Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:47:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Our Ghost Archipelago Campaign 2019 (Mysterious City Report Posted 5.16.19)  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Knabe

• Bookworm
Re: Our Ghost Archipelago Campaign 2019 (Knabe's report, posted Feb.26.19)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 11:06:24 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Knabe

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
  • Rules Author, Dealer In Antiquities, Mad Scientist
    • My Blog: One More Gaming Project
Re: Our Ghost Archipelago Campaign 2019 (Knabe's report, posted Feb.26.19)
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
     As we mentioned,   we played our second game of the campaign this past Saturday, doing a home-brewed scenario called Spider Island.  My Heritor's report has now been posted along with a bunch of pictures:
https://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2019/02/ghost-archipelago-19-game-2-spider.html

I hope you enjoy it!

"...Crewman Corel had slowly been scaling one of the temple columns to see what he could see from on top.  He had finally reached the flat stones of the architrave running across the top of the columns; and standing, noticed a small chest resting atop the point of the pediment.  He also noticed a pair of large hairy chitinous legs slowly rising from the opposite corner of the temple.  He stood in shock as more of the Huge Tree Spider came into view, as it slowly crawled up the far side of the pediment.  It was almost as big as one of their landing boats!    He could see its sparkling glassy eyes considering him.  Every instinct in the Crewman's little body told him to flee; but he knew that in all likelihood the beast could move faster than he could climb down the columns, and jumping down would be certain death.  Bravely he brandished his sword, and took slow hesitant steps towards the monster..."

"I have wrought my simple plan,
if I give one hour's joy,
to the boy who's half a man,
or the man who's half a boy!"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Our Ghost Archipelago Campaign 2019 (Spider Island, posted Feb.28.19)
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 01:26:00 PM »
looking forward to a read later on.

hadn't taken in that your heritor's boat is called 'the jolly scallop'  lol

Offline Kaiphranos

• Student
Re: Our Ghost Archipelago Campaign 2019 (Spider Island, posted Feb.28.19)
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »
So, my Heritor is the "Lord Barl" mentioned in Knabe's last report. (I was Kragmar in the previous campaign.) An incident in this most recent game inspired me to write up a bit of a battle report, and Chris invited me to cross-post it here:

https://junkyardplanet.blogspot.com/2019/02/ghost-archipelago-spider-island.html

(Didn't take many pictures, but that's my crew up top - Barl is the hammer-wielding fellow on the left, and Lorria is the dark-haired woman next to him.)

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
 :D great stuff guys...look forward to the next game...thanks fo sharing!!!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
The table is awesome and especially the monumental statue has the right amount of pulpy feeling!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
goodness me - short but sweet. What a brilliant piece of game report prose. Beautifully written.
hope you can keep it up, along with CPalmer and Knabe.

really nice paint-work on your band of figures too.

So, my Heritor is the "Lord Barl" mentioned in Knabe's last report. (I was Kragmar in the previous campaign.) An incident in this most recent game inspired me to write up a bit of a battle report, and Chris invited me to cross-post it here:

https://junkyardplanet.blogspot.com/2019/02/ghost-archipelago-spider-island.html

(Didn't take many pictures, but that's my crew up top - Barl is the hammer-wielding fellow on the left, and Lorria is the dark-haired woman next to him.)

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
looking forward to a read later on.

hadn't taken in that your heritor's boat is called 'the jolly scallop'  lol

Yes.  lol   I was brainstorming names for a Halfling captained boat, and that just seemed right...

:D great stuff guys...look forward to the next game...thanks fo sharing!!!

Thank's  LiamFrostfang!   Hard to believe the next game is just a week away!

The table is awesome and especially the monumental statue has the right amount of pulpy feeling!

Thanks!  Several of the guys provide bits for the set up, so it's something of a team effort.  Here's the build article for the monumental statue (if this is the one you mean)  http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2018/06/temple-of-sorceress-of-sea-ghost.html

goodness me - short but sweet. What a brilliant piece of game report prose. Beautifully written.

