Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:07:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wars of the Roses in San Diego  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Wars of the Roses in San Diego
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:27:31 PM »
Here in San Diego, my local historical wargames club is in the midst of a Wars of the Roses group project. We have been painting since around July, playing since around October and today are kicking off a Lion Rampant campaign. This is the first group project of this kind I've participated in and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The Lion Rampant rules aren't to my taste but they allow for a, 8-10 multiplayer game on a weekday evening at the shop in 3.5 hours from arrival to having it all packed in cars and departing, or several 1:1 games in the same timeframe. I'm also hoping to play some game-mastered historical battles with other rules. Now that the club has a huge collection of painted minis to choose from, we should be able to something grand.

Here are a few shots I grabbed with my phone showing part of my painted force. I plan to follow up with shots of the finished units but I still need to add foliage and varnish most of them (though the continentals/Swiss shown here are fully done).

And some additional pics of battles with other forces from the club Flickr photo archive. You can see many more pics on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124196980@N02/albums

20181030_192544 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

Gallowglass:
20181030_192546 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

Continental/Swiss crosswbowmen:
20181113_180811 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

Blue and Murray:
20181113_180815 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

Fight for the hill objective:
20181211_192525 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:42:42 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
Re: Wars of the Roses in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »
Allow me to share a few more more shots of game nights showing others' forces:

20181030_172554 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

20181030_172936 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

20181030_174942 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

20181211_174257 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

20181211_174403 by San Diego  Historical Gamer, on Flickr

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:03:06 PM »
Very nice looking table and figures!   :)
Been playing with toy soldiers since the mid 70s.  Not planning to grow up any time soon.

Offline coopman827

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »
Very nice looking figures and terrain. 

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »
Wow! That is an impressive looking battle!

Offline Veteran Sergeant

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 03:58:22 AM »
Very cool. Whereabouts do you guys play?  I'm local to San Diego, and I know a couple other guys who are WotR enthusiasts as well. They've been mostly doing Coat of Steel, but might be interested in Lion Rampant. All of my figures are dual-based.

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
Great looking table and some nice minis, what make are the gallowglass? They could come in handy for GOT as Ironborn
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 06:43:59 AM »
Thanks all! :)

Very cool. Whereabouts do you guys play?  I'm local to San Diego, and I know a couple other guys who are WotR enthusiasts as well. They've been mostly doing Coat of Steel, but might be interested in Lion Rampant. All of my figures are dual-based.
Hey, great to run into another SD gamer here! We play at Game Empire nearly every Tuesday evening and I'll PM you a link to our Facebook. Funny you mention Coat of Steel as have just recently found it and looked it over and am intrigued by it. I even spent several hours making sense of the jumble of files and reformatting a new PDF from the Word file that can be read on a Kindle. It is much more my style than Lion Rampant and I have been thinking of trying to sell some others in the club on it, not as a replacement to the Lion Rampant campaign, but as something on the side or later on. Where I got hung up is how to make all the chits and cards, etc. What they really need to do is format it for the Game Crafter system so it can be printed on demand on quality materials. Anyway, if you and others have experience, I would be very interested in joining or watching a game of yours, or possibly arranging a learning game with some other club members. I have my figures based on 20mm widths for flexibility but as you can see above others have opted for 25mm rounds.

Great looking table and some nice minis, what make are the gallowglass? They could come in handy for GOT as Ironborn

Old Glory. I like them quite a bit, though I got them before the Perry and Claymore-now-Antediluvian ones came out, which are nicer, but cost between 2 and 3 times the price. I have some Perry ones now to paint up and put in the front rank, and may get the Antediluvian ones too. There are 5 Old Glory sculpts but I did over a dozen head swaps along with a few facial hair mods to give a lot more variety.