Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:01:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which rules?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
Which rules?
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:48:05 AM »
Looking at a multi-player pulp adventure for the local club.  Which rules and locals would you recomend for this type of game.  Prefer something simple to intro the members to this period/area.

Thanks in Advance.
Dave
Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
www.WargamingMiniatures.com

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Which rules?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 01:25:28 AM »
On this forum, you'll get a near-unanimous suggestion of Pulp Alley.

There's a reason for that level of consensus - it's one of, if not the best miniature Adventure-Skirmish rules ever published.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 01:43:42 AM »
A second recommendation for Pulp Alley.  Just a terrific set of rules.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:48:32 AM »
Fram is right. A decade ago the answer might have been .45 Adventure from Rattrap. But for the last decade Pulp Alley has been dominating this genre of gaming. There are some other options that will sometimes be mentioned. But Pulp Alley is at least 75% of what we discuss these days, if not more. Here's why:

1. Was developed to play with kids --- this means that it's simple enough to teach to a kid, is fast playing enough to hold a kid's interest, and is not too graphic in the details of how wounds happen (you're not looking up how a .45 slug nearly took off the character's arm so that the character will bleed out and die in X turns).

2. Being kid friendly also means that it may be palatable for wives, girlfriends, and friends who might not like too graphic a description of wounds and death, or too slow and detailed a system, allowing more people to share the fun experience with you.

3. System allows for solo play, two player, or multiplayer (up to about 5), with or without a game master. This means you can enjoy it in a variety of ways.

4. Card system is fun.

5. Doesn't require big space or a lot of miniatures.

I would say more, but I need to go drink a beer. I'll leave you with one image from a Pulp Alley game:

Sailors have more fun!

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 02:01:04 AM »
Another vote for Pulp Alley - accept no substitutes.

A miniatures game that also allows you to add as many RPG elements as you wish to your gameplay, especially if you run it with a dedicated Umpire.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:58:49 AM »
Again with the Pulp Alley.  I love it for its simple versatility.

And I do not disagree with any of the above comments.  Not even Warren's.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:35:12 AM »
And I do not disagree with any of the above comments.  Not even Warren's.

lol

I once went back and read every thread in this Pulp section of LAF in order to trace the development of Pulp Alley and how it gradually supplanted .45 Adventure as the "go to" set of rules for this genre. Pulp Alley was extensively playtested over a number of years. It was not released in a "half-baked" condition. What was there was what actually worked as a game.

Pulp Alley doesn't come from a "wargame" heritage. It's not a simulation. The closest thing I can compare it to is Savage Worlds, the light role-playing game. Pulp Alley is entirely about having fun.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 06:36:12 AM »
One of the amazing things about Pulp Alley is both how incredibly versatile yet straight forward the rule set is. A big part of that is the Plot Point/Peril/Challenge system which, although vague with regards to details (those are left up to the players), it allows a quick resolution to every risky situation, feat of daring or item/NPC  a character can encounter. Quite "tight" actually.

I also like In Her Majesty's Name but it is really geasred toward a specific period.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:26:17 AM »
Yes, another Pulp Alley vote. I agree with the above comments.The rules really are excellent for multiplayer games.

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Pulp Alley, for all the above reasons, and because it is just inherently so much fun to play.  In 30 years of miniature gaming, I've never seen a game system that can do so many things so effortlessly and so well.  If you can think it up, you can game it out in Pulp Alley.  In recent Pulp Alley games I have:
  • Fought with undead pirates to recover a lost treasure.
  • Solved the mystery of a missing gang lord.
  • Staged a dogfight between a flock of harpies and a flying light delivery van.
To conclude, here is a shot of some cowboys taking on an invasion of Cthulhu monsters, in Pulp Alley:

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
No need to say any more, it's all been said!

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »
Depending on how many players you have you might need to think how to go about setting things up, Pulp Alley depending on the scenario been played works for between 2-4 players, above 4 Dave thinks your better off splitting the game into to different tables, so if 6 players go 3 &3.

If you've a lot of players & wanted more of a RPG feel with everyone on the same table then astonishing tales would work & its very rules light, or 45 adventure would also work, tbh I don't think you go wrong with any of the 3, its more just down to what you want :)

Offline Ghost

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Pulp Alley fits perfectly but I think we can also mention "Fistful of Lead: Galactic Heroes" which can very well adapt to pulp, even if it is originally intended for sci-fi.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »
I think that, surprisingly, nobody mentions Pulp Alley yet !?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
If Pulp's up your alley, it really has to be...sorry, the name escapes me. I'm sure someone will mention it, though.