 4650 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vauban fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 11:30:33 PM »
The bastions should be huge.
The distance between bastions should be no wider than short range for musket fire so that there is no dead ground for attackers to shelter in.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 02:28:50 AM »
Looking good so far.  I do recommend - STRONGLY! - that you clad that beaded foam with something or you will have thumb print indentations for certain sure.  Hope you have a good shop vac, that stuff is nasty to work with and sticks to anything and everything.  It is off my materials list for ever and always.

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 05:00:42 AM »
I built one in 1/50scale a while back, a model of the Castillo de San Marcos in Saint Augustine Florida. Quite conveniently the Spanish covered their New World forts in a hard white stucco, thus saving me from worrying about brickwork! To protect the surface I covered it with cardstock glued down with standard wood glue, it dries quite hard and is very durable, a thin layer of Durham's Water Putty works wonders too!

Online Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 06:40:18 AM »
Beaded foam clad in sand! Roger

It also strengthens the hole thing.

Gatehouse still to come.

Cheers

Erik

Online Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 09:47:02 PM »
My bastion fortress is nearing completion. All that is left is the final touches on the gatehouse. I've never been good at painting walls. Now they are light grey, but they need some darkening and weathering. I also need to work out how the gatehouse lines up with the earth bastions. I think I will end up sloping the sides a bit, but that will need cutting in the bastions which I've been avoiding so far. Other than that I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. The ravelin will have to wait a bit because what I really want right now is to paint up lost of infantry so we can start gaming with it. BFAS is all about cavalry so I don't have that much infantry painted up at the moment.

Cheers

Erik

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 02:35:10 AM »
Looking real good now.  You might dry the sponge effect on the gatehouse to get it a closer match to your walls.  And don't be afraid to daub away some of the sponge effect with a dry paper towel.  And a little dry  brushing on your roof tiles will help. 

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
That's looking really good.  I want one!

:) :)
Been playing with toy soldiers since the mid 70s.  Not planning to grow up any time soon.

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »
Great job!

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
Superb!  :)

BTW this is an idea for working doors:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60426.msg722903#msg722903

And a friend of mine made a Castillo de San Marcos (slightly reduced in size) some years ago.
http://argad.forumculture.net/t94-castillo-de-san-marcos?highlight=castillo

Online Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 09:57:46 AM »
Glad you like it.
FifteensAway: Thank for the tip. I will definitely give it a go.

Patrice: Very nice fortress. Way too ambitious for me. That goes for the doors as well. The little guys will have to batter their way through  lol.

cheers
Erik