Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: KNIGHTFALL Season 2 now available on NETFLIX  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
KNIGHTFALL Season 2 now available on NETFLIX
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2019, 07:08:06 PM »

The second season of History's (formerly known as The History Channel) KNIGHTFALL is now available for viewing on NETFLIX, I believe worldwide.

I worked as an Executive Producer on this second season and wrote 2 episodes with my writing/producing partner -- but even if that was not the case, I would be here promoting it to you, my fellow Medieval wargamers.

"Why" you ask"??

Well…

Because it is dark and gritty, and though it takes some liberties with the early 14th Century historical record, still makes an effort to give an accurate impression of the era, and IMHO features some excellent production design and great performances.

If you add up all 8 episodes of Season Two, they total just under 6 hours of Medieval story-telling (with no dragons or orc, elves or wizards in sight -- not that there's anything wrong with that) filled with an abundance of early 14th Century MEDIEVAL GOODNESS, including but not limited to:

-Heroically doomed Templars
-Cursed French Royals
-Bloodthirsty Luciferian heretics
-High Medieval military training
-Flashbacks to the persecution of Cathars in the Occitane
-Nobly decaying Leper Knights of Saint Lazarus (when's the last time you saw those dudes on the small -- or big -- screen???)
-Palace intrigue
-Curia intrigue
-Pope Boniface VIII and the Slap of Anagni
-Skirmishes galore
-The rise of the French Royal army
-The rise of Isabella the "She Wolf" of France
-The fall of Margaret of Burgundy in the Tour de Nesle Affair
-A full-blown siege
-Multiple burnings at the stake

I ask you my fellow Medieval history enthusiasts: what's not to like???***

Tune in (to Netflix) and enjoy!***

***If it turns out there is stuff not to like and/or you tune in and do not enjoy... no harm, no foul.  And should we ever find ourselves playing in a wargame together, Medieval or otherwise, I will try to make it up to you.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:31:02 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: UK PREMIERE Tues July 2nd: KNIGHTFALL Season 2
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2019, 06:24:27 AM »

In case any UK-based LAFers are interested, Season 2 of KNIGHTFALL will be premiering on History UK on Tuesday July 2nd at 9:00pm.

Hi MG, it's been a while ;) . That might explain why it's not on Netflix UK.

Do you happen to know if it's scheduled to be on Netflix UK?

I watched the first series and it wasn't too bad though I did have to suspend belief on many occasions. Even though I understand it for the average viewer one of my pet hates for TV/film of the medieval era is when they have one army dressed entirely one way the entirely another way! It just drives me nuts but I'm happy to say that I can (kind of) put it to one side if the narrative is OK.

Knightfall is 100% better then that awful Last Knights which I just cannot watch at all.

Kind Regards

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: KNIGHTFALL Season 2 now available on NETFLIX
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2019, 05:57:50 AM »
Darrell,

Great to hear from you and to see you out and about the hobby related inter-webs!

On the other hand, it's a serious bummer for me to hear that KnightFall is in fact NOT as of yet available on Netflix.UK -- the friend who told me it was available internationally is located in India, and I wrongly assumed that Netflix brought new material out on the many and varied different markets outside the US at the same time.  Stupid assumption on my part, no doubt driven by wishful thinking.  My sincere apologies to you and any other UK LAFers whose expectations I mistakenly raised.  I've tried to track down specifics on when it will become available in the UK, but so far I haven't been able to get an answer.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Season One, at least for the most part.  As I repeat incessantly, I had nothing to do with it, so have no claim whatsoever to any credit for it.  I hear you RE: your issue with "Medieval" armies dressing in perfectly uniform "uniforms."  In Season 2 we tried to ride that line, with the Royal Household troops of France wearing slight variations on the same "uniform," and Templar Brothers and Sergeants doing the same.  We impressed on the wardrobe and props departments that the more variation the better.  I'm curious to hear what you think of Season Two when and if you get to see it, and hope it at least lives up to your "not too bad" judgement of Season One, and hopefully exceeds it -- even if just slightly!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:01:45 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2019, 06:15:44 AM »
Darrell,

Great to hear from you and to see you out and about the hobby related inter-webs!

Thanks MG, 'tis good to be back  :)

On the other hand, it's a serious bummer for me to hear that KnightFall is in fact NOT as of yet available on Netflix.UK -- the friend who told me it was available internationally is located in India, and I wrongly assumed that Netflix brought new material out on the many and varied different markets outside the US at the same time.  Stupid assumption on my part, no doubt driven by wishful thinking.