Yes, I agree Kaiphranos' write-up is excellent.  It's one of the reasons I encouraged him to post it here.  And I too hope he keeps it up.   The scene he depicts was rather dramatic in real life too.    We all sit around after the game and roll for injuries, treasures, etc., and Kaiphranos  announces dejectedly that his Heritor died.  We all offer our sympathies, but then he is rolling his treasure, and announces he got one with herbs.  And they turn out to be Lingleberries!    He asks us all if he can put them to immediate us, and we say sure why not. But then the realization that he needs to roll a 15+ for them to work.  And we're all standing there watching the roll, not hopeful; and he succeeds!  A really cool moment, especially to see it all unfold bit by bit.   :)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
well, that is great to know Chris.

I almost put in my reply to Kaiphranos' write-up that I hoped the game was as good as his prose - and it was, as you describe !
Brilliant.

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
well, that is great to know Chris.

I almost put in my reply to Kaiphranos' write-up that I hoped the game was as good as his prose - and it was, as you describe !
Brilliant.

Thanks, Bloggard!

And I just saw R. Dean's (Cassilda Blackmane's) report has been posted!

Here's the link: http://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/2019/03/2019-ghost-archipelago-campaign-game-2.html

Offline Kaiphranos

• Student
The scene he depicts was rather dramatic in real life too.    We all sit around after the game and roll for injuries, treasures, etc., and Kaiphranos  announces dejectedly that his Heritor died.  We all offer our sympathies, but then he is rolling his treasure, and announces he got one with herbs.  And they turn out to be Lingleberries!    He asks us all if he can put them to immediate us, and we say sure why not. But then the realization that he needs to roll a 15+ for them to work.  And we're all standing there watching the roll, not hopeful; and he succeeds!  A really cool moment, especially to see it all unfold bit by bit.   :)

Yes, rolled a 1 for Heritor survival, then a 20 on the Herbs and Potions table, then another 20 for the check. Dice are fickle creatures. :) Though given Barl's track record so far, I did give some serious consideration to sailing home, selling the berries, and getting a new Heritor - by my calculations, the new one would have come in at the same level...

Thank you!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
...  I just saw R. Dean's (Cassilda Blackmane's) report has been posted!

Here's the link: http://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/2019/03/2019-ghost-archipelago-campaign-game-2.html

nice write-up again.

like the crewman hiding in the ruins until nightfall to escape a giant spider - how did that play out in game terms (unless we have a bit of artistic licence here ...) ?
I do like the ms. maps some of you guys do...

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
nice write-up again.

like the crewman hiding in the ruins until nightfall to escape a giant spider - how did that play out in game terms (unless we have a bit of artistic licence here ...) ?
I do like the ms. maps some of you guys do...

We end our games, as per the rules, whenever the first crew has been eliminated from the table or leaves the table completely.  And we end it at that very moment; so the other crews are left with figures on the table, and some of these are carrying treasure.  We rule in our games, that if you have control of a treasure at game's end, even if you didn't exit the table with it, you get to keep it.   So, sometimes figures in a protected or hard-to-get-down-from places will choose just to stay put until the game ends (nightfall).  So in this case Cassilda's crewman opted to stay in place on top of the temple until another crew entirely left the table (ending the game), as his climbing down during the game might bring about a combat with the spider.

So, it is a little bit of artistic license, but it is based on something that happens in the game.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
ah, right. Interesting, to allow players to 'hide-out' like that - but I guess it's up to the others to force the issue, game-time remaining.

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
ah, right. Interesting, to allow players to 'hide-out' like that - but I guess it's up to the others to force the issue, game-time remaining.

Right.  It's always a bit of a gamble because you never really know when the game will end, and you never know when someone will decide to pursue your abandoned figure, or a wandering beastie will move within 10 inches of it. 

And it makes sense realistically that someone might try to hide in a safe spot until the coast was clear. 

From another viewpoint, it has always been what we assume happens with this figures KO'd but not killed during the game.  At some point, from a narrative sense, the "Fine" and "Badly Wounded" figures  have to revive themselves and make it back to their boat.