Not stupid at all as most of the Netflix stuff makes it onto the UK site. It's probably just a matter of time, they will need to weigh up the pros ans cons of releasing at a certain date. I've done some serious binging on the first series, not to mention shows like Stranger Things, that offer an amazing emotional, humerous and somewhat historically explicit ride through the eighties!  lol

My sincere apologies to you and any other UK LAFers whose expectations I mistakenly raised.  I've tried to track down specifics on when it will become available in the UK, but so far I haven't been able to get an answer.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Season One, at least for the most part.  As I repeat incessantly, I had nothing to do with it, so have no claim whatsoever to any credit for it.  I hear you RE: your issue with "Medieval" armies dressing in perfectly uniform "uniforms."  In Season 2 we tried to ride that line, with the Royal Household troops of France wearing slight variations on the same "uniform," and Templar Brothers and Sergeants doing the same.  We impressed on the wardrobe and props departments that the more variation the better.  I'm curious to hear what you think of Season Two when and if you get to see it, and hope it at least lives up to your "not too bad" judgement of Season One, and hopefully exceeds it -- even if just slightly!

It's inevitable as it would be a night mare knowing who was who in a battlefield situation if you had an untrained eye. It's a factor that, over time and watching many series, movies etc has driven me less insane  lol . Having said that, I will can't get over the 'Welsh' shields in The Last Kingdom with the holes in the middle!!  :? I doubt that I ever will  lol lol lol

Now, I think I'll pop over to your blog and take a look to see how's the NWF treating you these days  lol

Kind Regards

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2019, 12:17:22 PM »
Vikings has to be one of the worst offenders in the ‘lets give each army a specific uniform’ category. Each Saxon kingdom has a monopoly on helmet design, with the men of Wessex wearing C16th burgonets  :o. Who knew they had gone out of fashion between 1066 and 1500? Different shield shapes per kingdom and different armour styles per kingdom as well. The Vikings are the best though with not a shirt of mail or helmet between them!
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2019, 01:13:41 PM »
Vikings has to be one of the worst offenders in the ‘lets give each army a specific uniform’ category. Each Saxon kingdom has a monopoly on helmet design, with the men of Wessex wearing C16th burgonets  :o. Who knew they had gone out of fashion between 1066 and 1500? Different shield shapes per kingdom and different armour styles per kingdom as well. The Vikings are the best though with not a shirt of mail or helmet between them!

I think that Last Kingdom must be even worse in that department. And the irony is that Bernard Cornwall might not be the best book writer but he tends to present a quite accurate image of the historical timeframe that his tales are taking place in. All those hideous wardrobe and arms choices are made by the tv serial production team.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »
I think that Last Kingdom must be even worse in that department. And the irony is that Bernard Cornwall might not be the best book writer but he tends to present a quite accurate image of the historical timeframe that his tales are taking place in. All those hideous wardrobe and arms choices are made by the tv serial production team.

Yep!  :)

It's a bit of a mess.....

KR

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
With a moniker like that you should know!

Offline AndyG

• Bookworm
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »
Hi

Series 1 showing on Sundays at 10pm on Blaze, I’m watching it now.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2019, 01:46:25 AM »
Recording and watching Series 2  on free to air in Oz.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
There is a tradition in British TV that all sorts of new programmes are aired at the start of Autumn. I imagine the Netflix people have done their research.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2019, 06:38:59 PM »
Ethan

Watched season two a few weeks back this series had a much better feel to it than season one.
Well done your historical background has obviously influenced the direction the second series has taken albeit the wagon mounted ballista did make me wince a wee bit.
Looking forward to season three ? there's a good story in there as the Templars disperse  across the continent rumour has it a contingent made their way to Scotland.
Even better renegade Templar Roger De Flors story is crying out to be told!

Willie

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2019, 12:16:48 AM »
Willie!!!!  Great to hear from you my friend!  Your comments are KILLING ME right now -- in a good way, mostly!  I can't say much (at least not yet) except to tell you that we actually SHOT THE INTRO OF ROGER DE FLOR AT SEA as part of a tacked-on ending which the powers-that-be wanted to add to the season finale... but which they then decided against, and so was left on the cutting-room floor.

On a more purely positive note, I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed Season Two overall, and to have seen it as being a bit more historically inclined than its predecessor, and appreciate you letting me know, even more so for having done so in public!  RE: the wagon mounted ballista...

Are you not familiar with the carroballistas of both ancient Roman and 16th Century Europa, which bracket the period in question???

I jest, but only slightly!  But I also hear you and empathize with your wincing.  I only hope we can discuss further over scotch whiskey or cold American beer the next time we are lucky enough to meet in person!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:29:21 PM by Mad Guru »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2019, 07:30:04 AM »
I watched series 1 and when  I managed to suspend my disbelief it was not a bad medieval romp, more 'Soapie with Swords' than any serious attempt to depict history. But so be it. Any story that tries to depict the Grail as a magical artefact is doomed from the start  :)

I will watch Season 2 when it comes out, and if what you are telling me is correct, then I expect to be pleasantly surprised.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »
Hi Ethan,

I had quite forgot about carroballistas but now you have reminded me I must get some haha.
 I'm sure the Templars would have tapped into ancient writings/drawings on their travels and added this to their arsenal.
Likewise hope to meet at some point in the future it would be great to discuss over a drink!

Best wishes
Willie